Sign in to follow this  
Vegas-Rob

Training lesson keeps saying not going fast enough

Hello again folks. So I am going through the built-in training videos in the app. The first two went well. But I am stuck on the third because of fact that every time I apply full throttle and move down the runway, the video tells me I am not going fast enough to take off and starts me all over again.

At full throttle and the parking brake released, I seem to be at an air speed of about 80 when  the video fails.

What am I supposed to do? I readily admit I don't understand flight concepts very well yet which is exactly why I am taking the lessons.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rob

P.S. Anyone know why I always set the flag to notify me of replies yet I never get notified when they come in?

First step, look down at the throttle in the cockpit and make sure that when your controller's throttle is all the way forward, the airplane's throttle is too.  If your controller is mis-calibrated, you could be at full throttle physically, but the game only sees it as, say, 60% throttle.

• Like 1

I am using a CH Eclipse yoke and CH throttle quadrant. Is there some way to calibrate the throttle control in MSFS. I see sensitivity but I don't see calibration.

26 minutes ago, Vegas-Rob said:

I am using a CH Eclipse yoke and CH throttle quadrant. Is there some way to calibrate the throttle control in MSFS. I see sensitivity but I don't see calibration.

You do it in windows.

In the windows search type "game controller settings" and you should get an option to go to USB controllers and calibrate there.

BTW what aircraft are you flying that is still on the runway at 80 knots ?

A plain old Cessna 152. That's why I don't understand the training session telling me I'm not going fast enough. I will check out what you said about calibrating.

1 minute ago, Vegas-Rob said:

A plain old Cessna 152. That's why I don't understand the training session telling me I'm not going fast enough. I will check out what you said about calibrating.

Odd.

A 152 usually rotates by itself around 50 knots unless you absolutely force it to stay on the runway with an awful lot of forward stick. 

Windows, for all the CH products, tells me to use the CH Control Manager. I thought that wasn't even supported in Windows 10.

3 minutes ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

Odd.

A 152 usually rotates by itself around 50 knots unless you absolutely force it to stay on the runway with an awful lot of forward stick. 

Exactly. If calibration doesn't fix it, try the take-off with your hand completely off the yoke, just in case you're inadvertently applying forward pressure, pushing the nose wheel into the ground. There should be no need to pull back on the yoke to actually rise off the runway.

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)

4 minutes ago, Vegas-Rob said:

Windows, for all the CH products, tells me to use the CH Control Manager. I thought that wasn't even supported in Windows 10.

Window sort of broke it and CH do not really care.

There are apparently work arounds like run as administrator and turn off USB power settings and disable that stupid windows fast start option. Here is a random thread a quick google search found.

https://forum.jg1.org/topic/5375-fix-ch-products-control-manager-after-windows-10-creator-update/

I feel ya. I have CH products and man, I wish I didn't. The Fighterstick is good. The throttle is meh. The rudder is pretty much garbage. I thought: if it's good enough for Wags (DCS fame), it should be good enough for me. Wrong. lol

Anyway, the calibration works for me in Windows 10 and I don't do anything special. However, use the CH Control Manager v4.55. The CM Control Center just unplugs all my controllers and quits. Then I have to restart to get everything going again.

Unfortunately, this is a bad time to be shopping for controllers, as there aren't any available.

Good luck and happy flying.

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

50 minutes ago, RichieFly said:

The rudder is pretty much garbage.

They are basically a toy rather than a serious pedal option.

Aside from quality, one of the biggest issue is the CH pedals are designed to double (unsuccessfully) as car pedals. Hence the heavy centre detent and the way your foot sits flat on the pedals, The centre detent makes them pretty useless for rotary wing.

I actually  still use a CH rudder but it has been repaired at least 8 or 10 times, those thin wires they use snap so easily.

It is also heavily modified. I got a wood chisel to the plastic centre detent stoppers inside and then Dremel-ed them flat, I put heavier springs in and add a third central one. Then finally I attached a couple of short furniture legs to the back so it cants up at about 30 degrees and put a heavy rubber mat under it. They are now useable ... sort of. I can now sit my heels on the floor for yaw control and then lift my feet onto the pedal for braking the way you get used to in a real life GA plane and the centre detent is much less intrusive.

That said, they are due for replacement. I am tossing up between crosswinds and TPR pedals though the new Honeycomb do look interesting.

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick

Interesting Glenn. I've thought about doing something about that center detent and this gives me hope. Thanks.

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

31 minutes ago, RichieFly said:

Interesting Glenn. I've thought about doing something about that center detent and this gives me hope. Thanks.

I cannot claim the idea as my own, I followed these instructions:

Thanks very much.

BTW, the MFG Crosswind V2 are available from their site. I'm thinking about pulling the trigger. You only live once and all...

Edited by RichieFly
News

Richard Chafey

MSFS 2020, DCS

14 hours ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

They are basically a toy rather than a serious pedal option.

And I remember a time when if you went over to someone's house and they had CH stuff clamped to the desk, you got *really* jealous.

15 hours ago, RichieFly said:

Unfortunately, this is a bad time to be shopping for controllers, as there aren't any available.

You ain't kiddin'! You can still get 'em but man, the markup is insane. I think I paid $150 for my T1600-M HOTAS setup a year or so ago. Now used ones are going for $290 on Amazon. And I thought the used car market was insanely overpriced...