Sign in to follow this  
edvb

ROG X570 Crosshair VIII Dark Hero vs MSI x570 Unify for MSFS

I got my MSI x570 Unify but it came damaged so I returned it.

I see that the new Asus ROG X570 Crosshair VIII Dark Hero will be available the first week of Nov. and wondered if this would be a better way to go. It is about $80.00 more but seems it has everything I would need for my MSFS build. I will only have two 1 Tb M.2 drives (operating system & MSFS 2020) and two SATA (1Tb & 2Tb) for backup and storage. The SATA drives will be updated when needed.

This will be my last rebuild for a long time so trying to get a decent system together. I will get a Asus TUF 3080 20Gb  when available and a AMD 5900X for the CPU.

Both motherboards would be fine but the Asus ROG X570 Crosshair VIII Dark Hero has no chipset fan and 90A VRM stages that would be worth it for me. It also had more USB ports for my SIM hardware but did not know if I would need it?

Any thoughts on this as I am looking  between $300-$400 for a decent motherboard to use for MSFS at 4K only. I have the X470 Strix gaming F now, so never had a MSI motherboard to compare.

I am just trying to get the most reliable solution as this will need to last me for a few years.

Edited by edvb
more info

Asus ROG  Strix x 470-f, Ryzen 2700X,Flare X (4x8)3200 CL14 ,EVGA  GTX 1070 Ti, 970 EVO 500GB  NVMe, 860 EVO 1TB, 860 EVO 2TB,Seasonic TX-850, Hauppauge 1 HVR-1265, LG  27UK650-W 4K Monitor

I use the Meg Unify and find it a good board. Having a chipset fan doesn't bother me at all personally. The Unify has 3 M.2 slots and good VRM - you can check results on Gamers Nexus where they do a review of the MSI Tomahawk. That being said you're probably not going to be overclocking the 5900X much is my guess as lately AMD are delivering chips that are more or less maxed out when it comes to overclocking headroom.

All in all don't think you'd go wrong with either board though. The Asus board should be top notch too and at $80 more it maybe could be worth waiting for given that it's going to be the newest design and has passive cooling. I'd probably want to wait for some independent reviews to come out before pulling the trigger on it though. 

• Like 1

Yes I agree with you. I think it will be best to wait till I get to order the 5900X and GPU. Hopefully the reviews will be out and if the reviews are great for the Asus I will probably go that route.

Either way I think these will be the boards I will be choosing between.

Asus ROG  Strix x 470-f, Ryzen 2700X,Flare X (4x8)3200 CL14 ,EVGA  GTX 1070 Ti, 970 EVO 500GB  NVMe, 860 EVO 1TB, 860 EVO 2TB,Seasonic TX-850, Hauppauge 1 HVR-1265, LG  27UK650-W 4K Monitor