Sign in to follow this  
CFIJose

Honeycomb Alpha Flight Yoke and Switch Panel

31 minutes ago, fppilot said:

Way to large to fit in my flying environment and at almost twice the price.  I am always suspicious when a post like the one to start this topic is so immediately followed with a plug for a different brand.

Merely pointing out the other option that lies between the toy yokes like the CH and the super expensive Brunner and Yoko level.

Basically the mid price choice comes down to the Honeycomb or Fulcrum.

I was within a day of buying the Honeycomb when I was told about the fulcrum and pre-ordered that instead. The Honeycomb is good but suffers from a short elevator movement (which as you say is a plus if you lack space) and also has all that extra switch gear which is a big bonus for people that do not have that stuff - but will double up for others.

Of course the Fulcrum is a pre-order and wait deal at present so one big plus of the Honeycomb is you can get them right now.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, fppilot said:

??????

In what I have read on the issue, people somehow are using the scroll wheel on the mouse to change heading/altitude. Maybe hovering over the knob? I don't know as I don't do it that way. I jsut use left-click on either side of the knob and all works fine so far. All the switches are assigned at defaults and I have them on like they should be during flight. I have had no issue so far.

Ryzen 7 5800 x3D, Asus Tuf Gaming X570 Plus, Geforce GTX 4080 F.E., 32GB Corsair PC-3600, 1TB Samsung Evo 970 nVME SSD, 1TB Samsung Evo 870 SSD, 500GB Samsung Evo 870 SSD

54 minutes ago, fppilot said:

I am always suspicious when a post like the one to start this topic is so immediately followed with a plug for a different brand.

I just ignored it. But, I think he meant well.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

21 minutes ago, Mikeingreen said:

I jsut use left-click on either side of the knob and all works fine so far.

OK That makes sense.  To me it appeared your earlier message was referring to knobs on the yoke, which does not have knobs. Thanks for the clarification.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

6 minutes ago, DJJose said:

I just ignored it. But, I think he meant well.

Yes, thank you.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

23 minutes ago, Mikeingreen said:

In what I have read on the issue, people somehow are using the scroll wheel on the mouse to change heading/altitude. Maybe hovering over the knob? I don't know as I don't do it that way. I jsut use left-click on either side of the knob and all works fine so far. All the switches are assigned at defaults and I have them on like they should be during flight. I have had no issue so far.

Exactly that, I have a honeycomb yoke, If I left click on the knobs on the autopilot it changes in increments of a single digit, If I hover the mouse over and use the scroll wheel it adjusts 10 at a time, useful if you want to make a fairly large adjustment (like a 90 degree turn) as you can scroll most of the way and then fine tune with a couple of clicks.

1 minute ago, feng said:

Exactly that, I have a honeycomb yoke, If I left click on the knobs on the autopilot it changes in increments of a single digit, If I hover the mouse over and use the scroll wheel it adjusts 10 at a time, useful if you want to make a fairly large adjustment (like a 90 degree turn) as you can scroll most of the way and then fine tune with a couple of clicks.

Exactly the way I do it myself, and it works perfectly.  I don’t consider it a bug.  I have read some of the most convoluted threads about folks hooking up fsuipc, unbinding the Alpha switches, standing on their left leg, etc, to fix something that works perfectly.  

I9-13900kf - rtx4090

32gb ddr5 4800mhz, 2TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD

internet - 300+ mbs / Honycomb Alpha yoke / Saitek Throttle

Dell 43” 4K 

1 hour ago, Mikeingreen said:

I received mine last Friday and like FrankR409 said, it has worked perfectly. I tested for the Heading Bug issue and I am not getting it. I don't use the scroll wheel to change altitude or heading, I use the knobs, so that may be why. As to OP, the Alpha is so far beyond what my CH Yoke in quality, it is amazing. I can't wait for the Bravo Throttle to arrive. 

I was wondering about the heading bug issue.  I haven't used my Alpha yet (just got it Monday).  Like you, I don't use the scroll wheel to change the heading or altitude, so looks like the buttons aren't going to be an issue.  Woohoo!!!!!

My Honeycomb yoke has made my simming much more enjoyable.  Very durable as well. Top notch product!

3 hours ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

Be aware the Fulcrum has also started shipping.

https://www.avsim.com/forums/forum/882-fulcrum-simulator-controls/

121967328_671113773524061_41386602674913

I have this guy on pre-order but I'm wondering what it will do for me.  Right now, because of the poor control esp elevators I always use a rocker button on the Saitek TQ assigned to trim control to manage flare and landing as the Saitek Yoke is just too course for fine control and changing axis sensitivities only helps so much.   I guess what I'm asking is:  will I likely continue this practice of using trim to control the aircraft on approach especially, or will this new yoke be so much better it may encourage me to do more w/ the yoke for fine control.  I've been at FS for decades and won't be leaving anytime soon, so the cost does not bother me for this yoke, I'm just not certain what it will bring.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Got my honeycomb a few weeks ago and I can confirm its an incredible product. The 180 degree range on both sides makes a world of difference, and my landings have improved a lot since I replaced my saitek yoke with the alpha. Now I’m eagerly awaiting the bravo throttle, already pre ordered and expected to ship mid december.

Edited by stigt

Arjen Nederstigt

System:

Intel Skylake Core i7 6700K @ 4.0GHz / Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Xtreme / Kingston 2x8GB, DDR4, 2666MHz, CL15

Microsoft Windows 10 Home 

I just recieved my Honeycomb, and I've done a few short flights with it for tuning and to get a feel for it. Like many I am coming from a Saitek Pro yoke, which I was never too fond of.

So far, I really like the roll axis movement, however, I find the elevator axis to be VERY stiff. Like I dont dig it at all.

Does anyone have any solution for this? Can I maybe adjust sensitivity way up so i dont have to push/pull so much?

For those that are happy with the pitch axis... can I trouble you for your sensitivity settings or setup?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Frank Rajnai said:

I just recieved my Honeycomb, and I've done a few short flights with it for tuning and to get a feel for it. Like many I am coming from a Saitek Pro yoke, which I was never too fond of.

So far, I really like the roll axis movement, however, I find the elevator axis to be VERY stiff. Like I dont dig it at all.

Does anyone have any solution for this? Can I maybe adjust sensitivity way up so i dont have to push/pull so much?

For those that are happy with the pitch axis... can I trouble you for your sensitivity settings or setup?

Learn to use trim. That is how you fly a real plane.

In a real plane when you go fast it is very hard to use elevator. Assign one of the left side buttons to trim, it comes with need to push both, but change that to just one and use the other for something else like custom views.

I set null zone to 0. This makes it a bit easier.

In a real plane you hold the altitude or climb/descent rate with the yoke and then trim way any force needed to hold that attitude.

Remember trim sets air speed and throttle sets climb/descent. Once you figure this out it becomes easy. 

• Like 2

Pit.jpg

Com GA Pilot, Retired • MSFS 2020 • Gigabyte 8th gen lga1151 motherboard z2370 hd3, i5 8600 8th gen 4.3ghz, Thermaltake 750w power supply, 4 x 8gb ddr4 dimm, MSI force GTO 1070 8gb ddr5, 4 SSD's • 4K main display with 3 HD displays, one is a touch screen. Often used as 3 1080P NVIDEA surround screens and one HD touchscreen for AirManager

The Alpha is superb. I've had no problem with it in MSFS. The thing about the Alpha is that you have 180 degrees of rotation in each direction, whereas with things like the Saitek (which I was quite happy with for a while), you only have 90 degrees either way (left/right). So essentially they have to use an acceleration past a certain point when turning in either direction to achieve full aileron deflection, which makes precise control during steep turns difficult, especially when low and slow.

The Alpha is an absolute joy.