Sign in to follow this  
mtr75

TBM 930 - nothing short of brilliant

I wanted to start a separate thread on this to share my experience with this aircraft. Here is a repeat of something I just posted elsewhere as a response:

I'm a RL pilot, and I fly airplanes in the sim that I fly in real life. I don't really get much out of hopping in a plane that I have no idea how to fly and just "winging it," so to speak. However, I have been interested in the TBM since the sim was released, I just hadn't tried it yet. I just did, flying from Punta Cana to St. Maarten, and aside from a few ATC glitches (118.15 is the center frequency above 18k over San Juan, but it's also the ATIS, and when ATC handed me to San Juan Oceanic on 118.15 I got the ATIS instead), it was nothing short of brilliant. I had an absolute blast.

I had no discernible problems with the G3000, stock and unmoded. Performance was fantastic, the scenery crossing the Caribbean at 25k was just magnificent. The plane flew the RNAV 10 approach wonderfully. With the FMC in the 930, it was super easy to manually change radio frequencies and load the approach, something which I have found virtually impossible with the G1000. Power management with the one power lever is a snap.

I may have just gotten instantly addicted to this airplane.

• Like 23
  • Upvote 1

It really is a great default aircraft. I think most of the time it's my go-to. My last flight I wanted to stretch it's legs and did Vienna (ORBX) to London City (ORBX) and if my memory is correct was somewhere around 675nm. Flew it beautifully at FL300 no problems at all. And I believe it's worth mentioning the TBM is a whole lot better with the Working Title G3000 mod.

• Like 4

Is it done yet? When will it be released? Will it be freeware or payware? How much will it cost? Any updates on the progress? Will it work for Xbox? Can I be a beta tester? How's the performance in VR?

Would argue the Working Title group (WT) and Robert Young's Bonanza has done more for this sim than any of the base stuff. The CJ4 and G1000/G3000 mods are phenomenal in both fluidity and functionality

The base sim has all kinds of inaccuracies and issues with flight model and A/P. Hoping they get addressed soon.

Edited by Flyfaster_MTN002
  • Like 5

SAR Pilot. Flight Sim'ing since the beginning.

I am compelled to put the naysayers view across here.

1. Despite the "improvements" on these aircraft, they will never be able to compete with the default aircraft in P3D or XPlane

2. Much the same applies to default scenery in P3D or XPlane and everybody should easily recognize the benefits displayed by the default sceneries of those 2 platforms.

3. Default ATC is abysmal in MSFS and is far surpassed by the same default ATC in P3D and can only aspire to reach the tragic ... whoops .... magic ATC of XPlane.

4. Nobody appears to recognize that MSFS is not updating or fixing their aircraft, (all default) sceneries, Weather or utilities at anywhere near the same pace of P3D or XPlane, and,

5. 3PDs are still rapidly working on P3D and XPlane whilst nobody is even looking at MSFS because of its dismal default and totally broken aircraft, its horrible and tasteless scenery and its ATC and weather depiction.

It is time to put my beloved MSFS into the hangar permanently, despite what I thinks is a wonderful platform with incredible potential, and most importantly the incredible enjoyment I get from it.

MSFS haters relentless attacks have convinced me.  I am totally prepared to ignore the fact that with sales in excess of 1 million, up to (maybe) 3000 detractors who inevitably be joined by the silent majority who will then go on to become a majority (by a large margin) of detractors. I really feel sorry for those of us who are genuinely enjoying the MSFS experience, but I implore you all to ignore all those emotions and sensations, to ignore the great works of Robert Young and the Working Title team who are obviously wasting their time, despite the fact that I and many others really really appreciate their efforts and the great improvements they bring to this disasterous  platform.

Tongue in cheek, totally baseless (my name is not Donald) but it had to be said guys.

Apologies to the already converted.

Tony

PS Robert and WorkingTitle ... keep up the great work guys. You are all totally appreciated. 

• Like 13

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

3 hours ago, mtr75 said:

I wanted to start a separate thread on this to share my experience with this aircraft. Here is a repeat of something I just posted elsewhere as a response:

I'm a RL pilot, and I fly airplanes in the sim that I fly in real life. I don't really get much out of hopping in a plane that I have no idea how to fly and just "winging it," so to speak. However, I have been interested in the TBM since the sim was released, I just hadn't tried it yet. I just did, flying from Punta Cana to St. Maarten, and aside from a few ATC glitches (118.15 is the center frequency above 18k over San Juan, but it's also the ATIS, and when ATC handed me to San Juan Oceanic on 118.15 I got the ATIS instead), it was nothing short of brilliant. I had an absolute blast.

I had no discernible problems with the G3000, stock and unmoded. Performance was fantastic, the scenery crossing the Caribbean at 25k was just magnificent. The plane flew the RNAV 10 approach wonderfully. With the FMC in the 930, it was super easy to manually change radio frequencies and load the approach, something which I have found virtually impossible with the G1000. Power management with the one power lever is a snap.

I too love this aircraft, one of my favs for sure. Really enjoy flying in and out of small regional airports here in Ontario and my home country of the UK. You should try some of the mods, they are making it even better, especially from the working title group. I also love the Black and Tan interior mod

• Like 2

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

MY only issue with TBM at the moment is the fuel tank selection switch.  I usually start my flights from the runway so its already running.. But about half the time the fuel tank selection is set to manual so its one more unnecessary button i have to turn on and switch to auto.

Sometimes its on and sometimes its off.  I'd assume in most cases I'd have even tanks if I am leaving an airport or somewhere with fuel so I would even out my tanks anyways and have that switched too auto every time,, I dunno what the deciding  factor is in the game that determines if it spawns in manual or auto.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AmeliaCat said:

But about half the time the fuel tank selection is set to manual so its one more unnecessary button i have to turn on and switch to auto.

My poor checklist observation means I also get caught out by these until I get the low fuel tank warning...

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

It’s definitely a fun craft. I recently tried it with the WT G3000 mod and the TBM mod and it was even better. I haven’t ever had a problem with the fuel tank selector. My switch always spawns in off position. It’s just my flow when I get in. Batt/gen on, pump on, start engine, pump auto, tank switch auto, AP/trim on, continue preflight. 

• Like 2

AMD Ryzen 5950X |  Asus Crosshair VIII Hero | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 w/EK waterblock | Full Custom Loop Cooling | GSkill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB DDR4-3600 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | Phanteks Enthoo 719 | Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 1000W | Steelseries M750 TKL | SteelSeries Prime Wireless | Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo | Logitech Pro Flight Pedals | LG 34GN850 | Asus PG279Q | Win 11 Pro

5 hours ago, mtr75 said:

I can agree with you on the TBM having a chunk of  hours on the real thing too . my experience so far similar to yours . Miami down to some of the islands its really fun , today i did FLL with a stop in cuba and than down to puerto rico . lefted the TBM down there ill bring it back tomorrow afternoon . 

after years dealing with new releases i had learned to jump on any aircraft on MSFS learn their missing features if any and FIGURE OUT HOW TO FLIGHT THE THING . 

FS2020 may not be complete but im not nitpicking im flying and having fun .

• Like 2

Image removed as image is no longer available.

4 hours ago, Greazer said:

Has the the Garmin been fixed with the default TBM 930, whereby Activating the approach turns the plane around and flies away from the landing airport?

Greazer.

No, issue is still there. In addition, I now have the pfd freeze up each time I enter the approach phase (there are work arounds for both issues, but they sometimes don't work).

3 hours ago, himmelhorse said:

1. Despite the "improvements" on these aircraft, they will never be able to compete with the default aircraft in P3D or XPlane

Well that's just laughable and pretty much calls into question anything you say after it. 

• Like 5

•  
4 hours ago, Greazer said:

Has the the Garmin been fixed with the default TBM 930, whereby Activating the approach turns the plane around and flies away from the landing airport?

Greazer.

No, issue is still there. In addition, I now have the pfd freeze up each time I enter the approach phase (there are work arounds for both issues, but they sometimes don't work).

WHAT refresh rate do u have your pfd set too Medium is recommended,, Ive never had the pfd freeze up on me,,,

Would be so much easier to fix the bugs in this game if they happened to everyone.

2 minutes ago, eslader said:

Well that's just laughable and pretty much calls into question anything you say after it. 

I think he's being a bit tongue in cheek:)

• Like 3

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

It is by far my favourite aircraft so far - and more recently the Rob Young Bonanza.