Sign in to follow this  
FrankK

Concerns re MSFS2020 current features

4 minutes ago, Moria15 said:

Those figures are in no way confirmed by Steam Spy for this title.  The figures are slightly down on online usage but by no more than a few percent since launch

https://steamcharts.com/app/1250410#3m

Going off topic, people!  You know what that means!🚽

• Like 1

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Perhaps I don't have much of an attention span, but I wonder in a few months from now and still no quality airliners in MSFS, if the negativity may start to domino. I do think MSFS has amazing potential, but I am thinking that over time more and more folks will start to become bored with the current aircraft available. I suppose only time will tell. I have pretty much hit that point already.

Cheers, Pete

• Like 1

Pete Solov - Lake in the Hills 3CK

and Schaumburg Regional 06C
Proud AOPA Member - PPL 2001
Real World Piper Cherokee Pilot

1.    The current version is clearly not open architecture as was FSX where I could have modified those ridiculous looking strobing props of a number of MSFS2020 aircraft. The developers of those aircraft must have only seen actual props using a video camera or certain film takes of actual real props. Many video or film versions create strobing because of camera shutter interference. Props in reality create a uniform circular pattern. It was done very much better and correctly in FSX. Some MSFS2020 aircraft props are OK but many are not. I find the strobing quite annoying when viewed through the aircraft windscreen.  

There is sure to be some graphic infidelity in the system.  In many cases such artistic license is taken because the effect is considered "cool".  One example of this is lens flare.  As human beings, we don't experience it.  We never see it UNLESS we are looking at filmed material.  Yet almost every game as it as standard.  Why?  Because it looks cool.  A real pilot flying doesn't experience lens flare, only a camera peering out the window does.  So why do we have it if we never experience it in person?  Because it looks cool.  I would take this one down as personal taste rather than an actual bug.

2.    I just tried to load up the MSFS2020 SDK and it got blocked near the end of download with the comment that ‘it would harm my system’. What is going on here? Apparently ASOBO have not registered the file as belonging to MSFS2020 and therefore legal.

Asobo has no control on this.  This is a feature of Microsoft Defender SmartScreen:  https://docs.microsoft.com/windows/security/threat-protection/windows-defender-smartscreen/windows-defender-smartscreen-overview

Microsoft Defender SmartScreen determines whether a downloaded app or app installer is potentially malicious by:

• Checking downloaded files against a list of reported malicious software sites and programs known to be unsafe. If it finds a match, Microsoft Defender SmartScreen shows a warning to let the user know that the site might be malicious.  
  • Checking downloaded files against a list of files that are well known and downloaded by many Windows users. If the file isn't on that list, Microsoft Defender SmartScreen shows a warning, advising caution.

The sdk installer is not "well known and downloaded" enough to prevent SmartScreen from issuing the warning, and msi files are indeed potentially dangerous.  

3.    The mountains around Mt Everest have unrealistic rounded tops that look like melted ice-cream poured over the tops. Sure it was a common problem in other sims also but this needs to be fixed as it looks unrealistic.

This is due to the DEM level of the mesh used to render the area.  More granular DEM equals more accurate mountain elevations but also requires more CPU overhead to render.  Also higher resolution DEM requires more streaming data since that data now is streaming from the azure servers instead of your own SDD or HDD. 

In previous sims, we could store DEM data on our hard drives.  We could purchase areas of high resolution DEM and streaming wasn't a concern because the high accuracy DEM was stored locally.  That is no longer the case.  A very basic DEM is stored locally for offline use, and higher detail is stored on the cloud servers.  Cloud servers that are owned and operated by Microsoft.  

Since these servers are owned by Microsoft, and you get the benefit of over 2 Petabytes of scenery data at no additional cost to you, I think it's fair to let them decide what DEM levels they choose for which regions.  I suppose MS could offer a "Platinum level" simulation tier where simmers could pay a subscription rate and have exclusive access to areas with increased DEM resolution and more photogrammetric areas, I feel, judging on the attitudes of many here, that would go over like flatulence in church.

4.    I’m very disappointed with the retrograde offering of the WAVE simulation that now looks rather dull and lifeless as a mill pond. The Wave option in FS2020 even when set HIGH has essentially no influence. Apparently the WAVE simulation was a performance issue for many although for me and many others it certainly was not. ASOBO should return the WAVE simulation in its original form but have the WAVE option with an ON/OFF switch option as well as LOW, MEDIUM and HIGH settings, with the OFF setting as the sea and water is currently set in MSFS2020.

Sounds like a great Zendesk report.  There are links here telling you how to submit a request.  Be sure to include a description of the issue,  A snapshot or video of the issue you are experiencing, and clear comprehensive reproduction steps on how to get the issue to occur as well as your hardware configuration.  This is the basis for an acceptable bug report so that the issues are reported clearly and as accurately as possible.

5.    The ICON A5 aircraft is a fine model except for the missing sea wash created when landing on water. This feature was available even in FSX.

Another great Zendesk report.  

11 minutes ago, sd_flyer said:

Data base don believes or feelings has nothing to do with statistic. I think Navigraph did survey that can be used to determine statistical data based on sample size of user who participated. If they would do it again then we can go from there.

Also there is no formal definition of "serious simmers". Some may think they are but they are may be not. And some think they are not and may be they actually are! LOL

There's been an interesting poll at ORBX recently

https://orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/200996-poll-which-simulator-are-you-currently-using/?tab=comments#comment-1718302

which certainly is biased (as are most polls). According to ORBX' Ed Correia there will be a new Navigraph survey forthcoming. Although I would take even those surveys with a grain of salt as the number of active participants will not be fully representative for the basic flightsimmer population.

And btw., I  belong to the first category who think they are serious simmers while they are actually not.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Just now, charliearon said:

Going off topic, people!  You know what that means!🚽

At least before you lock it....let everyone get some Marisa viewing (I know they can after the lock but nobody will come back in here) hehe. 

I TRIED to break the pattern of tit-for-tat with some humor....but seems like the pot has boiled over for some and they are heII-bent on making a line in the sand.....well...speaking of sand...maybe a short beach vacation for them from the forum?   They could sit in virtual cabanas, drinking virtual drinks with little umbrellas in them, chant "Goosfraba" for a while, and maybe be refreshed when they come back? 🙂

• Like 1

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

2 minutes ago, PilotPete99 said:

Perhaps I don't have much of an attention span, but I wonder in a few months from now and still no quality airliners in MSFS, if the negativity may start to domino. I do think MSFS has amazing potential, but I am thinking that over time more and more folks will start to become bored with the current aircraft available. I suppose only time will tell. I have pretty much hit that point already.

Cheers, Pete

Yea, but that basically means that each and everyone of us absolutely want good airliners to be able to call MSFS a "proper" sim. I dont think thats true, its certainely not true for me. Give me a study level GA anyday over a PMDG, QW, or FSLabs. 

8 minutes ago, Steve Dra said:

Doesn't seem to be working Larry. 😞 

OK...THAT movie (Anger Management) had Marisa Tomei in it.....didn't seem to work....OK...my last attempt, then I'm giving up on this community.....

If THIS Marisa Tomei clip is not relevant (About pressure and things we can't directly change)...and can't make people laugh and take a break from the hostility....NOTHING will! 🙂

My Cousin Vinny also worked.

First, watching Marissa Tomei walk back and forth took my mind off of responding.

Second, Joe Pesci was the guy that got Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons together.  So, instead of thinking about a response I would later regret here, I pulled up my Spotify and listened to some "Big Girls Don't Cry" and "Sherry".  Now who want's to ruin a good mood with a negative post after listening to that WHILE watching Marissa walk across the porch.

Not me! 😁  

Just now, leprechaunlive said:

Yea, but that basically means that each and everyone of us absolutely want good airliners to be able to call MSFS a "proper" sim. I dont think thats true, its certainely not true for me. Give me a study level GA anyday over a PMDG, QW, or FSLabs. 

That is a good point, and I agree with you. What is good for some of us certainly isn't the case for all of us. Anyway, I am happy using P3D until MSFS features the aircraft that appeal to me. 

Cheers, Pete

Just now, LarryD said:

My Cousin Vinny also worked.

First, watching Marissa Tomei walk back and forth took my mind off of responding.

Second, Joe Pesci was the guy that got Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons together.  So, instead of thinking about a response I would later regret here, I pulled up my Spotify and listened to some "Big Girls Don't Cry" and "Sherry".  Now who want's to ruin a good mood with a negative post after listening to that WHILE watching Marissa walk across the porch.

Not me! 😁  

Hehe....her outfit was....."interesting"....to say the least!  And her Brooklyn accent....nailed it!  Fred Gwynne (RIP)..."The two youdts" scene....laugh every time I even say that!

Bar far my favorite actress...and MCV (My Cousin Vinny) is probably # 1 or 2 on my all-time favorite movies.  If you can't find something in that movie to laugh at...seek help.

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

8 minutes ago, pmb said:

There's been an interesting poll at ORBX recently

https://orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/200996-poll-which-simulator-are-you-currently-using/?tab=comments#comment-1718302

which certainly is biased (as are most polls). According to ORBX' Ed Correia there will be a new Navigraph survey forthcoming. Although I would take even those surveys with a grain of salt as the number of active participants will not be fully representative for the basic flightsimmer population.

And btw., I  belong to the first category who think they are serious simmers while they are actually not.

Kind regards, Michael

That is interesting poll thanks for sharing. We might want to look back in history and see how many study level aircraft were available upon release of FSX.

As far as serious simmers. I always thought those people who can log sim time IRL are LOL I can't so I'm not! I have little sim time in my RL log book just some G1000 and little multi training! LOL

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

2 minutes ago, leprechaunlive said:

Especially considering that "airliners" weren't even possible until FS4, and then only through ASD.  I don't think an official Airliner was added until FS5

Just now, PilotPete99 said:

That is a good point, and I agree with you. What is good for some of us certainly isn't the case for all of us. Anyway, I am happy using P3D until MSFS features the aircraft that appeal to me. 

Cheers, Pete

Im actually not worried at all, i do think the sim is going in the right direction, althought zigzaging a bit to get there. And actually, a study level airliner is already possible  it seems. The dev from the A32NX mod, basically said (dont quote me on that), that the "incomplete sdk" excuse isnt really valid,. He said that one could totally make a study level aircraft for MSFS with the exsiting SDK. Its just that first they would have to spend many, many hours figuring out what everything does. The SDK is not really incomplete or broken, its just the documentation  thats nearly non existent, so devs are on their own figuring it out. 

5 minutes ago, wthomas33065 said:

Especially considering that "airliners" weren't even possible until FS4, and then only through ASD.  I don't think an official Airliner was added until FS5

Dunno, wasnt born 😄 im kidding, but i got into it round about FS98 (did that existed?) the one prior to FS9, cant remember the name. 

1 minute ago, leprechaunlive said:

Im actually not worried at all, i do think the sim is going in the right direction, althought zigzaging a bit to get there. And actually, a study level airliner is already possible  it seems. The dev from the A32NX mod, basically said (dont quote me on that), that the "incomplete sdk" excuse isnt really valid,. He said that one could totally make a study level aircraft for MSFS with the exsiting SDK. Its just that first they would have to spend many, many hours figuring out what everything does. The SDK is not really incomplete or broken, its just the documentation  thats nearly non existent, so devs are on their own figuring it out. 

I also thought I heard that the Aerosoft CRJ, which I happen to enjoy, is quite a ways along and may be available in the near term. I could be wrong though, but I would be eager to see that in MSFS.

Cheer, Pete