Sign in to follow this  
Ianrivaldosmith

G-Sync users read this

So, in my endless pursuit to improve my system, I was frustrated because MSFS does not use exclusive full screen mode. G-Sync LOVES Exclusive full screen mode, and is a bit crappy with anything else. MSFS uses windowed borderless fullscreen mode, so it's not really proper fullscreen. 

Frame pacing in MSFS is terrible. The game uses flip sequential. Using Special K software I overrode that and used flip discard and applied more advanced frame pacing magic. This then treats the windows as if it was exclusive full screen (which G-Sync loves). So, G-Sync completely smoothes the game out.

Games on PC generally offer three different types of display modes: Fullscreen Exclusive (FSE)Windowed, and Borderless Windowed. Fullscreen Exclusive mode gives your game complete ownership of the display and allocation of resources of your graphics cardIn windowed game mode, the game is deployed in a bordered window which allows other applications and windows to continue running in the background. The Desktop Window Manager (DWM) has control of the display, while the graphics resources are shared among all applications, unlike in a Fullscreen Exclusive environment. The third mode is borderless windowed. In a borderless windowed mode, the game is still running in a window but has no border around it. This means the size of window can be adjusted to fill the entire screen while other processes still run in the background.  

Flip model is a bit less common for D3D11 and flip discard requiring Windows 10 even less so but it’s a method to reduce delay and input latency and match the former exclusive full-screen display mode when using borderless or windowed rather than having a extra frame of latency or more.
Option for D3D11 but mandatory for D3D12 and Vulkan.

• Like 5

So Ian did you try Special K out? did you fix the hook up out? 

Is it better than RTSS for you?

• Like 1

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Since RTSS seems not to work for me i'd like to try this one. But i can't get to run...Following the steps in that other thread leads to MSFS Shutting down during the loading screen.

Would you mind telling me/us how you got it to work as intended?

Best regards

• Like 1

Intel i9-13900K | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Master | RTX4090 | 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-6000 | Be quiet! Pure Loop 2 FX AiO | Win 11

I managed to get it working, I realised in order for it to work, steam must be running too. (Even though it’s not a steam game, well my copy isn’t). Then it hooked to the game no problem.

I also manually edited the whitelist, and I have a special flight simulator profile. If you want any of these files just let me know 👍

14 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

So Ian did you try Special K out? did you fix the hook up out? 

Is it better than RTSS for you?

Way better than RTSS. It’s makes it think it’s exclusive full screen, which is a massive help for G-Sync. 

I run the game on my G-sync compatible monitor with G-Sync and V-Sync enabled in Nvidia panel and then cap fps at 30 with RTSS when i need it at big busy airports, and it run very smooth without any artifacts for me.

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

1 minute ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

I managed to get it working, I realised in order for it to work, steam must be running too. (Even though it’s not a steam game, well my copy isn’t). Then it hooked to the game no problem.

I also manually edited the whitelist, and I have a special flight simulator profile. If you want any of these files just let me know 👍

I'm still confused how to add the game to the whitelist. Do i have to insert the whole filepath of the .exe file? Not sure how it has to look like. Steam is running and i get that little console in the upper screen say "Hello Thomsen....so on."

After pressing any key it closes down after some seconds.

Intel i9-13900K | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Master | RTX4090 | 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-6000 | Be quiet! Pure Loop 2 FX AiO | Win 11

10 minutes ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

Way better than RTSS. It’s makes it think it’s exclusive full screen, which is a massive help for G-Sync. 

So would it work better none a G-Sync do you think, I find RTSS is really good. But if its better?

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

10 minutes ago, ThomseN_inc said:

I'm still confused how to add the game to the whitelist. Do i have to insert the whole filepath of the .exe file? Not sure how it has to look like. Steam is running and i get that little console in the upper screen say "Hello Thomsen....so on."

After pressing any key it closes down after some seconds.

Just add FlightSimulator in the whitelist. That’s all, what do you have in it? 

3 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

So would it work better none a G-Sync do you think, I find RTSS is really good. But if its better?

No ideas outside of G-Sync to be honest. I just know G-Sync loves exclusive full screen mode. That’s why this works better. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ixoye said:

I run the game on my G-sync compatible monitor with G-Sync and V-Sync enabled in Nvidia panel and then cap fps at 30 with RTSS when i need it at big busy airports, and it run very smooth without any artifacts for me.

At 30fps I would expect it to be smooth. For me that’s not enough, I use trackIR. I’m locked at 60FPS smooth now. Unless I’m major city like LAX then I lock at 45fps.

Just now, Ianrivaldosmith said:

At 30fps I would expect it to be smooth. For me that’s not enough, I use trackIR. I’m locked at 60FPS smooth now. Unless I’m major city like LAX then I lock at 45fps.

Yeah I know, but my computer can't handle major city like LAX over 30 fps, I have set my hopes to AMD's new card.

• Like 1

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

7 minutes ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

Just add FlightSimulator in the whitelist. That’s all, what do you have in it? 

At the moment it says:

"D:\\Steam\\steamapps\\common\\MicrosoftFlightSimulator\\FlightSimulator.exe"

I'm confused, doesn't hitting Alt-Enter put it in fullscreen mode?

Edited by Phantoms

James

7 minutes ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

No ideas outside of G-Sync to be honest. I just know G-Sync loves exclusive full screen mode. That’s why this works better. 

OK, Thank you.

• Like 1