Sign in to follow this  
Dave-Pilot2ATC

MakeRunways for MSFS 2020 Beta

Okay. I found the problem with LFPG. It also occurs with KATL, and probably a few other large airports.

MakeRwys is currently a 32-bit program. Dating as it does from FS98 days that's not really surprising.  In order to produce all those files with the airports all in alphanumeric order, it builds up all of the information in memory. It turns out that some of these MSFS versions have huge numbers of taxipoints -- over 4000 for KATL and over 6000 for LFPG.

It simply doesn't get enough memory. It fails 'gracefully' rather than crashing. If I thought there was ever a danger of running out of the 4Gb 32-bit process memory I would have added appropriate error messages as well as acting gracefully, but this has never arisen before -- no where near, in fact.

I'm working on a 64-bit version, but it isn't easy and very error prone (especially because structures in the assorted BGLs are all still packed as if 32-bit), so it's going to take a while and will need another Beta test period. I'll put an announcement up when a Beta version is ready.

Pete

• Like 2

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

Please try the Beta

MakeRwys510BETA.zip    

Pete

2 hours ago, Pete Dowson said:

Please try the Beta

MakeRwys510BETA.zip    

Pete

Tested and now they make the taxy runways, but they aren't correct , here a pic

uTK0qGs.png

Edited by motishow

That's very strange as it looks exactly as it would without the fix for >4095 taxiway points.  Please check that you did, indeed, run the new version (see the first line of the generated Runways.txt line).

Whether the data for LFPG gets generated or not doesn't depend on the version of MakeRuways. Here, even with the previous version I did get the data. It was just that the taxiways were all over the show, just like(exactly like) what you show. I think whether it finds the memory space just varies slightly each time -- maybe some other airports got their data missing instead that time.

If you are certain you ran the new version, can you find the Runways.txt file, and extract the complete section for that airport, and  ZIP it and email it to me -- petedowson@btconnect.com.

I've used it here and the data from LFPG definitely looks correct now. The bad links were due to Taxipoints with numbers greater than 4095 being omitted and references to them in the paths treated as those with that number - 4096. That has most certainly been fixed, I am 100% sure of that.

Pete

Edited by Pete Dowson

9 hours ago, Pete Dowson said:

I've used it here and the data from LFPG definitely looks correct now. The bad links were due to Taxipoints with numbers greater than 4095 being omitted and references to them in the paths treated as those with that number - 4096. That has most certainly been fixed, I am 100% sure of that.

Well, I was right in that it does discover and list all of the Taxi points now, but somehow it still gets the linking wrong! Ouch.

Looking for the problem now ...

Pete

Okay. Silly mistake in my previous fix. Please try BETA2, now downloadable

MakeRwys510BETA2.zip

Pete

• Like 2

Pete,

Thanks for your hard work on this.  I just tried the Beta2 on LFPG and it worked perfectly!.

Dave

FSUIPCBeta2.png?raw=1

Edited by Dave-Pilot2ATC

21 minutes ago, Dave-Pilot2ATC said:

Thanks for your hard work on this.  I just tried the Beta2 on LFPG and it worked perfectly!.

Good. Thanks.

Assuming I get no adverse reports for a while (MakeRunways 5.10 needs to work correctly for P3D and FSX as well as MSFS), I'll release it officially in place of 5.02.

You see in your pic the difficulty of actually seeing the taxiway lines because of the rather large number of taxipoints drawn.  Maybe an option to hide those, or at least use a smaller marker, could be considered?

I wonder why there are so many taxipoints? Are the taxiways really so complicated, or do they zig-zag or curve rather than lie relatively straight? Or maybe they go up and down? Seems excessive, whatever it is down to.

Pete

25 minutes ago, Pete Dowson said:

You see in your pic the difficulty of actually seeing the taxiway lines because of the rather large number of taxipoints drawn.  Maybe an option to hide those, or at least use a smaller marker, could be considered?

If you zoom in to work on the taxiways, then you clearly see the taxi lines and are able to modify the taxi points using the markers.  I will add an option to hide the markers as a future enhancement.

27 minutes ago, Pete Dowson said:

I wonder why there are so many taxipoints? Are the taxiways really so complicated, or do they zig-zag or curve rather than lie relatively straight? Or maybe they go up and down?

The green markers are the taxi points found in the t5.csv file in this case.  For AI Aircraft taxi smoothness, many airport authors use a large number of points to create smooth curves. 

Dave

• Like 1

I've found a runway with wrong coordinates in P2A. During flight ATC gave me vectors to this wrong place and I couldn't land because there was no runway to be found. The maps used by P2A (Google, openStreetMap) shows the runway some miles away, and when trying to import the data generated by MakeRwys for this airport, the data loaded shows the taxiways and runway at the correct map position, but the position where ATC thinks the runway is doesn't change. Where does this information come from? Navigraph database?

can anyone take a look at LEMI airport (Murcia international airport) is an airport included in game  but the ingame IATA is RMU (don't have ICAO code) . the taxiways and gates aren't imported

thanks

1 hour ago, motishow said:

can anyone take a look at LEMI airport (Murcia international airport) is an airport included in game  but the ingame IATA is RMU (don't have ICAO code)

It looks like an Asobo error -- the airport is catalogued under that IATA code not the ICAO

<ICAO id="RMU">
<ICAOName>Región de Murcia International Airport</ICAOName>
<Country></Country>
<City>Fuente-Alamo de Murcia</City>

The taxiways, gates and runways for RMU are certainly included in the relevant MakeRwys files (T5.csv, G5.csv and R5.csv).

Please report the incorrect ICAO use to Asobo on ZenDesk.

Pete

Edited by Pete Dowson
  • Like 1