Sign in to follow this  
ThomseN_inc

TBM not using any beacons?

Hello,

So maybe there is a real world TBM operator here who can enlighten me.

I am working at the airport and i just observed a TBM9 taxiing across my ramp without any beacon or strobe active. I am asking this because this is something i see quite regularly on TBMs.

I can remember the Ground controller not giving taxi clearance to a C172 because they had their beacon inoperative (which is correct) some time ago but i wonder why this doesn't apply to TBMs.

I don't understand the exterior lighting system of the TBM still...

Thanks in advance!

Tom

Intel i9-13900K | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Master | RTX4090 | 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-6000 | Be quiet! Pure Loop 2 FX AiO | Win 11

You should have a look at this YouTube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/user/steveo1kinevo

In one of the videos, Steve explains the TBM has no beacon and it uses the PULSE instead. I find it very disturbing at night but that's the way it works, it flashes alternatively on the left and right wing and replaces the beacon.

Anyway this is a very good channel with plenty of good videos, with great comments and explanations.

Edited by Rocky

24 minutes ago, Rocky said:

You should have a look at this YouTube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/user/steveo1kinevo

In one of the videos, Steve explains the TBM has no beacon and it uses the PULSE instead. I find it very disturbing at night but that's the way it works, it flashes alternatively on the left and right wing and replaces the beacon.

Anyway this is a very good channel with plenty of good videos, with great comments and explanations.

Yeah i know his channel. Like it too!

As far as i (thought to) know the pulse lights are flashing landing lights so i can't see how they replace  a beacon in its function.

I also don't understand what the benefit in not having a beacon is as it has a warning function for other people/vehicles around.

Intel i9-13900K | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Master | RTX4090 | 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-6000 | Be quiet! Pure Loop 2 FX AiO | Win 11

3 hours ago, ThomseN_inc said:

I can remember the Ground controller not giving taxi clearance to a C172 because they had their beacon inoperative (which is correct) some time ago but i wonder why this doesn't apply to TBMs.

Never once in my entire career as an air traffic controller did I ever check out an aircraft to see if they had proper equipment.  It was not my responsibility, and, I probably would have been called on the carpet if I did what you said happened.  But not only that, since the ground controller actually controls everything on the ground, it would not even be a safety hazard as he is the one that ensures safety.

I was there to keep moving aircraft safe.  We're not the equipment police.  That belongs to another branch of the FAA.

• Upvote 1

Just now, LarryD said:

Never once in my entire career as an air traffic controller did I ever check out an aircraft to see if they had proper equipment.  It was not my responsibility, and, I probably would have been called on the carpet if I did what you said happened.  But not only that, since the ground controller actually controls everything on the ground, it would not even be a safety hazard as he is the one that ensures safety.

I was there to keep moving aircraft safe.  We're not the equipment police.  That belongs to another branch of the FAA.

Germany is a different place i guess. But joke aside that controller was known to be "that guy" back in the days. 😉

1 minute ago, ThomseN_inc said:

Germany is a different place i guess. But joke aside that controller was known to be "that guy" back in the days. 😉

Never even occurred to me that it could be a different country as far as the situation.  So sorry about that.  Now, as far as "that guy", I am sure that is universal.

1 minute ago, LarryD said:

Never even occurred to me that it could be a different country as far as the situation.  So sorry about that.  Now, as far as "that guy", I am sure that is universal.

Never mind! He lost his license some time ago for numerous reasons. But i guess as you say, there's one of those guys on every airport. :D

Interesting.  Does a DA62 even have a beacon?

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

52 minutes ago, fppilot said:

Interesting.  Does a DA62 even have a beacon?

Now you mention it...i think it has a quite similar setup to the TBM.

On 10/19/2020 at 9:18 PM, ThomseN_inc said:

Yeah i know his channel. Like it too!

As far as i (thought to) know the pulse lights are flashing landing lights so i can't see how they replace  a beacon in its function.

I also don't understand what the benefit in not having a beacon is as it has a warning function for other people/vehicles around.

I fully agree with you and also don't understand why the TBM does not have a beacon, it is convenient and I thought it was mandatory according to the regulations. 

I think Steve explains this in one of his videos but I'm not sure, anyway I remember I heard that the pulse is supposed to replace the beacon. 

The regulations may have evolved to authorize this?

1 hour ago, Rocky said:

The regulations may have evolved to authorize this?

Here's the European regulation regarding aircraft lighting. Sometimes a flightsim is more relaxing than being a pilot irl 🙂. However: The strobe lights meet the requirements for both:  indication for running engine on the ground and anti collision light in flight.

SERA.3215 Lights to be displayed by aircraftRegulation (EU) 2016/1185

(a)Except as provided by (e), at night all aircraft in flight shall display:

(1)anti-collision lights intended to attract attention to the aircraft; and

(2)except for balloons, navigation lights intended to indicate the relative path of the aircraft to an observer. Other lights shall not be displayed if they are likely to be mistaken for these lights.

(b)Except as provided by (e), at night:

(1)all aircraft moving on the movement area of an aerodrome shall display navigation lights intended to indicate the relative path of the aircraft to an observer and other lights shall not be displayed if they are likely to be mistaken for these lights;

(2)unless stationary and otherwise adequately illuminated, all aircraft on the movement area of an aerodrome shall display lights intended to indicate the extremities of their structure, as far as practicable;

(3)all aircraft taxiing or being towed on the movement area of an aerodrome shall display lights intended to attract attention to the aircraft; and

(4)all aircraft on the movement area of an aerodrome whose engines are running shall display lights which indicate that fact.

(c)Except as provided by (e), all aircraft in flight and fitted with anti-collision lights to meet the requirement of (a) (1) shall display such lights also during day.

(d)Except as provided by (e), all aircraft:

(1)taxiing or being towed on the movement area of an aerodrome and fitted with anti-collision lights, to meet the requirement of (b)(3); or

(2)on the movement area of an aerodrome and fitted with lights to meet the requirement of (b)(4);shall display such lights also during day.

(e)A pilot shall be permitted to switch off or reduce the intensity of any flashing lights fitted to meet the requirements of (a), (b), (c) and (d) if they do or are likely to:

(1)adversely affect the satisfactory performance of duties; or(2)subject an outside observer to harmful dazzle

• Like 1

Gigabyte Aorus Z390Master, i9-9900k @ 5.1 Ghz all cores, RTX 2080, 32 GB RAM