Sign in to follow this  
Shayne

No snow with real weather - anyone had snow yet?

Here in the US its has been snowing in our northern portion and many states have had snow some almost a foot.

I have loaded the sim up at many airports that are showing snow and have yet to have the weather engine have snow.

One strange thing is the weather always starts or when you bring it up before your flight to first set it it is always at present highlighted, not sure if this is normal but again I cant get snow to save my life.

Any thought would be appreciated.

Shayne

Is live snow actually possible right now? I had a feeling that, like seasons, this is not yet enabled. Maybe I've remembered that wrong.

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)

I'm very interested in this topic. I haven't had snow yet, but it won't be long now! Now are you talking about snow falling from the sky, snow on the ground, or both?

No clue but the sim currently shows snow in the sierras on the mountain tops and ridges. There is currently NO snow there.

SAR Pilot. Flight Sim'ing since the beginning.

I am interested in this also. I was looking for somewhere to fly today in snow but couldn't find anywhere where it was snowing. I have a feeling ground snow will only be on departure if its snowing at your spawn departure point. Hope I am wrong.

Well it has been snowing in many of the states in the North, SD, MN, ID, WI all have had snow this week and more noow but nothing at any airport falling from the sky or on the ground.

May not be implemented yet but it would be nice to find out.

It was snowing in real life where I live yesterday, but it was raining in the game.

• Upvote 1

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

I flew into Kelowna CYLW yesterday and the metar was showing light snow. When I arrived there was light snow depicted in live weather. No snow on the ground but it was light snow.

• Upvote 1

NAX669.png

When using Weather Force, snow will be displayed on the terrain when snow is present in the metar. I'm not sure why default wouldn't.

snow.jpg

Edited by timest
  • Like 7
  • Upvote 1

Tim Fuchs
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

support www.rexaxis.com

1 hour ago, Flyfaster_MTN002 said:

No clue but the sim currently shows snow in the sierras on the mountain tops and ridges. There is currently NO snow there.

I would assume that's simply down to whatever the Bing map images show, since they will only alter when newer data replaces it.

Oh, and @Shayne, could we avoid using all capitals in the thread titles please?🙂

Edited by 109Sqn
  • Like 1

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)

1 hour ago, Flyfaster_MTN002 said:

Not sure but this sounds more like it was part of the imagery and not snow generated by the sim. I don‘t think the sim is capable of depicting different levels of snow at different altitudes yet.

Edited by Shack95
  • Like 1

i9-11900K, RTX 4090, 32 GB ram, Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, TCA Airbus sidestick and quadrant, Reverb G2

11 minutes ago, timest said:

When using Weather Force, snow will be displayed on the terrain when snow is present in the metar. I'm not sure why default wouldn't.

If this is the case can you post a shot of the Minneapolis area currently?   As others have noted winter is not simulated yet.

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

One point to consider is that the live weather uses a weather model - Meteoblue.  It is one of a series of modelling algorithms using the same set of meteorological datapoints worldwide.  If you look at windy.com you can see the meteoblue depiction alongside other models - I assume that the prediction shown in Windy is also mirrored in MSFS.  All the models typically show subtle differences in weather predictions at locations at various timepoints.  Even though it is actually snowing at your location, if any of the predictive simulations (including Meteoblue) don't predict snow, then they won't forecast it for your location.

Regards.

Edited by Simjockey
Spelling.

Paul Davies.

Using WeatherForce it does show it snowing, but not covering the ground

UPS123.png

7 minutes ago, rfelger said:

Using WeatherForce it does show it snowing, but not covering the ground

Sure it does. The speed in which it covers the ground is dictated by the frequency of the precip. Look at the pic I posted above. We also have control in how fast the terrain is covered. We may look into giving the end-user accessible parameters.

Edited by timest
  • Upvote 1

Tim Fuchs
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

support www.rexaxis.com