Sign in to follow this  
Gary1124

Anyone Else Waiting For FS 2020 To Mature?

I have decided to wait until the most complained of bugs are worked out, the full SDK is released, and a decent array of commercial and freeware addon content is created before I pull the trigger for MSFS 2020. I am currently on FSX-SE after a 15 year hiatus because it was the quickest and most convenient way to return to flight simming and a I already have a large array of addons. Otherwise X-Plane 11 or likely Prepar3d if I get bored as much of my investment works in Prepar3d. Anyone else doing wait and see with 2020?

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

I am sticking with P3Dv4.5HF2 for now. I can enjoy flying complex airliners (currently the PMDG 777-200LR) around a highly detailed rendition of the UK and Netherlands (ORBx TrueEarth GB and Netherlands; ORBx UK airfields; UK2000 airports and VFR Airfields packages; SimWings London Heathrow Professional; FlyTampa Amsterdam Schiphol; REX4 Texture Direct with Soft Clouds Enhanced Edition; custom AI database with detailed plane models/textures/flightplans; AI Lights Reborn Professional Edition) at an (arguably) similar level of detail to the new Microsoft Flight Simulator without spending another penny.

I am prepar3d to sit back and see what happens over the coming year.

Edited by Christopher Low
  • Like 4

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

No, even in its current form, MSFS had a lot to offer.  I’m probably spending about 75% of my time in MSFS (mostly GA VFR flying with a bit of long distance IFR) and 25% in P3Dv5 (airline flying).

Getting into, and enjoying, MSFS takes really no effort other than buying it. It’s a sim I know I can fire up and enjoy without having to fiddle with anything.

• Like 15
  • Upvote 1

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

Tried it. Uninstalled it. Probably won't go back.

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

I'm seeing the "potential" and learning about inner workings, for example, how to do repaints. That said, it is woefully incomplete. Even for me, a mostly GA flyer. Not sure when it might replace my well-oiled and smoothly working "hard core" sim in P3Dv4.5.

Probably worth the investment to have it as a 2nd sim with some of the community mods like Robert Young's Turbo Bonanza.

Edited by yurei
  • Like 2

Its already matured for me. I had the most stunning approach into Tokyo's Haneda Airport yesterday at night in the A320mod. The best flight i ever had in any sim. The closest I will ever get to a real world flight.

• Like 10

1 minute ago, sanh said:

Its already matured for me. I had the most stunning approach into Tokyo's Haneda Airport yesterday at night in the A320mod. The best flight i ever had in any sim. The closest I will ever get to a real world flight.

LOL you haven't compared fuel usage to the real world aircraft 🙂

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Gary1124 said:

I have decided to wait until the most complained of bugs are worked out, the full SDK is released, and a decent array of commercial and freeware addon content is created before I pull the trigger for MSFS 2020.

I think that’s a really sensible approach and I wish more people did the same: read / watch around and understand what it can and can’t currently do, compare with your needs / expectations and buy / wait accordingly.

Like we should with any longer-term investment.

• Like 9

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

8 hours ago, Gary1124 said:

I have decided to wait until the most complained of bugs are worked out, the full SDK is released, and a decent array of commercial and freeware addon content is created before I pull the trigger for MSFS 2020. I am currently on FSX-SE after a 15 year hiatus because it was the quickest and most convenient way to return to flight simming and a I already have a large array of addons. Otherwise X-Plane 11 or likely Prepar3d if I get bored as much of my investment works in Prepar3d. Anyone else doing wait and see with 2020?

And why just not get into MSFS and make your own opinion ?(if cash isnt a problem of course). If you dont like it for some odd reasons 🙂 you can do just that ---->"wait until the most complained of bugs are worked out, the full SDK is released, and a decent array of commercial and freeware addon content is created"

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, scotchegg said:

I think that’s a really sensible approach and I wish more people did the same: read / watch around and understand what it can and can’t currently do, compare with your needs / expectations and buy / wait accordingly.

Yes, BUT, if you base your opinion on what you read and sense in the forums, chances are, you'r never gonna buy it. I say, Buy it, Try it, and Like it 🙂 

If you dont, quicly get a refund, OR, keep it warm for year (maybe 2) until "maturity".

• Upvote 2

I have tried MSFS and it is sitting on my hard drive, but I fly P3D 4.5 almost all the time. I will certainly switch once high-quality airplanes are available for MSFS, but that requires a full SDK. Until then, I continue to be a happy user of P3D.

Peter

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Wow, don't miss out! I've been with FSX, P3D, XP (from v8), and MSFS is a totally different experience. The Bonanza mod is  a ton of fun, great to fly, and greatly improved by the mod to G1000. I go back to whatever is left of my 1980s IFR skills (GPS, what's that???) and fly around the country in a fast turbo-normalized single that's a stable IFR platform, a pleasure to fly by hand and perfectly capable for cross country on AP.

And the Carenado Mooney is pretty good, too. 

There's lots to fix, but the weather depiction is amazing (maybe a little too amazing with the thunder and lightning, but that will get fixed). The ATC stinks, but if you want good ATC fly on VATSIM (or PilotEdge or IVAO). I was controlling on VATSIM this morning and a stream of VFR pilots was flying through the Skyline Route up the Hudson River in NYC. It was amazing--that's as much VFR traffic than I sometimes see in six months on that route.

But the important thing is to have fun. 

• Like 3

John Wiesenfeld KPBI | FAA PPL/SEL/IFR in a galaxy long ago and far away | VATSIM PILOT P2

i7-11700K, 32 GB DDR4 3.6 GHz, MSI RTX 3070ti, Dell 4K monitor

Yep, I'm waiting for it to mature by flying as much as I can in it!  Hehehe...

Seriously though, I hopped back into FSX in August to get myself back into flying shape.  Once I saw what the new version looked like, I found I can't even consider flying in FSX anymore.  There are plenty of issues but as I fly GA only right now, I can manage.  I would like to eventually see some of the planes I had in FSX come to MSFS and over time I'm sure they will.  It's only been a few short weeks.  FSX took a long time to get into working shape with 3rd party developers providing content.  

• Like 3

It does NOT do study level "pretend I am an airline pilot in a virtual airline" stuff well BUT I find flying at FL300 on autopilot stifling boring personally anyway so I am loving it and having a great time.

It Is fantastic for VFR and bush bashing.

But I concede if your into the airline side of things it is no where near there yet. may never be, that will depend a lot on the SDK and how well the aftermarket mod community work with it.

Also the FMs are not there yet for early flight training HOWEVER you really should not be spending hundreds of hours unsupervised as a raw untrained pilot anyway.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, scotchegg said:

...a $60 investment?

• Like 5