Sign in to follow this  
ryanbatc

Dino MB339: ILS?

I've got my VOR working on Dino's MB339 but how to get the glideslope to work?  I flew a ILS RWY 32 at KSTP.  The localizer was great but the glide slope marker never showed up on the attitude indicator.

Anyone know how to get this?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Just now, ryanbatcund said:

I've got my VOR working on Dino's MB339 but how to get the glideslope to work?  I flew a ILS RWY 32 at KSTP.  The localizer was great but the glide slope marker never showed up on the attitude indicator.

Anyone know how to get this?

I figured you have to use flight director GS for glideslope. But it very jerky!

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

2 minutes ago, sd_flyer said:

I figured you have to use flight director GS for glideslope. But it very jerky!

Yeah I turned on FD and pressed the nav and GS modes - but I'm not even seeing the GS at all.  Maybe I'll check another airport...IE maybe its an asobo thing.

Do you know if there's supposed to be an Autopilot?  Or just flight director?  I see the systems.cfg shows autopilot available = 1

Edited by ryanbatcund

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

17 minutes ago, ryanbatcund said:

Yeah I turned on FD and pressed the nav and GS modes - but I'm not even seeing the GS at all.  Maybe I'll check another airport...IE maybe its an asobo thing.

Do you know if there's supposed to be an Autopilot?  Or just flight director?  I see the systems.cfg shows autopilot available = 1

No autopilot, its just flight director that you set manually for altitude, heading, nav and etc. I tested it with ILS of my airports and got localizer and glodeslope working but they were kind of jerky and hard to follow. I messaged developer about it but he didn't reply

11 minutes ago, sd_flyer said:

No autopilot, its just flight director that you set manually for altitude, heading, nav and etc. I tested it with ILS of my airports and got localizer and glodeslope working but they were kind of jerky and hard to follow. I messaged developer about it but he didn't reply

Hmmm...yeah I tried another ILS signal... one that has been in the flightsim default navdata for over a decade and I still get a flag on the GS.  Am I missing a switch to display GS?

This is the ILS RWY 27 at KDLH - See the rectangle flag on the ADI for GS?

(realized I never set radio nav for FD - but that wouldn't affect GS) - also the outer marker light comes on passing the FAF so the signal is present...just not on my gauge

50520552912_2aeed30a8b_o.pngkdlh by Ryan Butterworth, on Flickr

Edited by ryanbatcund

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

I used FLT DIR RADIO NAV and GS which gave me both localizer and glideslope. But it was vertical and horizontal bars not GS tape on right side like on your pic. I haven't tempered with GS ARM

10 hours ago, sd_flyer said:

I used FLT DIR RADIO NAV and GS which gave me both localizer and glideslope. But it was vertical and horizontal bars not GS tape on right side like on your pic. I haven't tempered with GS ARM

Weird, I'm not even getting the GS FD bar to come up...  hmmm

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

2 hours ago, ryanbatcund said:

Weird, I'm not even getting the GS FD bar to come up...  hmmm

Does  MSFS has correct ILS freq for the airport you tried? I did ILS for my local airport  and was able to follow GS and LOC all way to the runway. I had frequency tuned in,  selected VOR and in FLT DIR was  GS and NAV. I got both bars for localized and glideslope. 

Yep - the frequency works in other aircraft with glideslope.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

I tried this approach just now (KDLH - ILS 27 I-JUD 108.70, 273 degrees). With nav set to VOR, and flight director RADIO NAV and GS selected...

Beyond ILS range (~27ish NM), I got two two red flags on the ADI, bars positioned to the left and top, HSI had a single red flag for course deviation. When I picked up the radio, my HSI flag disappeared along with the ADI direction flag and the FD direction bar activated. When I picked up the glideslope signal, the GS flag disappeared and the GS bar activated. Basically, pretty much worked as expected I think. Followed the bars in for a successful landing. No DME - miles on the HSI remained '000'. There's a white pointer on the left of the ADI beside the GS flag that doesn't seem to move at all - kind of expect this might indicate GS also, but mine never moved. Don't know every indicator on this instrument so I'm not sure.

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

9 hours ago, ryanbatcund said:

Yep - the frequency works in other aircraft with glideslope.

Don't know if this helps, but another data point in my post above, in case you didn't see it.

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

Since its working for everyone I must just be missing something.  

The only thing you have to do is press VOR right (and tune the frequency)?

The buttons for FD are only for FD bars.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

Here is what works for me:

Tune ILS on VOR receiver.  Click on the GS, GS ARM, and RADIO NAV FD Buttons.  Be sure VOR is selected as nav source.

Steer the ILS using the bars on the attitude ball.

I have never gotten the bug on the HSI to work with the glideslope.

Dutch

Edited by Dutch727

Charles "Dutch" Owen - Developer at Military Visualizations - currently working on the C310R and SR-71A project for MSFS.

5 minutes ago, Dutch727 said:

I have never gotten the bug on the HSI to work with the glideslope.

Dutch

Ok I'm going to check something.  I think I'm a moron....I think I just didn't notice the GS carrot....  if you look at my pic it seems to be just to the lower left of red flag.

Edited by ryanbatcund
  • Like 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |