Sign in to follow this  
rudder

win10 permission

HI all, just moved to win 10, installed fsx runs great,tried to install scenery get following.

"need permission to load files on this computer"

I am the owner of this computer also administrator. very frustrated.need help. rudder.

FSX: Steam Edition?

In Explorer, right-click on the folder:

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX

From the popup menu choose Properties, select Security Tab, Press Edit, choose Users (My PC\Users), in the box below check the box Modify Allow, OK, OK.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

...not sure if that's the issue but it does help some addon scenery to install.

Also with a fresh install of Windows, FSX: SE you probably need to install another SimConnect version depending on addons, run the FSX-SP1 msi:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\SDK\Core Utilities Kit\SimConnect SDK\LegacyInterfaces\FSX-SP1\SimConnect.msi

FSX-XPACK version usually installs with FSX.

If you are using the boxed version FSX Gold, no need to worry.

SteveW, thanks for your reply,tried all what you suggested, still the same ca not add files to this comp.

ps. I am not using steam. rudder.

Hi rudder,

On the root folder of the drive you are installing into, (e.g. C:\) can you select in Explorer, choose Properties, Security tab, click Advanced. In the window next to "Administrators" does it show Allow and Full Control? And in the window next to "Authenticated Users" does it show Allow and Modify and also on another line shows Create folders?

In the folder you installed FSX into can you select in Explorer and choose properties, Security tab, click Edit, choose Users, check the Modify Allow box, Ok, Ok.

When you run the installer for the scenery, does it pop up a message box "OK to run as Admin"? If not can you start the installer by right-clicking and choosing run as administrator?

The problem is that you have probably installed into C:\Program Files instead of C:\

You will have issues if you installed into FSX's default spot.

You can actually copy the whole folder from it's default directory & paste it into C:\

Then right-click the fsx.exe & send to desktop, after deleting the original there.

Then right-click the newly posted exe & Run as Administrator.

Nothing to do with security issues. 

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

1 hour ago, Wobbie said:

The problem is that you have probably installed into C:\Program Files instead of C:\

You will have issues if you installed into FSX's default spot.

You can actually copy the whole folder from it's default directory & paste it into C:\

Then right-click the fsx.exe & send to desktop, after deleting the original there.

Then right-click the newly posted exe & Run as Administrator.

Nothing to do with security issues. 

If he moves the installed place as you say to, then he should also change the path in the registry:

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\10.0

e.g. SetupPath = C:\FSX

Otherwise some scenery installers won't find the installed-to location.

Or use the Flight1 registry repair tool. 

It works like a charm

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...

Just for conversation:

With FSX Boxed, the general way to install is to make a user folder and install to it so that the user automatically has modify access, or install into the default program files location and add the Modify Allow to the Users group on that folder. For those addons that save settings in there - run as admin is then not required. With running as admin the user has modify access whether installed to program files or a user folder and so in theory no access problems should arise.

With regards to FSX Steam it is worth mentioning that is slightly different, the program files folder already has Modify Allow on the Users group. The difference with FSX Steam is that the ProgramData folder where the scenery.cfg is located does not have the Modify access for the Users group which can become a problem for some addons. However,  FSX Steam always runs as admin so again, modify access is not denied anyway.

In this problem with rudder's system it appears to be something different. He seems to be running as admin, but the problem is that files cannot be added giving an access permission error. This seems odd behavior and may be a result of updating to Windows 10 from an older system or at some time in the past access rights were altered by taking ownership or some other behavior. 

Easiest just to install to C:\

Nothing to mod, no fiddling.. Maybe just to run as Administrator.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...

Agreed, although that is in itself a modicum of fiddling to make your own folder and subsequently to be sure addons found it OK, and there can be some issues up the road. You make your own folder and install there, seems innocent enough, until you find a new folder in program files called \gauges after installing a plane and so on like that. Another issue that happened a lot was some folk ended up with FSX files in the root by mistake.

When FSX came out we had modify access to the program files in WinXP, but then Win7 changed it to read only. So being an NT guy I naturally just checked the modify box on the Users group to continue as-is and so my panel_states and such were allowed to work as they were in XP.

In the case of Prepar3D professional sites whereby you can't run as admin and they require the program files folder used normally, what then? You install to the recommended location and check the modify allow permission for the users group on the LM folder or the P3D folder (same for FSX boxed) which maintains a consistent approach to security that a professional site absolutely requires.

Have a look at this for example: Explorer, locate the program files folder where a user needs read/write, popup menu Properties, Security tab, Edit button, choose Users group (MyPC\Users), check the Modify Allow box, OK, OK, that's not hard or fiddly. In reality, Read write permission in program files folders are only needed if there are apps (addons) that install user mode settings into the simulator program folder and  run as admin is not an option.

I've never had a problem. A few weeks ago, a friend installed into the default directory. Obviously it did not work.

I moved it to it's own directory in C:, did the Flight1 registry repair, & ran as Administrator. I did all of that using TeamViewer, as he had no idea what to do. 

Subsequently, also using TeamViewer, I've installed aircraft & scenery, both freeware & payware..No issues!

FS2004 works the same way. (I've 9 separate installs in C:\)

'Shrug!'

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...

15 hours ago, Wobbie said:

I've never had a problem. A few weeks ago, a friend installed into the default directory. Obviously it did not work.

You didn't say what did not work. FSX boxed works perfectly installed to stock location, what doesn't work is some addons settings are not saved running as User in Windows operating systems later than WinXP.

As I said the only problems are encountered by the read only program files folder. If you are running as admin you have read/write access anyway.

I have no issues doing things the easy way which is to check the modify allow which also checks the write allow for you. I mentioned it because I felt it would be a nice addition to your toolbox. 

FSX did not start & seemed to hang. I cannot remember if there was an error message, or not. As soon as I saw it not working, I realised what the issue was, & moved FSX. 

FSX boxed did not work at all, when installed to the stock location. Hence the move. Some add-on settings not working, was a non issue, al this issue was not picked up at all.

Some add-ons, some very old, would not install, unless the install was extracted to the desktop, & then run in compatibility mode, as admin.

Thanks for this addition. Appreciate another way of doing things.

• Like 1

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...

33 minutes ago, Wobbie said:

Thanks for this addition. Appreciate another way of doing things.

Thanks. Definitely worth checking out.

For your ref. I've got everything FSX Gold, P3D v2/3/4/5 all installed to stock and all run without admin permissions with all popular addons that write settings into the program folder. I've checked the Modify Allow, here I've shown it on the P3D v2/3 folders:

P3DUsersGroup.jpg

Explorer, locate folder, choose properties, select security tab, press edit button, choose users group, check modify allow.

Expanding on that, if we, as a user, make a folder we own that folder and naturally have all permissions to it, installing the sim into that folder or another drive makes it all work. Worth having a go at this method since there are times when for example, a user profile may become disrupted. If we check the Modify allow for the Users group on our private folder or our installs on other drives they become available to all users, including admins. Reasoning is that if we log into Windows as another user we don't have access to private folders, even run as admin don't have permission, which could be an aspect of the OP problem.

The OP is experiencing a problem whereby he can't install scenery addons even as admin. Usually those addon installers elevate to run as admin and so they would normally have permission to write to program files, the normal location for programs. Maybe he has used another log in or updated to Win10 from an older setup. Seems an odd problem to have, but it can happen by acquiring rights that are maladjusted.

Edited by SteveW