Sign in to follow this  
jymp

Fix for bad AA ?

25 minutes ago, March Hare said:

My fear is that they have continued to degrade visuals because users have been pretty insistent on getting a solid 60 FPS. But I still think this sim doesn't really need to run at 60 FPS. It's a largely inanimate model moving relatively slowly through a mostly inanimate world, so it looks really smooth at 30 FPS, I think.

Anyhow, Asobo seem genuinely surprised by AA problems, so they might not have purposely downgraded this aspect.

I too thought it might be driver issues, but other games still look perfectly smooth around the edges with TAA enabled.

Yes it runs smooth at 30fps, but to hold 30fps in the worst case scenarios in 4k Ultra still requires a monster computer, my computer can barely hold 30fps it in 2k Ultra in those situations.

Edited by Ixoye

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

11 minutes ago, Ixoye said:

Yes it runs smooth at 30fps, but to hold 30fps in the worst case scenarios still requires a monster computer.

I have a i7-8700 CPU and GTX1070 and 32GB RAM. I have always run it on full ultra settings with 30 FPS. Not in any way a monster computer. It doesn't really struggle during bad live weather (storms). Maybe not quite as consistent.

But I would argue that, for people who have frame rate issues on lower spec machines, that's what the multitude of sliders are for in the settings, to compromise in other areas.

Stutters are a different matter, and I don't believe are connected to frame rate but rather streaming of data. Upgrading to 32GB for me eliminated serious stuttering. Later, a bad NVIDIA driver reintroduced it but has since been fixed in the latest driver.

Edited by March Hare
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, March Hare said:

I disagree. I have a i7-8700 CPU and GTX1070 and 32GB RAM. I have always run it on full ultra settings with 30 FPS. Not in any way a monster computer.

I would argue that, for people who have frame rate issues on lower spec machines, that's what the multitude of sliders are for in the settings, to compromise in other areas.

Stutters are a different matter, and I don't believe are connected to frame rate but rather streaming of data. Upgrading to 32GB for me eliminated serious stuttering. Later, a bad NVIDIA driver reintroduced it but has since been fixed in the latest driver.

So you mean that your computer can hold 30 fps at big international airports at busy hours in Ultra + live traffic and weather?

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

Just now, Ixoye said:

So you mean that your computer can hold 30 fps at big international airports at busy hours in Ultra + live traffic and weather?

I reread and edited my post accordingly before you replied. But still don't think it needs a monster PC to do a really good job, as mine does very well and is nowhere near the upper end of the PC hardware market

1 minute ago, March Hare said:

I reread and edited my post accordingly before you replied. But still don't think it needs a monster PC to do a really good job, as mine does very well and is nowhere near the upper end of the PC hardware market

You are right about that, but in these extreme situations i don't think any hardware available today can hold it at 60fps, my rig struggles to hold 30fps in these situations.

I have had this same problem. I filed a ZenDesk ticket and all I got back is they were providing the feedback back - no fix. I think either people with beast systems are not having the issue or people who are are just ignoring it.

I have a 1080ti and was able to significantly reduce the issue by moving to 4K an reducing the render scale to 60-70. This was the only way to reduce the issue and keep decent performance. I do want to stress the issue is still there.

Hope this helps some people.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nosaj_armstrong said:

....I have a 1080ti and was able to significantly reduce the issue by moving to 4K an reducing the render scale to 60-70. This was the only way to reduce the issue and keep decent performance. I do want to stress the issue is still there.

Hope this helps some people.

It does help, because some people don't see it, and throw it back as a driver or set-up issue, but it definitely is something to do with the way rendering has changed slightly in the sim.  Just like with the changes to the water and water/building reflection rendering, which really can't be denied.

I also tried your settings above on my 1080Ti, and I can just about hold 30 fps in general, but if anything complex happens (scenery etc.) the card gets really hot and throttles itself, causing stuttering.  There are slight differences in 1080 card specs and cooling solutions between manufacturers of course.  But as you say, it does reduce the poor anti-aliasing performance, as would be expected at higher resolution. 👍

I am really looking forward to the update tomorrow, and I hope we are all happy with it, but I am beginning to think it might be better to do a reset and just start again from the August 18th release.  Performance, display, and functionality wise, I was happy with that as a starting point.  Other than the Japan scenery, I don't think we have gained much since then.  A lot of the most useful improvements have been made by the community up to now, so I am really looking towards MS/Asobo to restore some confidence with tomorrows update.

Come on Asobo - patch us happy - we know you can do it!  😁

Edited by bobcat999
  • Upvote 2

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

This sim is feeling more and more like a £100 bait and switch patch after patch. I hope they straighten it out and don't expect buyers to settle for deceased graphics fidelity month after month. 

• Like 1

for all those complaining about AA, make sure Nvidia GE is not optimizing the game and changing your AA settings. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the AA. I run 4k, with render scaling at 80, TAA, no SS and I have no shimmering or bad AA. Seems like a lot of users just complaining because thats the norm now sm

4 hours ago, devgrp said:

for all those complaining about AA, make sure Nvidia GE is not optimizing the game and changing your AA settings. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the AA. I run 4k, with render scaling at 80, TAA, no SS and I have no shimmering or bad AA. Seems like a lot of users just complaining because thats the norm now sm

Absolutely not a case of "complaining because it's the norm". A ridiculous claim. I love this sim, on the whole, and I can't really see some of the issues that others seem to see, but I don't deny them.

TAA isn't terrible right now - a noticeable improvement has actually been made in the previous patch, although it hasn't been officially acknowledged - but it still isn't as good as it was at launch. I mainly see it around control panels and digital display text in the cockpit (Cessna 152 mainly, as that's what I usually fly). The panels had solid edges at launch, no aliasing which is now there, most noticeably whenever the aeroplane is banking, for example.

Geforce Experience hasn't reduced any settings, either.

I'm not running at 4K because my GPU can't handle it, and maybe it would appear better if I could set it to 4K, but that would be beside the point as TAA was perfect at launch at 1080p.

• Upvote 3

Notice. For better quality of AA (smaller pixel) you can use Rander Scale (try 130% or more).

Here is my example (antialiasing x2 only):

YxJ2Y1z.jpg

but rander scale its fps killer also.

Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.
Yoyosimsbanner.gif
Win 10 64, i9 9900k, RTX 3090 24Gb, RAM32Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: HP Reverb G2

I had no AA or shimmering issues during testing. Since the retail dropped my AA has degraded and it's getting worst with every update. I get shimmering on buildings, terminals and overall the AA quality is quite poor.

The AA issue has nothing to do with hardware or video card settings because I have the same hardware and settings since the alpha. Right now I have a 2080 and fly in 1080, in a few weeks I'll be getting my new PC with a 3080 so I'll see if it makes a difference. I doubt it will.

Edited by B787Pilot3222
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

56 minutes ago, B787Pilot3222 said:

I had no AA or shimmering issues during testing. Since the retail dropped my AA has degraded and it's getting worst with every update. I get shimmering on buildings, terminals and overall the AA quality is quite poor.

The AA issue has nothing to do with hardware or video card settings because I have the same hardware and settings since the alpha. Right now I have a 2080 and fly in 1080, in a few weeks I'll be getting my new PC with a 3080 so I'll see if it makes a difference. I doubt it will.

I can reply you now without your waiting - difference between nVidia GPU and his AA here? No ;D.

All this GPU uses the SAME drivers and MSFS has the same engine for this, so how you can imagine differences between those cards and his antialiasing ? Its a crazy idea :D.

Edited by YoYo
  • Upvote 1

Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.
Yoyosimsbanner.gif
Win 10 64, i9 9900k, RTX 3090 24Gb, RAM32Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: HP Reverb G2

12 hours ago, devgrp said:

And the award for Yesterday's Most Unhelpful Post goes to...devgrp!

• Like 3