Sign in to follow this  
Rusty Gunz

Dolby 5.1 in MSFS 2020?

OK, I have my 5.1 surround sound set up and working in Windows, but I don't see any option in msfs 2020 to use 5.1 surround sound, am I missing something or does it just use automatically, thanks. 

<p>vrs_supporter.png

Paul Sleight

I couldn't get surround sound in msfs until I installed DTS sound unbound.  MSFS help desk was telling me to install a free version of Dolby Atmos Home Theater but I can not find that for the life of me.  It looks like they pulled the free version from the market.  I was very pleased with the results from DTS so will probably wind up paying for the full version that includes DTS X for headphones.  I've always preferred DTS over Dolby in my home sound system and from what I've read, DTS for the PC sounds like a better PC solution.  It's free to try it out for 14 days.  Also, the issues I was having hearing ATC went away after installing DTS.

LouP

On 10/26/2020 at 4:50 PM, duckbilled said:

How does that work with headphones? How does MSFS emulate 5.1 with only two channels?

As you know, 'proper' 5.1 uses five speakers to function, however, what makes 5.1 sound like it does, is the fact that you are positioned in the middle of those five speakers. But regardless of the number of channels any sound system uses, we as humans only have two channels, i.e. one ear on each side of our heads when we listen to stuff.

So you can emulate the delay between the times the sound takes to travel from five speakers to a pair of ears from five different distances, by using stereo left and right panning, delay, reverb and volume.

It won't be exactly the same as genuine 5.1 with five speakers and your ears, since it is a bit of an 'audio blag' but (depending on what the sound is) emulation using this method could get pretty close with basic sounds such as engine noises from in front of, or off to the side of you in a flight sim. Where it will be less convincing will be with musical stereo mixes where the individual instrument positions are better emulated with actually using five speakers.

Edited by Chock
  • Like 3

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Not sure how DTS or Dolby works with headphones with two speakers, that's beyond me.  I have a true 5 speaker surround sound system that worked and tested fine in windows.  What I can also tell you is that those rear two speakers have been silent in MSFS until I installed DTS sound unbound and can't believe how good the sound is now.  Kind of ticks me off a bit that I needed to install a third party encoder to get it working, too.  But I can't be upset about that, life is too short and it is what it is.  I think the people who have surround sound working may have Dolby Atmos already installed on the PCs but you can't seem to get that for PC speakers only.  They offer the headphone drivers for $14.99 but I see no mention of a driver for speakers whereas DTS specifically addresses that.  If anyone sees a place to obtain and install the Dolby Atmos drivers for free, please let me know.

Thanks,

LouP

I have a dedicated 5.1 surround sound system connected to my creative x fi titanium fatal1ty sound card, is this dts sound unbound app a free app for pc or is it a purchase or subscription please. 

Also how easy is it to set it up for a pc to surround sound system please? 

<p>vrs_supporter.png

Paul Sleight

I gave up on my surround sound speakers.  MSFS outputs for spatial sound (not the same thing) and that works best with headphones.  I have relegated my sound to the speakers on the Reverb G2 as the speakers that come on that unit are pretty darn good.  They don't rest on your ear like traditional headphone speakers do.  Also don't waste your money on DTS or Dolby Atmos as I learned the hard way that windows mixed reality will only utilize Windows Sonic for Headphones.  They don't tell you that upfront when pushing Dolby or DTS on you.  Dolby Atmos is way better sounding but you can't use it when using a windows mixed reality headset as it automatically switches over to Windows Sonic.

LouP

Funnily enough I got the trial for dts and it turned my surround sound off in Windows, I had to go and reconfigure the whole setup, and msfs was only in stereo with it as well, so I won't be purchasing that either. 

Its weird because in fsx and p3d when I was creating my YouTube videos it always gave me the option to select 5.1 surround sound for my clips but I don't get that option with msfs. 

<p>vrs_supporter.png

Paul Sleight

2 hours ago, sleightflight said:

Funnily enough I got the trial for dts and it turned my surround sound off in Windows, I had to go and reconfigure the whole setup, and msfs was only in stereo with it as well, so I won't be purchasing that either. 

Its weird because in fsx and p3d when I was creating my YouTube videos it always gave me the option to select 5.1 surround sound for my clips but I don't get that option with msfs. 

Yes, I understand but like I said I've been through this and I think I'm pretty savvy with this stuff.  Your not going to get a 5.1 sound system to work without the system being sent a 5.1 signal, MSFS only outputs spatial sound.  Now some hardware can create an artificial 5.1 sound from a 2.1 signal.  I know mine does but it isn't true 5.1 sound and it may send the wrong sounds to the wrong places but all the speakers will make a sound.  Maybe they think all people use headphones now, I don't know.  The DTS and Dolby Atmos (and Windows Sonic) try to make a 3D sound world using just two speakers.  I don't understand the technology or how it works but when you think about it, we only have two ears and perceive a 3D world of sound somehow so maybe they are on to something.  Also, don't forget that this is designed to be used with the speakers next to your ears (headphones) so if they are sitting in front on you, it may not work properly.

LouP

Yeah I was starting to come to that conclusion myself, I do get sounds from my satellite speakers, but when I come to render a YouTube video 5.1 surround sound is not an option. 

Im really surprised msfs isn't 5.1 surround sound as FSX and P3D were. 

<p>vrs_supporter.png

Paul Sleight