Sign in to follow this  
FrankK

Concerns re MSFS2020 current features

Greetings All,

I have been using ALL versions of Microsoft Fight Simulator since the first SUBLOGIC one by Bruce Artwick more than 40 years ago. I have just purchased Premium Deluxe MSFS2020.
There are certainly many things to be impressed about and the designers are commended for the many great features included. I love the clouds, rain, storms, and high resolution terrain overall. I have flown over many towns and all look quite realistic.

However, while it is understandable there are still issues with the package when attempting to cover the entire world, and with aircraft instrumentation let me point out my current irritations/disappointments:

1.    The current version is clearly not open architecture as was FSX where I could have modified those ridiculous looking strobing props of a number of MSFS2020 aircraft. The developers of those aircraft must have only seen actual props using a video camera or certain film takes of actual real props. Many video or film versions create strobing because of camera shutter interference. Props in reality create a uniform circular pattern. It was done very much better and correctly in FSX. Some MSFS2020 aircraft props are OK but many are not. I find the strobing quite annoying when viewed through the aircraft windscreen.

2.    I just tried to load up the MSFS2020 SDK and it got blocked near the end of download with the comment that ‘it would harm my system’. What is going on here? Apparently ASOBO have not registered the file as belonging to MSFS2020 and therefore legal.

3.    The mountains around Mt Everest have unrealistic rounded tops that look like melted ice-cream poured over the tops. Sure it was a common problem in other sims also but this needs to be fixed as it looks unrealistic.

4.    I’m very disappointed with the retrograde offering of the WAVE simulation that now looks rather dull and lifeless as a mill pond. The Wave option in FS2020 even when set HIGH has essentially no influence. Apparently the WAVE simulation was a performance issue for many although for me and many others it certainly was not. ASOBO should return the WAVE simulation in its original form but have the WAVE option with an ON/OFF switch option as well as LOW, MEDIUM and HIGH settings, with the OFF setting as the sea and water is currently set in MSFS2020.

5.    The ICON A5 aircraft is a fine model except for the missing sea wash created when landing on water. This feature was available even in FSX.

Cheers.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

This list can go on much  further. We hope Asobo eventually fix everything eventually and expand SDK. I'm afraid it may take at least a year.

• Upvote 1

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

My 2cents: be (extremely!) happy with what we have. Could we have even imagined that a year ago !???....

mb3391.jpg

• Like 8
  • Upvote 1

Jan

I'm concerned by the apparently wrong physics which I'm afraid is harder to fix, being in the very core. An example: A320N, appropriate take-off thrust for the take-off weight of 70 tons, V1, rotate, pitch 15 degrees up in 5 seconds. If everything worked as it should, then the acceleration should gradually cease in agreement with the pitch, i.e. the airspeed should stabilize when the 15 degrees pitch is reached. But it does not! The acceleration vector on the ASI tape is very positive at the end of rotation and then shrinks, even though both the pitch and the thrust are constant. This indicates something is wrong in the dynamical simulation of the flight.

• Upvote 3

Darn.. Ask for your money back!

• Like 1

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

Have we set a record of these kind of posts that pop up every day?   Most of your list has been mentioned many times even in the Alpha Beta stages and most are on a list to be at the very least investigated or are being worked on. Look thru the official forums.   Frustrations/Disappointment?   Of course there will be.  How can a project of this magnitude not have them let alone have very few.  Look where we are with P3D and XP. Its taken years to get where its a fairly decent platform and 3PDs know it well for workarounds.  They just look cartoonish relative to MSFS.  Enjoy the sim and be apart of it growing up to maturity.   It certainly wont be quick, but it will get there. 

• Like 8
  • Upvote 1

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

When all is said and done, msfs shows a lot of promise, but fails to deliver. Yet. There's a whole gamut of issues that appear with each update - so much so that after the last update we had to either manually edit the manifest.json files or remove the community liveries completely for now. The texturing makes truly authentic livery repainting extremely difficult, as does the "decal" system. There are also more than just a few handling issues with almost each aircraft giving one or the other user grief - like when you pause, the physics keep "flying" the aircraft and you get into real problems on unpausing because the AP has been trying to keep that stationary aircraft flying.

I don't think Asobo took on enough realworld aviators for a thorough betatesting and those who were there quite often weren't taken seriously enough.

Certainly, I get the feeling that msfs is only in a paid late alpha stage still. After all - two very essential items are missing - gliders and helicopters. FSX came with it's own share of problems, but looking back through some of the early comments, there was not such a level of anger and frustration about FSX. Even that epic fail "Flight!" was not shouted at as much as Asobo are getting.

Yet having said all that, I do think msfs shows great promise. I have started to collect a lot of comparisons to flights over places I do know from the air, day, night, IFR, VFR... and the eye-candy is living up to expectations. It might take a year for most of the issues to get sorted, but if we keep our cool, we could be onto a winner - if Asobo listens.

• Like 1

Chris Brisland - the repainter known as EagleSkinner is back from the dead. Perhaps. Or maybe not.

System: Intel I9 32 GB RAM, nVidia RTX 3090 graphics 24 GB VRAM, three 32" Samsung monitors, Logitech yoke, pedals, switch panel, multi panel

Is there anything good in msfs? 

I know there are a lot to fix in this sim, but I still enjoy it every day. This kind of threads are becoming like old and broken records. Please, go back to FSX if it makes you happy. No one forces you to play MSFS. Go and ask a refund and get over with. 

• Like 10

9900k@5GHz, 32GB@3200 RAM, Strix RTX 2080ti, VKB Gladiator mkii, VKB rudder pedals 

3 hours ago, FrankK said:

However, while it is understandable there are still issues with the package when attempting to cover the entire world

3.    The mountains around Mt Everest have unrealistic rounded tops that look like melted ice-cream poured over the tops. Sure it was a common problem in other sims also but this needs to be fixed as it looks unrealistic.

Having a ultra high res DEM for the entire world, is still a long way. To stream it, people are gonna have to have crazy internet speed, wich probably means 3/4 of the player base would not be able to fly. Make it a downloadable DLC, and you probably have a few 1To SSD filled with just the DEM.

What people dont understand is, if Asobo "fixed" everything they asked to be fixed, it would render the sim unusable for a big portion of the simmer base. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FrankK said:

let me point out my current irritations/disappointments:

Why? Do you not think there is enough **** flying around on here? If as you say above, you have been using FS for forty years (as have most of the true flight simmers here) you should be aware of the trials and tribulations faced by all newly released software, you were obviously not part of the P3Dv5 release debacle! because this post would never have materialised had you been. If as you say, you sort of enjoy MSFS why not post your comments where they will do the most good on the Microsoft/Asobo support forum. However if all you require is confirmation of your observations knock yourself out and join the "let me tell you how much I hate MSFS club"!!

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR and BATC FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!

Indeed, these comments from so-called long term FS experts, with their totally unreasonable opinions & expectations, and the idea that, because they have been simming since the Wright brothers started flying, that their word is gospel & thinking that we really care with their 'entitled' utterances,...., 2nd post on Avsim, after 40 years of simming..

Seriously?? Ask for your refund, join the club, elsewhere.. begone.. we do not need such negativity, that you think that we need to hear.

Remember, it's just a game!!

• Like 2

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

2 hours ago, HighTowers said:

Have we set a record of these kind of posts that pop up every day?

1 hour ago, zemez said:

Is there anything good in msfs? 

I know there are a lot to fix in this sim, but I still enjoy it every day. This kind of threads are becoming like old and broken records. Please, go back to FSX if it makes you happy. No one forces you to play MSFS. Go and ask a refund and get over with. 

4 minutes ago, SierraHotel said:

Why? Do you not think there is enough **** flying around on here? If as you say above, you have been using FS for forty years (as have most of the true flight simmers here) you should be aware of the trials and tribulations faced by all newly released software, you were obviously not part of the P3Dv5 release debacle! because this post would never have materialised had you been. If as you say, you sort of enjoy MSFS why not post your comments where they will do the most good on the Microsoft/Asobo support forum. However if all you require is confirmation of your observations knock yourself out and join the "let me tell you how much I hate MSFS club"!!

Wow! What a welcome you all have given to someone new to Avsim.

*No-one forced you to read this thread!*

Maybe they were unaware of the other threads / didn't know how to use the search function. Or just possibly, this is the OP's only channel to express themselves about MSFS.

At least there are some people who are willing to accept that the OP has some points about the criticism, but can still present a positive outlook for MSFS.

Remember: If you don't like the look of a thread, you don't have to read it and you certainly don't have to respond.

• Like 7
  • Upvote 6

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

I'm puzzled, everyday, by the reactions some posts get here at the MFS AVSIM Forum just because the authors DARE to share their thoughts about what they don't like about MFS, even when they make clear they do like the platform for the many reasons it should appeal to anyone who likes flight simulation...

Heck, isn't a Forum supposed to be a place where we share our thoughts, in correct language and not in a trolling mood, or even with trolling mood because sometimes it can be justified ?

It's becoming truly RIDICULOUS and SAD !

• Like 11
  • Upvote 8

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

6 minutes ago, F737NG said:

Wow! What a welcome you all have given to someone new to Avsim.

If your gonna jump in the ring with your boxing gloves on.... Mike Tyson aint gonna care if its your first fight.........  start counting to 10,  you get the point

Edited by Garys