Sign in to follow this  
vidha

Soft learning is always on

In the release notes of v. 18 it says "Soft learning is always on and no longer in the UI, same as real learning".

I think this is a step backwards as it makes aircraft show up at remote parking spots far away from terminal. 

Most larger airports have domestic and international terminals/parking spots, and now aircraft who in real life should only appear at the international terminal show up at domestic terminal. This sort of kills the immersion for me.

I understand that at some airports with little or no ground traffic it can be helpful with soft parking, but not at the airports with good ground coverage. If there are some "free" spots at the domestic terminal, suddenly a international flight is parked there the next time i fly into the airport. It's a lot of labor to manually remove these soft spots all the time.

It would really be helpful if you could re-introduce the kill switch for soft learning, if not in the UI, then by parameter, or by a switch in the respective airport file.

Edited by vhaaland

I could solve this if I'd restrict the "real time parking only" feature to real options only (currently real+soft). Are you using that feature? 

What is more important for the immersion: aircraft at the right gate at any hour, or aircraft at the right hour at any gate, or always aircraft at the right gate at the right hour which will only work for a very good populated airport file?

Edited by kiek

Had basically the same thoughts as Vidar, personally i would prefer a solution with "aircraft at the right gate at any hour" leaving soft entries disabled. But this counts only for airports that have different terminals for different airlines. Soft learning would still help smaller airports like on greek islands where they just park them wherever they like.

3 hours ago, kiek said:

I could solve this if I'd restrict the "real time parking only" feature to real options only (currently real+soft). Are you using that feature? 

Yes, I am using the "real time parking only" feature. And I think restricting this function to only real is perpaps a good solution for users like myself.

3 hours ago, kiek said:

What is more important for the immersion: aircraft at the right gate at any hour, or aircraft at the right hour at any gate, or always aircraft at the right gate at the right hour which will only work for a very good populated airport file?

I think the most important for immersion is the aircraft at the right gate if I had to choose between the two options. This is because many airlines use the same gate all the time, also at smaller airports. Take my home airport ENCN, the KLM always is parked at a specific gate, the same for NAX, WIF and SAS. At  larger airports, as ENGM, the domestic terminal does not have KLM, DLH, BAW etc. parked. Also WIF DHC is always parked at the end of the domestic terminal (smaller gates), not the ordinary A320/737 gates, so the soft options kinda ruins this. The WIF often become soft because transponder is not on until gate.

Time is not of the essence, I think 🙂

Edited by vhaaland

On 10/26/2020 at 1:52 PM, vhaaland said:

Yes, I am using the "real time parking only" feature. And I think restricting this function to only real is perpaps a good solution for users like myself.

I think the most important for immersion is the aircraft at the right gate if I had to choose between the two options. This is because many airlines use the same gate all the time, also at smaller airports. Take my home airport ENCN, the KLM always is parked at a specific gate, the same for NAX, WIF and SAS. At  larger airports, as ENGM, the domestic terminal does not have KLM, DLH, BAW etc. parked. Also WIF DHC is always parked at the end of the domestic terminal (smaller gates), not the ordinary A320/737 gates, so the soft options kinda ruins this. The WIF often become soft because transponder is not on until gate.

Time is not of the essence, I think 🙂

I think I have implemented most of what you want in version 19.3, please give it a try. 

On 10/28/2020 at 12:14 PM, kiek said:

I think I have implemented most of what you want in version 19.3, please give it a try. 

Very nice, will test it out as soon as possible 🙂