Sign in to follow this  
CYXR

OSIRIS-REx lands; collects asteroid sample

Scheduled to return with it`s sample on Sep. 24, 2023; this is a milestone in Space exploration.  

• Like 2

We the human race, has just "high-fived" an asteroid! 🍻🍻:cool:

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

There is great stuff happening out there.

Japan might not have the same level of PR but Hayabusa is already on its way back with its sample.

More remarkable, the mission has been adjusted so that, after dropping off the package in Australia, it is being sent off to venture where no Hayabusa has gone before ...

• Like 3

Amazing. The World is turning to poo in so many ways and here we are sweeping up on an asteroid.

Edited by Ron Attwood
spelling
  • Like 3

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Hasn't it always been the case, Ron? As much as I enjoy watching these space exploration projects, there is always something here on Earth which should be fixed to a greater or lesser degree. 

Mark Robinson

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

47 minutes ago, TuFun said:

Maybe someday that poo will poo poo our existence! 

Le monde a commencé sans l'homme et il s'achèvera sans lui memorably wrote Claude Lévi-Strauss in 1955.  transl. The world began without us and it will end without us.  Larry Niven also wrote that the dinosaurs became extinct because they didn`t have a space program. But I`m with Lévi-StraussDinosaurs had a great space ship; called Earth

Edited by CYXR

6 hours ago, HighBypass said:

Hasn't it always been the case, Ron? As much as I enjoy watching these space exploration projects, there is always something here on Earth which should be fixed to a greater or lesser degree. 

True. Why we shouldn't ignore space exploration. There will always be an excuse not to spend money on such endeavours. We absolutely should for a number of reasons.

One day an asteroid will be heading in our direction intent on wiping out most of the life on the planet. One day a pandemic will arise 10,000 times worse than Covid. One day we may nuke ourselves. One day climate change may knock us back into the stone age. The probability that some time in the future one of the aforementioned will happen is high. 

Before one or more of the above existential threats become a reality it would be rather nice if we had human colonies elsewhere. You know, for little things like ensuring our species survives. 

Then we have the many technological and scientific advances that have come from the space program. 

With US military spending 719 billion on its armed forces, we shouldn't worry too much about 30 billion on space exportation. Especially as a big chunk now is partly funded by private organisations. I mean spending on NASA is a mere $9 per US tax payer. When the big rock heads our way, it will be worth it.

Edited by martin-w
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, CYXR said:

But I`m with Lévi-Strauss

I had a pair of those once. Good jeans :cool:

Mark Robinson

Well guess what? News is that the spacecraft was too greedy and took a mouthful that was too big.

Now the door is jammed open and losing material. 

• Upvote 1