Sign in to follow this  
Guest Vilk

Side Slipping in FSX

Guest Peter R.Ashford

Can any tell me how to side slip in a Cessna 172 (or any other relevant aircraft) . All help would be appreciated.Peter Ashford

Guest Peter R.Ashford

Thanks for the help. I'll practice it.Peter Ashford

Guest Vilk

and don't forget to try it with the realair file. it still offers improvement in some areas, though i spilled my tea the first time i tried to stall her (granted, shouldn't have tried it with a cup of tea in hand :-))

Guest TPN_Turnip

One more note. When slipping, always try to carry an extra 5 knots airspeed. Also, where is this AIRFILE??System Specs:P4 3.0SB LiveATI Radeon X800 GTO (256)1 Gig DDR RAM

Guest wyoming

this manoeuvre is also used to loose altitude fast. That's also a way to land with cross-wind and high wings; you basically land aligned but on 1 wheel.

Guest Funky D

Slipping is one area where the default 172 really lacks... I found it nearly impossible to perform a decent slip during landing. During a slip, the plane should be able to fly sideways in a straight line, and you should be able to lose a decent amount of altitude without gaining airspeed because you're basically using the fuselage of the plane as an airbrake. Addons, please? :)

Hi,There are 2 different kinds of slips... a forward slip and a side slip. Both involve cross control.I've noticed the two terms used interchangeably between pilots and reference matierial alike. Regardless of what you refer to each slip as, the main thing here is that there are 2 different kinds and they are used for different purposes. In my flight training and textbook experience, it was described like this:A forward slip is used to descend at a higher rate while keeping a relatively low airspeed. To do this you kick in full rudder, lower the nose and apply opposite aileron to keep tracking (sideways) in your desired direction. Airplanes without flaps use this very commonly for final approach...A side slip involves using only enough rudder/opposite aileron to counter the crosswind component of the wind, allowing you to track and touch down with the aircraft aligned properly straight down the runway and avoid landing gear stress. This is a maneuver that is done "all the time" at various degrees in pretty much any landing scenario. Some pilots are trained/prefer to enter an appropriate sideslip while on final, while others keep a "crab" angle going until the last minute and enter a very short sideslip just before touchdown. Both ways work. I prefer the crab & kick method myself.As for realism in FSX's simulation of this, the rudder and its affect on the flight dynamics leave a lot to be desired.. it has always been like this with FS. Some 3rd party aircraft do a much better job than the defaults. I believe the real problem affecting realism here is that the fuselage is not considered or computed as an airfoil along with its associated lift and drag highlighted during uncoordinated (yawed) flight. With all that said, crabbing in and kicking into a sideslip just before touchdown does end up being fairly realistic (IMO) even in the defaults. In a stiff crosswind you get the full effect including touching down "wing low" on one side first. Forward slips seem to only offer about 1/2 the increased drag that should be experienced in reality but can still be effective when needed.Best,

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

One user reports that he's having a ball slipping our Liberty XL2! Of course Rob Young did the FDE.:-)

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

>As for realism in FSX's simulation of this, the rudder and its>affect on the flight dynamics leave a lot to be desired.. it>has always been like this with FS. Some 3rd party aircraft do>a much better job than the defaults. I believe the real>problem affecting realism here is that the fuselage is not>considered or computed as an airfoil along with its associated>lift and drag highlighted during uncoordinated (yawed) flight.I don't know if you're referring to RealAir Simulations aircraft or not, as the 3rd party aircraft, but it's been one of RealAir's specialties to simulate forward slips quite effectively. With the RealAir's I can be slipping with the fuselage at an angle, while holding a perfect track towards the runway, loosing both altitude & not increasing airspeed at the same time. These models do a great job, and are probably the best in slipping of all FS addons.And IMO, for effective forward and side slips, rudder pedals are essential for the full effect.L.Adamson

>One user reports that he's having a ball slipping our Liberty>XL2:-)>Okay, I just mentioned RealAir, as you posted this, but I'll assume Rob from RealAir programmed the Liberty's "slipping" mode too?L.Adamsonedit: and I see your posted edited to reflect the fact! :)

Yes, Rob does all of our FDE work:-)

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

Guest Vilk

does anyone know if rob's planning to update the 172 airfile? in fsx it still flies straight and level pretty much on the numbers, but it falls backwards on its tail when i try to stall or spin it :-(

Guest wyoming

The SIAI 260 is the best ever.

You could also try the Long Island Classics Christen Eagle.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.