Sign in to follow this  
ark

Ground Steering Sensitivity

11 minutes ago, ark said:

You may find it helpful to see my post above on how FSUIPC creates a steering tiller axis.

Al

Thanks for the hint.  Off to tinker I go.  Taxiing the 787 with the pedals is almost a mission impossible.  Sucks!!!

Sincerely,

Dennis D. Müllert

System Specs: Motherboard:  Gygabyte Aorus Z390 Master.  CPU: Intel 9th Gen Core i9 9900kf Eight-Core 3.6Mhz overclocked to 5Mhz.  Memory:  64GB Corsair DDR4 SDRAM 3200MHZ RGB.  GPU: 11GB GeForce RTX 2080Ti FTW3 Hybrid.  Monitor: Viotek 34" curved GNV34DBE.  Power Supply: 1000 Watt Power supply. HD 1: 1TB Samsung 9780 EVO Plus NVMe SSD.  HD 2: 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD

Flight Sim Hardware:  Joystick: Thrustmaster T16000M.  Rudder Pedals: Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Pedals.  Yoke: Honeycomb Alpha.  Throttles: Honeycomb Bravo.

4 hours ago, ark said:

John Dowson pointed out to me (and as ankh21 said above) in FSUIPC under the Axis Aassignments tab you can assign more than one axis to a control. And I now realize that even for aircraft that do not actually have a separate steering tiller, you can still assign your rudder peddles to both rudder and  'steering tiller' axes. You can then go to the FSUIPC Joystick Calibration tab and set a slope value (e.g., +8) for the Tiller Axis to desensitize it separately from the rudder axis which can have a different slope value.

As I understand it, the steering tiller axis is a clever FSUIPC creation that essentially allows you to set different parameters for the 'real' rudder axis based on ground speed. Under the [JoystickCalibration] section of the FSUIPC.ini file there is a parameter called MaxSteerSpeed that you can reset if necessary (it defaults to 60). Below this speed the rudder axis is called the steering tiller axis and responds to the FSUIPC steering tiller parameters, and above this speed the steering tiller has no effect and the FSUIPC rudder control parameters take over. So you may want to lower this value for 'slower' aircraft. If necessary, you can actually set up speed ranges for further defining the transition from tiller steering to rudder control. If interested in this look for the MaxSteerSpeed and RudderBlendLowest parameters in the FSUIPC Advanced User guide.

Al

This is a great solution and works fantastic.

Janet Virtual Airline

MSFS2020 / XPlane
i9-9900K, 1070Ti, 32GB Ram, Honeycomb Alpha

I went from wandering to straight when I replaced my CH rudder pedals with the wonderful VKB pedals. Probably it's a personal thing, different people like different controllers. The CH pedals just wore out after over 10 years use but even when new they couldn't match the control of the VKB (about $260 with express shipping).

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

10 minutes ago, Fielder said:

I went from wandering to straight when I replaced my CH rudder pedals with the wonderful VKB pedals.

How do the brakes work with the VKB pedals?

Al

They don't. There is no brakes with VKB. Although you can sort make a file to simulate braking action but I never tried that. So use a rocker on my throttle for brakes. Surprisingly it works very well. But the VKB pedals have no toe brakes.

Here is how I set up progressive pedal forces with the VKB pedals, simply added 6 #82 rubber bands which are 1/2" wide and 2-1/2" long and last for months. I bought a bag of about 200 rubber #82 bands cheaply at stationary store. The further you push a pedal, the higher the force required to push it. It keeps you from accidentally  giving too much rudder too quickly but you still have all the rudder available if you really deliberately jam one side. gVePVZr.jpg

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.