Sign in to follow this  
psolk

Is Zoom in P3D the equivalent of FOV?

So as the question indicates, in sim racing when calculating the correct FOV for monitors there is an actual equation around Monitor size, distance from vision etc etc.  I was wondering if the zoom in P3D works the same way?  For example, I am moving from a 32 inch monitor at 4096x2160 to a 49 inch ultrawide at 5140x1440.  Would the Zoom or FOV in P3D need to be adjusted and if so does it get calculated in the same manner as FOV or am I completing mixing concepts right now?  In Flightsim I have always gone off  of more what "feels and looks right" so wondering if there is an actual equation to get it right like in sim racing.

TY in advance!!

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

I recall from a series of Youtube video clips,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjbCFNSofpk

that setting Zoom to 1.0 will always work, if you have Wideview ticked. However, if it's unitcked you have to change the Zoom setting. The videos give formulas for calculating the most natural view.

I have Wideview on an find Zoom 1.0 quite good (actually a bit lower, as a refined formula in the 3rd video states.)

Kind regards, Michael 

• Like 1

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Thank you Michael I will take a look!  Greatly appreciated.  

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

@pmb thank you again.  Watched the video and a bit confusing I applied it to my current 32 inch monitor before the 49 arrives tomorrow.  I also found this thread here at Avsim that was tremendously helpful.  This morning I went in, activated wideview aspect in P3D and zoomed in as close to 1.0 as possible.  Wow, what a difference!  The outside world "seems" far more realistic and to scale.  The only thing I am struggling with is within EZCA actually knowing what my zoom level really is LOL...  I may need to enable the native P3D on screen messages to see it again unless I am missing something.  I use the EZCA camera positioning tool but when I zoom with the tool it doesn't give me an actual value...   Thank you again though, this was tremendously helpful.  

• Like 1

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

I didn't remenber the convent factor, but with my setup, I need 26degree of vFOV, that's what I use on most racing sim, and for P3Dv4 I should use 1.34x zoom in VC...

Yes, 1.34x would give me a very close feeling of whan I see in real cockpit, However it's not practical, even when I have a small 7" monitor under my main one for dashpanel... I normally use 1.0 to give me more peripheral version.

I remenber the first time I went into a jet cockpit, it was a 767 setting on a sunny apron, when I set on the seat, my eyes were overwhelmed by the window, the dark cockpit gives me almost no clue it's there, just like part of my eyelids...

From that time on, I start to use 0.9 or 1.0 zoom in FS's VC, that's just the view: window only, I'll need to move my head to get a view on gaugues, luckly I've already had FreeTrack that time (now upgraded to TrackIR5). Bfore that, I was more like to use like 0.75 or even 0.6 of zoom in VC.

• Like 2

https://photos.app.goo.gl/jXyyfnmVs5NH6s9t7

OK, to close the loop I got the 49' 5120x1440 @ 144hz ultrawide yesterday.  Initial impressions in P3D were horrible.  Everything looked stretched.  Then I disabled the WideScreen aspect ratio and it was like my moment of enlightenment...  All of a sudden the distortion was gone and the fidelity was incredible.   I need to play around with the zoom levels more today, still not sure why the widescreen aspect ratio doesn't work but think .9 or 1.0 with the right seat position is completely doable with this setup while still being able to see the full MCP and cockpit windscreens on a single monitor...  

Edited by psolk

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

2 hours ago, psolk said:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/jXyyfnmVs5NH6s9t7

OK, to close the loop I got the 49' 5120x1440 @ 144hz ultrawide yesterday.  Initial impressions in P3D were horrible.  Everything looked stretched.  Then I disabled the WideScreen aspect ratio and it was like my moment of enlightenment...  All of a sudden the distortion was gone and the fidelity was incredible. <snip>

I like your setup!! Some impressive kit for your 'pit.

Could you let me know what the model number is for you monitor, please?
I'm starting to look at possible ultrawide 1440 monitors to replace my outdated setup. Thanks.

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

6 hours ago, F737NG said:

I like your setup!! Some impressive kit for your 'pit.

Could you let me know what the model number is for you monitor, please?
I'm starting to look at possible ultrawide 1440 monitors to replace my outdated setup. Thanks.

Thank you very much, it's conservative compared to the race sim but gets the job done!  Thank you again.  Monitor is the new Viotek:  Hands down best bang for the buck, only sub $1K 5120x1440 device and it's my second now I was so impressed with the first...   I got one for racing and liked it so much I got one for FS as well!

https://viotek.com/viotek-suw49da-49-inch-super-ultrawide-monitor/

IMG_20200919_112042840.jpg?width=762&height=572

Edited by psolk
  • Like 1

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

That looks very good. Great for immersion.

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

6 hours ago, GSalden said:

That looks very good. Great for immersion.

Thanks very much Gerard, it's not a full home cockpit 😉 but for a single monitor the immersion is pretty incredible...

Just for you I grabbed a few screenies...  I have to play with EZCA still obviously but this gives you an idea what you are seeing out of a single screen...

https://photos.app.goo.gl/7KZ6saR4anikyavC7

https://photos.app.goo.gl/MSu3uz1Y25HTh9DH9

Edited by psolk
  • Like 1

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

1 hour ago, psolk said:

Thanks very much Gerard, it's not a full home cockpit 😉 but for a single monitor the immersion is pretty incredible...

Just for you I grabbed a few screenies...  I have to play with EZCA still obviously but this gives you an idea what you are seeing out of a single screen...

https://photos.app.goo.gl/7KZ6saR4anikyavC7

https://photos.app.goo.gl/MSu3uz1Y25HTh9DH9

You will have a lot of good flights with that incredible looking setup 👍

Edited by GSalden
  • Like 1

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

Holy expletive not allowed...  Looks like I had to disable WideView aspect mode, exit P3D, then come back in with the new monitor and re-enable it for it to work properly.  I did have a remnant Display section in my .cfg that may have been part of the issue as well.  Long story short, fixed .cfg, re-enabled wideview aspect, set zoom to 1.0 and result is the most incredible sim experience in terms of what I am seeing that I can ever recall.  The difference from 4096x2160 to 5120x1444 is even larger than I anticipated.  The scale of everything just seems spot on almost like it's the size it would be sitting on the FD... 

Current view...

p89f2d7AU6lcoqhtFxLgsEUmvpQegvA0Hk9TkD_GAtCvGApKFn08P5sHzxXoDN9xklhtfma9SQqsnOR-iKEAYl05_C3Y_Q0ZC9rGab5spAX_2cJi-2UOMCY_ZXUYlVmrtpuHp1zyWEQUyBKtgl4cOYvd39DCyA0qyZRsEIOOPdkK1vhHbdOVkRB8pSIUdc96VaxM2lw3fHMn8xqiXpdTkfcy1sqOxt00j3P37m-7WlXBNiTKt9GyLu7hUdudIE63zs6Y1XCEXQLfmOTiR9DHqDxw4OiWvg5Ic7aE_maOL2lQYtzniUfL0__O9o8v7TUnXEPQEn_ZbLk5E_gK9OCsZwAM5MyVk-NzAqJ39Dx2w5cTKnmZLjKzcbFSmTSkhrup9pP_IbGs_NY-z9ZoiS0gLNX_UpCjKa4m4E3_2NamuQIjgs17pVX3atoN_s4V-JKci7FeECp286USJHmeegdTqAVfbW2ggqcmicJdbvpkc8ubrfPZD-hs0QlSUWCc02btojRrduhyiUuEe58gHBZ1W3LWu5xLbGEDIZFjyYnWvUlfH-qR2wQvuqIu4DF-LiP6LfeKSvSYKAAW8brX2moMKytA0L_bRi_PzPpp_weCifD49qV4aBM-YDVZ_rCdrX9t-bO-9oyzJDt5x4x6YW5LC8qufHqnw6rmeOZ5hfuBwASXZKHYsEm2MTVaM4s0Zi8=w1174-h880-no?authuser=0

Edited by psolk
  • Like 1

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Great, Paul. Usually, there is an entry WideViewAspect=True/False in prepar3d.cfg, I set it via SimStarter.

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 1

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Thanks Michael!  So I have been playing around because I found the fisheye effect a bit off putting as things on the sides of the screen got stretched.  Turns out if you go into View Group Management from the Global "Views" menu that you can define an angle offset of your "side monitors"  I set mine to 13 on on left/right to match the curve value of my monitor, set the ViewGroupShape to "Spherical" and now all the stretching on the sides of the monitor is gone... This is something iRacing and a lot of the race simulators allow, great to see it in P3D as well!

It's simply heavenly with the zoom @ 1.0!!  🙂 

Edited by psolk

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk