Sign in to follow this  
dbwhip

Flight Stick detection for Steam FSX

Greetings Folks;

New to FSX and using it with Air Hauler 2 (AH2)

Bought a Saitek X56 flight stick only to discover Steam does not detect many (any?) flight sticks.  The Steam forums indicate that there is a work around but steam support could not point me to it and the discussions are legion.  So,

Can someone point me to a guide on how to get Steam to detect my flight stick?  

Hopefully AH2 puts out a MSFS2020 version and I can walk away from steam, but not holding my breath on that.

Regards,

DBW

Specifically, this post:

The solution that worked for me was changing a few steam settings as I had purchased FSX through them. In the top left go to Steam->Settings->Controller->General Controller Settings and deselect everything. Then simply close out. Restart FSX and if you go to Controllers in the game under Settings your joystick should be there.

Try that if you haven't already done so. In other words forget about Steam detecting your joystick, just let the actual SIM detect the stick! 🍻 Good luck!

EDIT - Oh, and WELCOME to AVSIM! 

Edited by HighBypass

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

Over the last year or so Steam changed its application and interface to auto-detect controllers, but it may interfere with FSX:SE, which was not really built or modified to suit Steam (other than F12 for Steam screen shots).  In the Steam app, go to Settings-->Controllers-->General Controller Settings.  Uncheck everything except for Guide Button Focuses Steam.  Then save your settings and try running FSX:SE again.  For FSX:SE itself, make sure under Controls you check to enable controllers.

• Like 1

Sim: Prepar3D 5.2 (main) and Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020), CH Eclipse Yoke, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA Side Stick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Cessna trim wheel, TrackIR 5, SPAD.neXt running 3 Saitek Logitech panels, ButtKicker Gamer 2, Razer Naga Chroma gaming mouse

System: Intel i5-10600K CPU @ 4.10 GHz, Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, 64GB DDR4 RAM @ 4200 MHz, ASRock Z490M Pro4, 2TB Intel NVMe SSD 660p, 3 monitors

Thanks to all....the "deselect all" option worked and FSX now detects the the stick.  It seems to behave a bit erratically but at this point I am chalking that up to learning curve and calibration...thanks again

• Like 2

Great! Glad you can now take to the virtual skies! When you say it behaves erratically, have you tried increasing the "dead zone" at all? I wouldn't think you'd need to increase it by much if the stick is brand new.. :cool:

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

Truth to tell, I have set the stick aside until I have time to dedicate to learning how it fits with my flying.  Right now I am concentrating on Air Hauler2 and developing recreation of U.S. Air Mail routes circa 1918-1928.  About to post a separate thread looking for guidance.

DBW

• Like 1