Sign in to follow this  
Gary1124

Anyone Else Waiting For FS 2020 To Mature?

For GA pilots, this new version is amazing. If you fly VFR, this version is like a 4K HDR monitor to a 4x3 VGA 1024x768 monitor (Prepar3d 4.5).

I’m a real world pilot, so for me, MSFS 2020 is as close I could ever get to simulating that experience. VFR flights are as close to reality as you can make them.

I get that for the folks who fly airliners and are more into the systems aspects, the new version isn’t what they get in P3D. So I think we’ll have this dichotomy where those of us who fly VFR and IFR in GA aircraft will find the new version more attractive while the airliner fans will probably find it lacking.

For me, P3D probably comes off my machine. FSX came off 7 years ago.

• Like 9

32 minutes ago, AmeliaCat said:

What matures first ? The game or the gamers? huh ? gotcha... 😜

That's "simmer" to you sir....😄

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, wthomas33065 said:

That's "simmer" to you sir....😄

Sims 4 actually has an airline career mod, you get to be a flight attendant 😄

maxresdefault.jpg

• Like 2

Yea, its deffo on the back burner for me. So far I've only played it useing the Xbox game pass which i have now cancelled, so at the end of the month i will lose access to it. Until the bugs are fixed, and there's alot higher quality 3rd party aircraft i wont be back, which im guessing might be about 12months.   

To all those simmers who fly the GA stuff, and are waiting (for whatever) to have a go at FS2020, you are missing out on something very special!

As a private pilot who flies almost weekly, the accuracy of the scenery in this sim is spectacular for both enjoyment and training purposes. I can back this up by saying that the sim precisely matches the real world ForeFlight app read outs when running simultaneously on my iPad. Integrating ForeFlight with the sim is incredible for both IFR and VFR flights!

• Like 5

Lawrence “Laurie” Doering

Latest video at The Flight Level F-18 Hornet | Supersonic Medical Transport | Dubai to Abu Dhabi | First Mission in DCS World | 4K

19 minutes ago, Doering said:

the accuracy of the scenery in this sim is spectacular for both enjoyment and training purposes.

Doering,

I have to say I love this sim, but I only fly in OZ and the accuracy is far from reality.  I have tried (as everyone has) to find three houses I lived in in Queensland and they do not exist.  YBBN has gate 80 (international - close to the threshold RW01) at the opposite end of the airport and MSFS has it at the opposite end - close to the threshold of RW19 where the GA parking is normally located. FS2004 FSX P3D and XPlane all have Gate 80 near RW01. Having said that, YBBN is the airport I am most familiar with due to use with the other sims.  YBCS contains many generic buildings and so does YBTL. I am hoping to still be alive when they do a world update for Australia and hopefully that will improve the accuracy.

Small price to pay considering what we have had in the past as default.  For now and for me, scenery is very very pretty but not accurate where I am flying.

Regards

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

Waiting for the LOD and lightning fix as well as the Airbus A320 AP fix before bothering with it. Was using it nightly before it went to hell in a handbasket with patch #2 and subsequent "patches". And no i will not install any community based mods on the sim till the baseline is stable. Don't want to do the "move this file out of that folder and whatnot whenever there is an update. At least not for now. Do i have a backup sim installed ? no but oh well.

Will i come back to fs2020? Certainly.. but not till those aspects are fixed however long it takes. Considering there's nothing (apart from the A320nx) in terms of advanced airliners available anyway i figure im not missing much.

• Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 5900X / Asus Strix B550 F Gaming Wifi / Powercolor AMD 6800XT Red Devil / 32GB Gskill Trident Neo DDR4 3600 / 2x ADATA XPG 8200pro NVME / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / EVGA Supernova 750 GT PSU / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance /

Asus VG34VQL3A / Schiit Bifrost DAC+ Schiit Asgard AMP /  Sennheiser HD 558 / Thrustmaster T.16000M + TFRP Rudders

20 minutes ago, himmelhorse said:

Doering,

I have to say I love this sim, but I only fly in OZ and the accuracy is far from reality.  I have tried (as everyone has) to find three houses I lived in in Queensland and they do not exist.  YBBN has gate 80 (international - close to the threshold RW01) at the opposite end of the airport and MSFS has it at the opposite end - close to the threshold of RW19 where the GA parking is normally located. FS2004 FSX P3D and XPlane all have Gate 80 near RW01. Having said that, YBBN is the airport I am most familiar with due to use with the other sims.  YBCS contains many generic buildings and so does YBTL. I am hoping to still be alive when they do a world update for Australia and hopefully that will improve the accuracy.

Small price to pay considering what we have had in the past as default.  For now and for me, scenery is very very pretty but not accurate where I am flying.

Regards

Tony

Two current generic issues stand out to me, firstly the Aussie bush is typically not very tall so you need to wind tree height down in the game manually or using an addon and secondly most of the Bing mapping was done towards the end of the last 10 year drought so everything looks brown and dead.

In terms of accurate buildings in specific cities, Australia has limited 3D map coverage in Bing. Basically we have:

Canberra
Darwin
Gold Coast
Hobart
Newcastle
Wollongong

That is it, nothing in 3D in Queensland aside from parts of the Gold Coast. Which is better than WA, SA and Victoria which have no 3D mapping at all. Everything non-3D is autogen.

On the plus side there is some good freeware for Australia coming out including Kalgoorlie and a free Sydney environs.

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick

Glenn,

I have YPKG and it is absolutely great, although I have no idea how accurate it is as I have not been through there since the 1990s.  I know nothing about a freeware Yssy environs though. Can you give me a link or some further info ie who is releasing etc. Also somebody (hammerhead) released freeware for Melbourne which was great but reduced my FPS from 60 to sub 20s.It was a fairly major step up from Asobo though. 

Great news otherwise

Thanks

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

9 hours ago, neil0311 said:

For GA pilots, this new version is amazing. If you fly VFR, this version is like a 4K HDR monitor to a 4x3 VGA 1024x768 monitor (Prepar3d 4.5).

I’m a real world pilot, so for me, MSFS 2020 is as close I could ever get to simulating that experience. VFR flights are as close to reality as you can make them.

I get that for the folks who fly airliners and are more into the systems aspects, the new version isn’t what they get in P3D. So I think we’ll have this dichotomy where those of us who fly VFR and IFR in GA aircraft will find the new version more attractive while the airliner fans will probably find it lacking.

For me, P3D probably comes off my machine. FSX came off 7 years ago.

This is something I wanted to post, but expressed much better than I am capable of 😁 

I will be doing a x-country the few days and I am using MSFS to make myself familiar with the trip (300nm)

• Like 3

EASA PPL SEPL ( NQ , EFIS, Variable Pitch, SLPC, Retractable undercarriage)
B23 / PA32R / PA28 / DA40 / C172S 

MSFS | X-Plane 12 |

4 hours ago, himmelhorse said:

Glenn,

I have YPKG and it is absolutely great, although I have no idea how accurate it is as I have not been through there since the 1990s.  I know nothing about a freeware Yssy environs though. Can you give me a link or some further info ie who is releasing etc. Also somebody (hammerhead) released freeware for Melbourne which was great but reduced my FPS from 60 to sub 20s.It was a fairly major step up from Asobo though. 

Great news otherwise

Thanks

Tony

It is not YSSY it is a Sydney Photogrammetry addon.

https://flightsim.to/file/405/sydney-city

It is not perfect, minimal night lights, quite a few melted buildings and blobby trees and the  Anzac bridge is cut in half ... and will totally hammer your fps unless you wind some settings back ...

.. however it IS free and overall looks way more like Sydney than the default scenery.

Z1ceStv2.png?width=1400&auto_optimize=me

0wSVvaQB.png?width=1400&auto_optimize=me

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick

2 hours ago, SAS443 said:

This is something I wanted to post, but expressed much better than I am capable of 😁 

I will be doing a x-country the few days and I am using MSFS to make myself familiar with the trip (300nm)

Perhaps you will find the time for some screenshots of your trip and posting them. That would be nice. 

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

Hi all...   just wanted to add my perspective to this topic....  late to the convo.. been flying to much 🙂

I just checked my flight logs in OnAir and in the last week I have completed 142 flights ranging from less than 50NM to > 3000 NM using Cessna 172 / TBM / Airbus / Mooney /and Cessna Caravan.

Every flight has been done in real weather, using (mostly) default aircraft with default ATC.  I have 6 things in my community folder..  5 airports and the Navigraph data. and Every flight has completed fine with all bonuses for A/C handling and safety.

Apart from one day when all of a sudden every time I clicked the A/P off and I was veering hard to the left or the A/P was disconnected during flight leading to a death spiral or the Airbus veering left on TD..  (which was a fault at my end and nothing to do with Asobo but took me a while to solve)  Every flight has been pretty much fine.

I have three problems that I have Zendesk'd  which are...

1)  Garmin sometimes locks the speed and alt ribbons until the next waypoint  (happens a lot less if refresh rate on Glass set to high)

2)  ATC is a bit wonky with heights compared to flight plan on occaisions  (and totally ignores your setting to a different alt in flight planner)

3)  a number of airports missing approaches etc  (Solved mostly by adding Navigraph, although even then I have found one missing which has been reported to navigraph)

I understand peoples frustration when things don't work as planned, but as a "flight simulator"  then for a product 10 weeks old, I find it outstanding.  

An issue which appears to me is that many people are wanting an "aircraft" simulator with so called "study" level aircraft, which this isn't yet and isn't part of the remit to deliver as base functionality..  but as a "flight" simulator, for me, it's pretty solid...   yes there are things that need to mature and be improved on, but I'm happy to wait for those as the base is now pretty solid...

In addition, I thik it is obvious that the number of serious complaints about the sim have seen a massive reduction both on here and in the official forums in the last week since the last patch.

I am getting real weather matching what I see outside my window when I fly in that area...   I have had one thunderstorm, which matched my locality  (although I do appreciate that this needs adjustment for clear skies thunderstorms in other world areas),  I get to fly and have accurate and stable flights from start to destination whether on GPS, A/P or hand flown..  (porpoising not an issue since i learnt how to fly the planes I am using) and having a wonderful time.  Had one really bouncy flight in the TBM but 60knot crosswinds will do that to you.. probably shouldn't have been flying anyway.

Yes we need some maturing, but again.,  10 weeks in..  am happy to  continue flying in this sim whilst those things are "matured" by Asobo..  but I really think there is a major discrepancy between a "flight" sim and an "aircraft" sim and knowing how long it took for an "aircraft" sim to be bolted onto any of the other "flight" sims, then that is currently not surprising.

I am also completely blown away by how smooth this sim is on my (rather old) machine and what the framerates are as delivered compared to all the fighting and tweaking I had to do in other sims before it was even slightly reasonable 🙂

I have to think it comes down to expectations.

For an "aircraft" sim or a "garmin" sim, I fully understand people using XPlane or whatever, but I honestly think that to expect that now in MSFS2020 is somewhat unrealistic as yet based on how long it took for those to appear in the other sims (if they ever did).

Just my perspective.. of course your mileage may well vary 🙂

Graham

Edited by Moria15
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 2

System specs...   CPU AMD5950,  GPU AMD6900XT,  ROG crosshair VIII Hero motherboard, Corsair 64 gig LPX 3600 mem, Air cooling on GPU,   Kraken x pump cooling on CPU.  Samsung G7 curved 27" monitor at 2k resolution ULTRA default settings.

1 hour ago, Moria15 said:

In addition, I thik it is obvious that the number of serious complaints about the sim have seen a massive reduction both on here and in the official forums in the last week since the last patch.

One way of looking at it is that the patch has made MSFS vastly more usable.

Another way of looking at it is the patch didn't go far enough and people have lost interest.

An alternative viewpoint (and, IMO, a more realistic scenario) is that Asobo detailing what will come in the next full update has calmed the levels of criticism for now.

Edited by F737NG

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter