Sign in to follow this  
ThomseN_inc

bank velocity vs. bank acceleration? Please explain!

Hello,

I am fiddling around with autopilot settings and came across these two:

max_bank_acceleration

max_bank_velocity

Can someone please explain the difference between those?

Actually i am trying to reduce the way the TBM's AP banks. I have a feeling it is too violent so i'd like to reduce the rollrate and the reaction time the AP needs after a new HDG is dialed in.

Right now the AP immediately starts to roll the plane when the HDG knob is manipulated and it feels a bit too fast.

Is there a way to set it to a little softer motion?

Best regards,

Tom

Edited by ThomseN_inc
Typo

Intel i9-13900K | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Master | RTX4090 | 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-6000 | Be quiet! Pure Loop 2 FX AiO | Win 11

Acceleration is the intensity of ehich it can go from stationary to moving. Velocity i would assume is the rate or speed at which it turns.  Thats just roughly going over those terms. 

Just as Armchair pointed out above, the acceleration is probably what you're willing to fine tune because it may well respond for the abruptness in the roll rate as the AP tries to capture it's desired bearing / path / heading / LOC ...

The speed component can OFC also have influence on the "feel" of how fast the aircraft is banking, already at a constant roll rate, after the initial acceleration, so you could further fine tune through that variable as well.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

16 minutes ago, Armchair Pilot said:

Acceleration is the intensity of ehich it can go from stationary to moving. Velocity i would assume is the rate or speed at which it turns.  Thats just roughly going over those terms. 

So acceleration is basically the time it takes to reach bank velocity? 

Intel i9-13900K | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Master | RTX4090 | 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-6000 | Be quiet! Pure Loop 2 FX AiO | Win 11

2 minutes ago, jcomm said:

Just as Armchair pointed out above, the acceleration is probably what you're willing to fine tune because it may well respond for the abruptness in the roll rate as the AP tries to capture it's desired bearing / path / heading / LOC ...

The speed component can OFC also have influence on the "feel" of how fast the aircraft is banking, already at a constant roll rate, after the initial acceleration, so you could further fine tune through that variable as well.

Ok thanks alot! I'll give them a try tonight.

Best

Keep in mind bank acceleration in the autopilot settings works both ways. It not only sets the rapidity of the initial bank but it ALSO sets how quickly the bank stops. It works in concert with max bank velocity in a critical way. The balance is to not set acceleration too high but also not set bank velocity too high either. The best way is to set acceleration so it is smooth but doesn't lead to an over-run in desired roll. It should gently, but not ponderously, get to the desired heading just as the wings are level.

Edited by robert young

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

5 minutes ago, robert young said:

Keep in mind bank acceleration in the autopilot settings works both ways. It not only sets the rapidity of the initial bank but it ALSO sets how quickly the bank stops. It works in concert with max bank velocity in a critical way. The balance is to not set acceleration too high but also not set bank velocity too high either. The best way is to set acceleration so it is smooth but doesn't lead to an over-run in desired roll. It should gently, but not ponderously, get to the desired heading just as the wings are level.

Yeah i was expecting that. Is there a good rule of thumb to start with?

I think this is pretty much trial and error isn't it?

2 hours ago, ThomseN_inc said:

Hello,

I am fiddling around with autopilot settings and came across these two:

max_bank_acceleration

max_bank_velocity

Can someone please explain the difference between those?

Actually i am trying to reduce the way the TBM's AP banks. I have a feeling it is too violent so i'd like to reduce the rollrate and the reaction time the AP needs after a new HDG is dialed in.

Right now the AP immediately starts to roll the plane when the HDG knob is manipulated and it feels a bit too fast.

Is there a way to set it to a little softer motion?

Best regards,

Tom

Bank_Velocity is the speed by which your bank account is being cleared out by addons.

Bank_Acceleration is a measure of the increase of your obsession with flightsims over time.

Thought everyone knew this...  sheesh

• Like 8

8 minutes ago, VFXSimmer said:

Bank_Velocity is the speed by which your bank account is being cleared out by addons.

Bank_Acceleration is a measure of the increase of your obsession with flightsims over time.

Thought everyone knew this...  sheesh

This was very helpful! Thanks!

max_bank_acceleration: The maximum angular bank acceleration, in degrees per second squared, that the autopilot will command left or right.

max_bank_velocity: The maximum angular bank velocity, in degrees per second, which the autopilot will command left or right.

• Upvote 1

Bai Jian

On 10/19/2020 at 11:05 AM, robert young said:

@robert young's excellent explanation reminds me of questions asked 50 years ago about why it took the Apollo spacecraft two and a half days to reach the Moon when, even back then, we had rocket technology to accelerate a much faster propulsion. The answer is that, before you reach the Moon, you have to slow down and stop. 

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.