Sign in to follow this  
pulstar

AxisandOhs with PMDG aircraft.

Hi Oliver,
I recommended your program to a friend of mine and we can't seem to setup AxisandOhs with the PMDG NGX on FSX. He also bought the X-Touch mini controller and your program on simmarket. On my own PC I reinstalled FSX with the NGX and I'm using your FSX version of AaO's. I'm also not able to get it to work.

PMDG uses their own command for HDG, ALT etc and I can assign those functions to keystrokes. And with FSUIPC I can also assign joystick inputs by using the PMDG variables. But FSUIPC doesn't accept MIDI input, that's why I recommended your program 😉 Is there a way to sent custom Variables to the sim like fsuipc does? By using an RPN script? Or reactivate the VirtualKey assignment, or perhaps using your program with VJoy and map a Virtual Joystick button to use with FSUIPC?

Sorry for this very specific question, thank you for all your support!

Edited by pulstar

Hello,

I was hoping that by providing a Demo version, situations like this one could be avoided... 

Fact of the matter is, that AxisAndOhs doesn't support the PMDG SDK or the manipulation of simulator local variables. AAO can send artifical keystrokes, but I have no idea if those will be picked up in turn by FSUIPC. (I don't understand the remark "reactivate the virtual key assignment" - what do you mean by that?)

There are two reasons for this. First, an external app cannot access L: variables. That functionality is simply not available in the SimConnect API. FSUIPC can do it, because it has been designed as an in-process DLL that runs inside the simulator. AAO as an external EXE can't. And with MSFS both apps can't, because there are no more in-process DLLs with that sim.

Second... to be completely honest, it makes no business sense whatsoever to invest development effort into features that are only required in the "old simulators". With the release of MSFS, all sales of my FSX/P3D apps have dropped to almost zero - Lorby has sold a total of 5 licenses for FSX/P3D apps in the last two months. That doesn't even cover the coffee that would be required to implement compatibility with the PDMG SDK. Now, if I knew that PMDG will reuse that SDK when they build new products for MSFS, that would be another matter - but that seems to be at least a year in the future.

Edit: on second thought - I will take a look into making the PMDG control events available, that shouldn't be too hard. Would you mind sending me an email to the address on the last page of the AAO manual? I will need someone to test it...

Best regards

Edited by Lorby_SI
  • Like 1

LORBY-SI

Hi Oliver, 

Yes sorry for the specific question, I was a developer once so I can imagine (now after reconsideration that is 🙈) how frustrating questions like this can be. Thank you very much for your time and honesty anyways!

In the manual it states that the virtual keys are not functional right now. But it can be that this is only the case for msfs2020 and that the Pmdg aircraft just won't accept keystrokes from AaO. I'll investigate that. 

I'm more than happy paying twice for your program so no worries there 👍

Enjoy your day! 

34 minutes ago, pulstar said:

In the manual it states that the virtual keys are not functional right now. But it can be that this is only the case for msfs2020 and that the Pmdg aircraft just won't accept keystrokes from AaO. I'll investigate that. 

Yes, it is only MSFS where they don't work - but that should only be mentioned in the MSFS manual, not the legacy variant.

Anyway, I've almost finished adding the PMDG events, so if you want, send me an email with your order number and you can try it.

Best regards

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

Hello @ll,

in version 2.03 AAO will make the PMDG variables accessible too, so you can read switch states etc. from the PMDG SDK. This is useful for example when you want to set LEDs via MIDI or an AAO bridge program.

If previous owners would like to test this, please send me a PM here in the forum.

Best regards

LORBY-SI