Sign in to follow this  
jymp

Fix for bad AA ?

For me MSFS2020 on release had bad AA and shimmering, patch two fixed it, a lot better AA, and less shimmering, but then patch 3 went back to bad AA with bad shimmering, is there any fix for this ?, using Nvidia RTX2080 Super.

• Like 1

Not noticed this. I have zero AA issues on a 8gb  2070 super card. I run the sim maxed out with reflections off and at 4k with render scaling at 70.

1 hour ago, jymp said:

For me MSFS2020 on release had bad AA and shimmering, patch two fixed it, a lot better AA, and less shimmering, but then patch 3 went back to bad AA with bad shimmering, is there any fix for this ?, using Nvidia RTX2080 Super.

Check out GPU drivers and NV Control Panel settings something is likely amiss.  I'm on an RTX2070 Super and don't have bad AA nor shimmering.

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

This is a real issue and many people have reported it, and even Asobo say they think they see it but they are not sure what they have done to cause it at the moment. 

It is true some people don't see it, but there has been a change in sim, and it is not settings related.  The look of the water and night time building reflections on the water have also changed since launch (worse). 

The AA was definitely degraded after patch two I believe.  It isn't massive, but it is noticeable and annoying.

For those running at 4k on a 20 series card without any problems - well done!   I would expect this to be less of a problem for you.  But if you gave something less powerful, as I do, I can't run at 4k.

I have a GTX1080Ti running at 1440, with TAA and scaling at 130% (as high as I can go with this card).    

I had perfect AA at launch with 1440 and the above settings.  Now there is shimmering and jaggies in the distance, and on some aircraft lines in the outside view (window lines and livery lines etc.)

Some people say it is actually the sharpening filter that has been enhanced and is clashing with it.  It is better when I turn sharpening off in the usercfg file, but then the instruments are blurred.

Why can't they just put it back to how it was at launch?  I hope they can find and reverse the change they made.  (same as with the water and clear air lightning 🙄)

Edited by bobcat999
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 7

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

5 hours ago, bobcat999 said:

I had perfect AA at launch with 1440 and the above settings.  Now there is shimmering and jaggies in the distance, and on some aircraft lines in the outside view (window lines and livery lines etc.)

I agree, the game definitely looked better at launch than it does right now.

Edited by Ixoye
  • Like 4

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

7 hours ago, bobcat999 said:

This is a real issue and many people have reported it, and even Asobo say they think they see it but they are not sure what they have done to cause it at the moment. 

It is true some people don't see it, but there has been a change in sim, and it is not settings related.  The look of the water and night time building reflections on the water have also changed since launch (worse). 

The AA was definitely degraded after patch two I believe.  It isn't massive, but it is noticeable and annoying.

For those running at 4k on a 20 series card without any problems - well done!   I would expect this to be less of a problem for you.  But if you gave something less powerful, as I do, I can't run at 4k.

I have a GTX1080Ti running at 1440, with TAA and scaling at 130% (as high as I can go with this card).    

Some people say it is actually the sharpening filter that has been enhanced and is clashing with it.  It is better when I turn sharpening off in the usercfg file, but then the instruments are blurred.

Why can't they just put it back to how it was at launch?  I hope they can find and reverse the change they made.  (same as with the water and clear air lightning 🙄)

100% agree with this post.

Sim was fine AA wise before patch 3

My operating resolution is also 1440p using an RTX 2080 Super with TAA.

I did not install Nvidia Experience (driver install only) So that isnt a factor for me to consider either.

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 5900X / Asus Strix B550 F Gaming Wifi / Powercolor AMD 6800XT Red Devil / 32GB Gskill Trident Neo DDR4 3600 / 2x ADATA XPG 8200pro NVME / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / EVGA Supernova 750 GT PSU / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance /

Viotek 3440x1440p Freesync / Schiit Bifrost DAC+ Schiit Asgard AMP /  Sennheiser HD 558 / Thrustmaster T.16000M + TFRP Rudders

7 hours ago, bobcat999 said:

I have 4k with 2080Ti and AA looks bad. I have tried so many different settings but it still looks bad. 

• Like 1

I9-13900K | ASUS ROG Strix Z790-E Gaming LGA 1700 | MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 24GB | CORSAIR iCUE H150i ELITE LCD Liquid Cooler | CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 64GB (2X36) 5200MHx DDR5 | Thermaltake GF3 1650W 80+ Gold PSU | Samsung QN90C Neo QLED TV 50”

And what is strange, no any big difference on the screen (or no any even!) between 2x and x8 ...

Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.
Yoyosimsbanner.gif
Win 10 64, i9 9900k, RTX 3090 24Gb, RAM32Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: HP Reverb G2

I have this too in 1440. It's a real shame as everything else looks great; the stitching on the cockpit seats, the instruments, the NDs. 

The AA and jaggies is particularly bad when looking through the spinning prop.

15 hours ago, Ixoye said:

I agree, the game definitely looked better at launch than it does right now.

It looked better in alpha.  Then everyone complained about performance....so they nerfed a lot of the visual settings.  Cities looked waaaaay sharper from a distance, and general photogrammetry was sharper.

• Upvote 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

21 hours ago, bobcat999 said:

Same experience here. Running at 1080p, and TAA implementation was perfect on launch. A couple of patches ago, it became literally rough around the edges.

Asobo have a huge list to go through, so I hope this isn't pushed to the back burner. Visually it was so much more stunning at launch.

Edited by March Hare
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, ryanbatcund said:

It looked better in alpha.  Then everyone complained about performance....so they nerfed a lot of the visual settings.  Cities looked waaaaay sharper from a distance, and general photogrammetry was sharper.

My fear is that they have continued to degrade visuals because users have been pretty insistent on getting a solid 60 FPS. But I still think this sim doesn't really need to run at 60 FPS. It's a largely inanimate model moving relatively slowly through a mostly inanimate world, so it looks really smooth at 30 FPS, I think.

Anyhow, Asobo seem genuinely surprised by AA problems, so they might not have purposely downgraded this aspect.

I too thought it might be driver issues, but other games still look perfectly smooth around the edges with TAA enabled.

For me at launch the sim had bad AA and shimmering, which was somewhat fixed - not perfect but better in patch 2, patch 3 and 4 back to bad AA and bad shimmering, trying everything, but nothing helps.

13 minutes ago, jymp said:

For me at launch the sim had bad AA and shimmering, which was somewhat fixed - not perfect but better in patch 2, patch 3 and 4 back to bad AA and bad shimmering, trying everything, but nothing helps.

Which AA mode do you use?

EDIT: Anything less than the TAA setting gives significantly worse AA. FXAA has always been particularly bad (within this sim).

Edited by March Hare