Sign in to follow this  
Rusty Gunz

Dolby 5.1 in MSFS 2020?

I have a Vizio SB3651-E6 soundbar connected via a "display port-to-hdmi" cable using a display port on my Gigabyte RTX 2070S. I can get 3.1 sound (left, center, right and SW) when running MSFS but no sound comes through the rear speakers.

I have found VERY little information about sound systems re: MSFS. I have read that support for Dolby Atmos is native for MSFS, but my system is not Dolby Atmos compatible.

I read the post titled Sound in MSFS202, but unfortunately it does not apply to my configuration.

Anyone have any ideas about this and how to use non-Atmos Dolby 5.1 with MSFS with all speakers functional?

Rusty Gunz - been simming since the Apple II+ and Sublogic
"Any landing you can walk away from is a good one"
Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming : i7-9700K auto OC: 32GB RAM : Gigabyte Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070S 8GB OC
CoolerMaster 750W PS : Fractal Design Focus G case-6 fans : 5 SSD's (3-1TB, 2-500GB) : Saitek X52 Pro H.O.T.A.S.
Logitech MFD and Radio Panel Vizio 40" 4K HDR monitor : Windows 11 Home 64 bit

I have this working. No special settings in MSFS, but you have to check first that the speaker configuration in windows/driver panel is set to 5.1. Atc is piped to the windows communications device so you can get atc on headphones if you wish to with all other sounds on 5.1 speakers. 

Yep, nothing special required for 5.1 sound so long as your Windows speaker config is set correctly. Atmos will be used by MSFS if you enable the setting in Windows and in FS itself.

Intel Core i5-12600k, Nvidia RTX 2080 Super, 64 Gigs.

How does it sound?

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad 

Thanks for the responses, fellow simmers.  Sorry for the late replay - was visiting grandchildren the last few days.

It does appear that the issue is related to Windows 10.  I am working on it today and hope to have it resolved later in the day.

Windows 10 lets me choose a 5.1 configuration but, when testing speakers, only the front left, center, front right and SW are in the "correct" places... rear left and rear right come from the front speakers.  If I choose a 3.1 configuration everything is fine but, of course, no rear speakers.  If I opt for a quadrophonic set up all speakers work as expected left and right front, left and right rear but, of course, no SW.  Guess there has to be an answer in there somewhere.

Yes, Waldo, I had looked at the link you kindly included.  I actually checked it out before making my original posting.  Unfortunately, my sound bar, as I mentioned, is not Atmos compatible, so no joy there.

If I can find a solution, I will post it here just in case others may experience or be experiencing the same issue.

Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming : i7-9700K auto OC: 32GB RAM : Gigabyte Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070S 8GB OC
CoolerMaster 750W PS : Fractal Design Focus G case-6 fans : 5 SSD's (3-1TB, 2-500GB) : Saitek X52 Pro H.O.T.A.S.

You should not be selecting REAR left and right for 5.1. You should be selecting SURROUND left and right. You only use rears if using 7.1

CJ

Sorry, my bad.  I didn't make myself clear, CJ.

Yes, that is what I was referring to in my last post - 3.1 Surround and 5.1 Surround.  The Speaker Setup options available to me thru the Windows Device Manager are:  1. Stereo  2. Quadraphonic  3. 3.1 Surround and 4. 5.1 Surround.

1, 2, and 3 all test correctly.  4, however, has no sound from the rear surround speakers when testing.

Sorry (again), I meant Control Panel - Sound, not Device Manager.

I presume that you have tested the 5.1 arrangement using the speaker by speaker test in the Vizio Smartcast app ?

On 10/24/2020 at 1:50 PM, Waldo Pepper said:

I'm using the headphone implementation and it sounds great to me.

How does that work with headphones? How does MSFS emulate 5.1 with only two channels?

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad 

I have that Dolby app from the windows store installed,  in that app I selected "Dolby Atmos for Headphones" under the "Products" tab.   Then I right clicked on the windows taskbar volume icon, moused over spatial sound, and selected "Dolby Atmos for Headphones".

Now when I start FS2020 and look at the windows taskbar volume box it shows the words, "Dolby Atmos for Headphones is in use".    Sounds great to me

Kee-rect, CJ and all speakers were "present and accounted for".  However comma ...

There is another soundbar setting in the app that turns on surround sound.  That was disabled.  Turned it on and I now have surround sound.  Configuring/testing the speakers in the Windows sound app also indicated 5.1 performance!

Although I had downloaded the app several days ago, I just got it set up with the soundbar today (a little tricky).  It is much easier to configure settings like surround sound with the app as the display on the Vizio soundbar's remote is almost invisible except in direct sunlight.

"Now you know the rest of the story."

9 hours ago, Rusty Gunz said:

Kee-rect, CJ and all speakers were "present and accounted for".  However comma ...

There is another soundbar setting in the app that turns on surround sound.  That was disabled.  Turned it on and I now have surround sound.  Configuring/testing the speakers in the Windows sound app also indicated 5.1 performance!

Although I had downloaded the app several days ago, I just got it set up with the soundbar today (a little tricky).  It is much easier to configure settings like surround sound with the app as the display on the Vizio soundbar's remote is almost invisible except in direct sunlight.

"Now you know the rest of the story."

Cool, my business is high end audio systems so fixing problems like yours is what I do. Well done on finding your issue. Normally it is customers swearing blind that they haven't changed anything but it then turns out one of their kids has unplugged critical cable to use tbeir PS4.