Sign in to follow this  
birdguy

So true...

This was sent to me by a friend this morning.  But it probably won't see the light of day here.

"They drive with seat belts, stay in lanes, stop at STOP signs, yield to pedestrians, and do a thousand other little things every day as required by law or custom yet wearing a mask against a deadly disease is a bridge too far."

Noel

Edited by birdguy
  • Like 10
  • Upvote 3

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

It seems consistency of logic is sorely lacking in many these days... 👾

• Upvote 2

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I wonder if any members who are bikers in the UK can tell me if they still have to remove their crash helmets when going to pay for their fuel? I was at a local garage the other day. I noticed that as well as all the mask notices on the shop doors they hadn't got rid of the remove helmet notices. I wonder if in the current situation that request still applies? Surely the helmet is, in effect, the same as the face shields I see some people wearing here these days (I'm talking about full-face crash helmets here)?

I went in wearing my S10 respirator and paid for my fuel no problem :biggrin: Then again I didn't drive to the garage wearing the mask and only put it on prior to going in the shop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSPD35OlAdA

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

Yes I take great pleasure in keeping my motorbike helmet on with the visor down when going into petrol stations now.

After years of being told to take it off before going in, the implication being I might wish to rob the place.

• Like 1

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

2 hours ago, birdguy said:

But it probably won't see the light of day here.

It needs to see the light of day everywhere................

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

3 hours ago, birdguy said:

"They drive with seat belts, stay in lanes, stop at STOP signs, yield to pedestrians, and do a thousand other little things every day as required by law or custom yet wearing a mask against a deadly disease is a bridge too far."

There would be problems with those things, too, if an entire alternate-reality media ecosystem decided that it was in the best interest of their political masters for people to be told every day that having to stop at stop signs is TYRANNY -- and, futher, that it would be positively un-American to sacrifice your God-given and Constitutionally-guaranteed right to drive without having to stop, ever, even if the cost is untold loss of innocent life in their community.

Edited by kaosfere
  • Upvote 1

@jon b Cheers for the insight! I don't ride now so I was hoping that this is the case now that masks are de rigeur at the moment. 🍻 One rule for all...

Some years ago when I was feeling particularly belligerent and uncharitable I walked into my local garage after filling the bike up, £20 note in my hand and proceeded to argue with the young lad behind the counter about not wanting to take the Queen's Coin, motorcycling is my religion and this is what I wear etc. You've got me on CCTV actually offering cold hard cash and so on.

Only after he got visibly upset (not angry) and said, "please..it wasn't his fault.. etc." did I relent. The couple of other customers in the shop just stared and said nothing... That one day, that one time, I just decided enough was enough.Sick & tired of bikers being classed as common criminals. I've never done it again after that one episode. I'm a mild mannered guy who doesn't pick fights..apart from the odd bit of arguing on the forums as a lot of us tend to do as we share our opinions.. :cool:

I mean honestly, if I was going to rob the joint by motorcycle, I'd have had an accomplice so i could just run out of the shop and hop on the back of the bike to speed off... Oh and a handgun down the jacket.. Not that the local joint would make enough cash to be such an attractive target in the first place. :dry:

• Upvote 1

Mark Robinson

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

15 hours ago, birdguy said:

This was sent to me by a friend this morning.  But it probably won't see the light of day here.

Noel

Actually Noel... they sometimes fail to drive with seat belts on, sometimes don't stay in lanes, sometimes don't stop for pedestrians, and do numerous other things they aren't supposed to do, including driving with phone clamped to ear. So I suppose its not surprising that in times like this, they all gather together like puss in an infected wound and refuse to wear masks. 🤢

• Like 1

11 hours ago, HighBypass said:

Some years ago when I was feeling particularly belligerent and uncharitable I walked into my local garage after filling the bike up, £20 note in my hand and proceeded to argue with the young lad behind the counter about not wanting to take the Queen's Coin, motorcycling is my religion and this is what I wear etc. You've got me on CCTV actually offering cold hard cash and so on.

Kind of makes sense though. You may have slapped a 20 on the table, but you could of course have immediately stepped outside and flashed your genitals to a super model filling he car up with power juice. 

So I guess it does make sense if you are going to install CCTV that we keep our lovely faces visible for all to see. 

• Upvote 1

I will admit. I have never worn a mask, I have never been tested, I own a hair salon and none of my clients or staff have ever worn a mask either. I also go out to bars and nightclubs and go dancing with strangers, we have large gatherings of up to 31,000 people standing shoulder to shoulder watching live sports with no masks on, This is perfectly legal where I live. This is because I live in Wellington, New Zealand.

Best way to describe where I live, it is like being stuck in 2019 😎

Image of packed Wellington Stadium stuns world

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Matthew Kane

Not sure of the point you are making there, Mathew.

Unless it is to demonstrate how lucky you and your clientele are that the vast majority of Kiwis understood the rules during our lockdowns, and Played the Game. 

In Auckland during Level 4, 3 and 2, masks were pretty much ubiquitous in any close contact situation.
Interestingly, they are quite widely used even at the present Level 1, notably by contact staff in malls and so on.

Also by the elderly.
Which always strikes me as odd, because masking up is meant to protect others from your excretions, rather than shield the vulnerable from infection. 

3 minutes ago, WingZ said:

Not sure of the point you are making there, Mathew.

I did buy $300 worth of masks they are available but our first client coming back from lockdown was one of Jacinda's aids, and she said we didn't need them so they are boxed away, but ready if we do need them. Wellington has not had a case of community transmission since April, so yes the best way I can describe living in Wellington since May has been like being stuck in 2019. My kids go to school everyday like it is still 2019.

I am from Canada and as they are reporting over a thousand new daily cases it confirms I moved to the best place in the world to be. My old business back in Toronto went bankrupt last June and that city will never be the same after this

• Like 2

Matthew Kane

Europe and North America are each having another peak period as cold weather creeps in.  

When the virus made it's first appearance my area only had 25 cases and was holding steady for a couple of months.  I didn't wear a mask then.  But I certainly limit my leaving the house except to buy groceries and appointments now that we have over 1900 cases as of this morning and that number increases about 20 per day.  Whenever I leave the house I wear a mask.

Recently I had to have a heating guy come over to fix a furnace and a locksmith to fix a lock on one of our doors.  Both of them wore masks when they entered the house and requested that I mask up while they were there.  I complied with their request.

Wearing a mask is such a simple thing and I am not macho enough risk the possible consequences if I don't...especially at my age.

Noel

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

23 hours ago, n4gix said:

It seems consistency of logic is sorely lacking in many these days... 👾

Not the least of which are our 'leaders'

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

How long does it take for 'smug' to wear off after buying an EV?

"It’s easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled". Whoever said it wasn't wrong!

8 hours ago, martin-w said:

...and flashed your genitals to a super model filling he car up with power juice....

She would not be so fortunate! :biggrin: I presume you meant "her car" when you typed "he car"? If you meant a male super model, then there'd be even less chance of me doing so!  :blink: Mind you, I'd be flattered if he said "Oh MY!" doing an impression of George Takei's voice! ..then I'd make a swift getaway... LOL! :laugh: 🍻

8 hours ago, martin-w said:

...that we keep our lovely faces visible for all to see. 

Some should say I should keep my face covered up! :dry:

@Matthew Kane Good on you for being so fortunate. I could do with a haircut, but the distance and the refusal of entry (to NZ from the UK) no doubt precludes me :cool:

• Like 1

Mark Robinson