Sign in to follow this  
captain420

Anyone use TrackIR on a a 50 inch and up screen here?

I'm curious to how well it works in MSFS. Would like to hear from others who are using this setup with 4k big screen displays and how well it works. I have mine laying around but never got around to using it.

I'm especially curious about how smooth it works with framerates under 30fps... 

Edited by captain420

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

1 minute ago, captain420 said:

I'm curious to how well it works in MSFS. Would like to hear from others who are using this setup with 4k big screen displays and how well it works. I have mine laying around but never got around to using it.

I'm especially curious about how smooth it works with framerates under 30fps... 

I only have a 32" screen but it sits pretty high.

I use the old school track clip and instead of messing about with a cap attached it to the top of my headset. Seems to work OK. 

It does however get a bit flaky when you are too far away from the screen which may be an issue with big screens you possibly need to be in a very dark room if you are too far away.

The other issue was trackir with a FFB stick and Saitek panels and a wireless headset seemed to be pushing the friendship in terms of USB power , I ended up buying a powered hub with its own adapter.

I could never get it to work to be honest. I have a 55” OLED that I use for simming and looking up or looking down could never get it quite right. Would always lose one of the other.

In the end I went with head track on the iPhone and open track on the PC. That works better than TrackIR ever did for me. 

Some people mount the trackir on the side of the screen.

TBH if you have  a simpit or some other thing that allows you to mount the trackir closer that would work better. logically you could even mount it beside you pointing at the side of your head i assume.

I use TrackIR with my 135" projector screen. Yes, it works well at such large screen with FSX, P3D, XP, and MSFS. With MSFS the scenery is so real that I found I had to increase the deadzone to make image more stable when I'm just looking forward, otherwise I get a bit dizzy. 

7950X3D / 32GB / RTX4090 / HP Reverb G2 / Win11

Will TrackIR work okay with frame rates under 30fps though?

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

1 hour ago, captain420 said:

I have less than that pretty often in big city areas with PG.  And mine works fine...I don't seem to get any motion sickness (like I did in DCS VR lol).  But I am using a small monitor...23 "

Edited by ryanbatcund
  • Like 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

1 hour ago, captain420 said:

The frame rates are not going to directly effect the trackir as it has its own IR source and camera and does not use the screen at all BUT if your CPU is getting hammered that might have an effect.

To be safe I have set my trackir process to real time priority in process lasso . That way it should still get CPU time even if the CPU is being hammered by FS2020 .

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick

65” 4K for primary visuals... TrackIR is ok... in a Spitfire or XCub... but for longer/complex airliner flights I disable and use EZDOK or now the mapped Custom Camera Views... 

Obviously that isn’t a problem in MSFS... yet.

Ive had a couple of different TrackIRs over the years... never quite loved them. I use it about 5% of the time TBH.

C

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

I have dual projectors on a 150" curved screen. I have no issues with track ir

It is flawless. I raised the deadzone and have speed set at .2  i have had fps issues where it dropped to 15-20 fps and stuttering. Trackir still worked fine at that low fps. I since have the fps resolved.

I have the ir transmitter about 3 feet from my head mounted on a small instrument panel i built. I am very happy with it.

Stampee

Edited by stampee
Typos
  • Like 1

I have a 55inch 4K TCL screen that I have been using with TrackIR for many years and the combination works very well for me. I also have a HP Reverb VR headset, but I prefer the clarity/higher resolution and fps of the 4K screen along with the much easier ability to manipulate the cockpit controls while using TrackIR.

On 10/19/2020 at 10:39 PM, Waldo Pepper said:

48" LG CX Oled here.   It's awesome,  wouldn't fly without it.

Can you please tell me what settings you use? I have that same display and have all but given up on track IR with it 

On 10/20/2020 at 5:59 AM, cavaricooper said:

complex airliner flights I disable

What I've found works well in the many-buttons cockpits is to map the auto-zoom command to a throttle hat button on my HOTAS, and map the "pause tracking" command in the tracking software to the same button.  Then when I have to punch buttons on an FMS or something, I look at it and hit the button, and it zooms in and then freezes the head motion while I click buttons. Then I release and everything goes back to normal so I can look around. 

I mapped the opposite-direction hat button to both center the view in MSFS and center the head tracker in the tracking software, so that if there's drift or I shift position a little bit I can reset the view easily.