Sign in to follow this  
ErichB

Placement of Animals in MFS?

I was looking to start a project which would populate various game reserves like the Kruger National Park in South Africa (which has various open border airstrip perimeters) with giraffe and elephant from the available library.    The SDK doesn't seem to explain how this can be done as the 'Animals' section is TBD.  If it can be done, and you know how, would you mind reaching out.  Although I assume animals are just 'simobjects' and should in be able to be placed in the same way as you'd place a hangar?

• Like 3

if your wanting to just place static animals its just like any scenery object
there are also some "World Scripts" you can 'place' in the sdk - i managed to get a flock of birds at my local airport that fly around
although thats as far as i could get, i imagine someone will eventually figure out how to make custom world scripts for other animals

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, ErichB said:

I was looking to start a project which would populate various game reserves like the Kruger National Park in South Africa....

I would be interested to see how you progress with this. It would be fun to run flights for safari etc. I remember there was a show (series) on TV on real life bush pilots in Africa doing just that. I believe it is up on YT somewhere.

• Like 2

Hi Erich B,

First disclaimer, I havent actually tried this out myself, but it is something I plan to add to some of the sceneries I'm developing.

This is a response I got courtesy of /u/APeX3181 on https://www.reddit.com/r/FS2020Creation/

You can't currently create your own scripts or edit existing ones. But you can use the scripts that are already built in. In the SDK, in the objects dropdown, choose World Scripts. You'll see entries that begin with br (bear) gf (giraffe) el (elephant) and so on. Select the object, place it and then enable the script editor. At that point you'll be able to see the paths the scripted animals will take. I couldn't find a way to edit or rotate them, but you can move them to where you want.

Give it a shot.  Would love to hear what you find!  Populating nature reserves is a great idea!

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, AmeliaCat said:

Please add cats everywhere. NO dogs..Just cats.. Thanks..

Will do.  I'll also write the mod to add anti claw scratch tape to the armrests of the A320 😉

• Like 2

2 hours ago, VFXSimmer said:

Hi Erich B,

First disclaimer, I havent actually tried this out myself, but it is something I plan to add to some of the sceneries I'm developing.

This is a response I got courtesy of /u/APeX3181 on https://www.reddit.com/r/FS2020Creation/

Give it a shot.  Would love to hear what you find!  Populating nature reserves is a great idea!

Thanks all.  I'll look into this in the week.  A real pity you cant edit the paths they follow - although a giraffe standing on the runway is pretty common.

4 hours ago, RICHUK said:

I remember there was a show (series) on TV on real life bush pilots in Africa doing just that.

My nephew was one of them - he was based in Maun, Botswana.   He's based in Hong Kong now.  I've been talking to him about it which is what has motivated me to want to do this.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ErichB said:

My nephew was one of them - he was based in Maun, Botswana.   He's based in Hong Kong now.  I've been talking to him about it which is what has motivated me to want to do this.

whats it like to have a giraffe as a nephew? all my nephews are cats.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AmeliaCat said:

Please add cats everywhere. NO dogs..Just cats.. Thanks..

Speaking of which, I hope animal models get added because we need lions 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ErichB said:

Speaking of which, I hope animal models get added because we need lions 

and whales and llamas

... and the birds should migrate - with or without coconuts

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

and whales and llamas

... and the birds should migrate - with or without coconuts

Only if they can grip them by the husk

7 minutes ago, VFXSimmer said:

Only if they can grip them by the husk

Indeed, though Asobo would need to get the flight dynamics of a coconut laden swallow accurate first

Just now, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

Indeed, though Asobo would need to get the flight dynamics of a coconut laden swallow accurate first

Indeed, but real simmers will care if they are African or European 😉

25 minutes ago, VFXSimmer said:

Indeed, but real simmers will care if they are African or European 😉

True, European Swallows are relatively straightforward, but  there is not a lot of data on African ones.

http://style.org/unladenswallow/

By comparing the European Swallow with bird species of similar body mass, we can estimate that the swallow beats its wings 18 times a second with an amplitude of 18 cm:

Species Body mass Frequency Amplitude
Zebra Finch 13 g 27 Hz 11 cm
European Swallow 20 g ≈ 18 Hz? ≈ 18 cm?
Downy Woodpecker 27 g 14 Hz 29 cm
Budgerigar 34 g 14 Hz 15 cm

Last month’s article on The Strouhal Number in Cruising Flight showed how simplified flight waveforms that graph amplitude versus wavelength can be useful for visualizing the Strouhal ratio (fA/U), a dimensionless parameter that tends to fall in the range of 0.2–0.4 during efficient cruising flight.

For a European Swallow flying with our estimated wingbeat amplitude of 24 cm, the predicted pattern of cruising flight ranges from a Strouhal number (St) of 0.2  to a less efficient 0.4 .

If the first diagram (St = 0.2) is accurate, then the cruising speed of the European Swallow would be roughly 16 meters per second (15 beats per second * 1.1 meters per beat). If the second diagram (St = 0.4) is accurate, then the cruising speed of the European Swallow would be closer to 8 meters per second (15 beats per second * 0.55 meters per beat).

If we settle on an intermediate Strouhal value of 0.3:

We can estimate the airspeed of the European Swallow to be roughly 11 meters per second (15 beats per second * 0.73 meters per beat).

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick
  • Like 1