Sign in to follow this  
iFlySimX

Overclocking My 1080TI for MFS 2020

Hello! Do you guys think it is worth to OC your GPU? Would I get any performance increase? I would love to get your thoughts.

Would I need to OC the GPU Clock or GPU Memory? And what about the power? It can go up to 120%. 

Thanks!

sasas.png

Edited by Clem116

Discord | YouTube | Facebook

34" Odyssey OLED G8 175Hz | 3440X1440 | AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D | PNY VERTO OC GeForce RTX 4070 Ti SUPER 16 GB | G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 | Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F GAMING WIFI ATX AM5 | Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 | ARCTIC Liquid Freezer III 56.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler | Fractal Design North XL ATX Full Tower Case

I jad a 10 % fps gain after overclocking my poor 1060 by 10 % (core and memory). But though other programs worked fine, msfs stressed the card out and kept crashing to desktop. 5 % worked fine.

I also have a 1080TI and to be honest leave it stock for MSFS 2020 & X-Plane 11.

I recently did the "Noctua Mod" and got rid of the crappy stock fans and replaced them with 2 Noctua NF12's which are awesome, very quiet and get average temps of around 56 degrees so maybe I will try an O/C

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

14 minutes ago, crimplene said:

I jad a 10 % fps gain after overclocking my poor 1060 by 10 % (core and memory). But though other programs worked fine, msfs stressed the card out and kept crashing to desktop. 5 % worked fine.

1060 also and X1 OC settings had been using for FSX crashed this CTD's every time. Interesting you were able to get 5%! Can you share a screenshot of your X1 screen? Really curious to see if can replicate it...

SAR Pilot. Flight Sim'ing since the beginning.

1 minute ago, Bert Pieke said:

Why bother?  Leave it at clock speeds! 🙂

Why not? If I can get a little extra boost in performance in not overwork the card. 

Discord | YouTube | Facebook

34" Odyssey OLED G8 175Hz | 3440X1440 | AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D | PNY VERTO OC GeForce RTX 4070 Ti SUPER 16 GB | G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 | Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F GAMING WIFI ATX AM5 | Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 | ARCTIC Liquid Freezer III 56.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler | Fractal Design North XL ATX Full Tower Case

34 minutes ago, Richdem said:

I also have a 1080TI and to be honest leave it stock for MSFS 2020 & X-Plane 11.

I recently did the "Noctua Mod" and got rid of the crappy stock fans and replaced them with 2 Noctua NF12's which are awesome, very quiet and get average temps of around 56 degrees so maybe I will try an O/C

Do you a link to or some further information on this mod? Sounds like a good thing.

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

15 minutes ago, RichieFly said:

Do you a link to or some further information on this mod? Sounds like a good thing.

Just replace the stock fans with Noctua NF12's what you gain is better cooling and quieter fans, take the opportunity to replace the fans in the chassis with Nocuta's equivalent at the same time.

Edited by Ixoye

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

16 minutes ago, Clem116 said:

Why not? If I can get a little extra boost in performance in not overwork the card. 

I am sure you see the contradiction..  If you like to run things on the ragged edge, go for it.

My prediction is that you will see no difference in MSFS, except for possible instability..

Bert

4 minutes ago, RichieFly said:

Here you go,

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/926301-2-noctua-fans-on-a-gtx-1080ti-results-updated/

It's really very easy, basically remove the existing fan housing, zip tie the two NF 12's together and lay them on the heatsink and then zip tie each corner to the card, I used the small zip ties(I have checked multiple times and the fans have not budged at all). I then used the "Y" connector that came with the fans to connect to a fan header on my motherboard for full PWM control. I set mine to run around 1,100 rpm unless temps hit 80 which they never do. You can not hear those fans.

If you have a glass case and love to see lots of LED's this may not be for you. My PC is built just for my Flightsim hobby and sits under the desk. I already have a Noctua Nh-D15 CPU cooler which is a beast and several other Noctua case fans. They really do make the best fans. The funny thing is the two NF12's are actually the perfect size for my 1080TI, It is like they were made for it lol

If only Noctua made an official GPU cooler. I will never put another water cooled system in my PC and will do this mod to any future card. It does not invalidate the warranty as you re only removing the fan housing complete and the Noctua fans provide way better cooling for the GPU.

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

Thanks for this. I might give it a go while waiting on some 3000's to become available.

Noise is a problem with the stock fans for sure.

• Like 1

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

MSFS is a very demanding application.  Personally I would not recommend overclocking while using it, you may cause stability issues.  Maybe adjust your render scale setting to 80% or so instead.

AMD 3950X | 64GB RAM | AMD 5700XT | CH Fighterstick / Pro Throttle / Pro Pedals

10% incerase by OC with Afterburner on 1070Ti, which equals ca. 3 FPS on my triple display setup. I like it. The card is protected against overhearing, it will reduce it's boost frequency. Make sure you don't OC to much, as then the card boost frequency will start fluctuating. 

1 hour ago, Flyfaster_MTN002 said:

1060 also and X1 OC settings had been using for FSX crashed this CTD's every time. Interesting you were able to get 5%! Can you share a screenshot of your X1 screen? Really curious to see if can replicate it...

I use MSI Afterburner. And actually it's more like 3 % not 5 % as I see right now. 🙂 No screenshot, but I set Core +60 MHz and Memory +120 MHz. Anything higher produces a CTD. I think that depends very much on the individual card, cooling etc.

My new PC with a 2080 super will arrive in a few days, so I will finally be able to play with a 4K resolution. Couldn't wait for the 3080 to be available.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bert Pieke said:

I am sure you see the contradiction..  If you like to run things on the ragged edge, go for it.

My prediction is that you will see no difference in MSFS, except for possible instability..

Have you every OC'd a graphics card before? I overclocked mine and see 3 to 5 FPS benefit and it is stable. The newer cards really can't be hurt OCing either, as they just throttle back performance if they reach a certain temp. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro