Sign in to follow this  
mspencer

Horrific performance and CPU bottleneck in v5 HF2

Cross posting this from the P3D forums, because I think I tend to find better support here.

I am running an i7-7700k at stock settings: no overclock here.

I'm running into an issue flying anywhere near the UK. I have had ORBX England installed, and have just uninstalled it, but still, once it's unpaused, I get 100% CPU usage and 2-3 FPS.
When I pause? CPU usage drops through the floor and it goes right to 30 FPS (my limit).

I've set a 255 affinity mask which as far as I know is the right one for this CPU. It does seem to use all the cores.

There are no crazy settings set... high cloud density, medium LOD, texture set to 1024x1024. These are much lower settings than I had in v4 and the performance is... horrible.

Specs:
i7-7700K
32GB DDR3
GTX 2070 Super

Does anyone have any ideas what this could be? I'm at my wit's end here and I've reloaded this flight about 4 times now. The second I get near EGBB, right as I cross the Scottish border, performance totally tanks.

Also for comparison... I was having issues with GPU usage, I have 6.6GB available, and now it's hovering right around 1.8. So it's almost like P3D is rendering like... everything using the CPU.

If you are setting an Affinity Mask, suggest using

[JOBSCHEDULER]
AffinityMask=253

That keeps contention off the second logical core.

There must be a local scenery loading issue in your scenario... Do you get better performance in other parts of the world?

Texture setting of 2048 should be fine BTW...

Here are my settings as a comparison:

Graphics: FXAA=off, AA=4XSSAA. Ani=8x, TexRes=2048, Vsync=off, fps=Unlimited
          LOD=High,TessFac=High,Mesh=5m,TexRes=1m, UseHighResTex,
          Scene Comp=ExtremelyDense, AutoGen=High,Veg=Normal,BLg=Dense,DynamicVeg=off
          Water Detail=Medium, no Bath, no reflections
          SpecEff=Medium
          HDR=On (0.85/0.05/0.97), DynRef=off, LandLights=on
          Shadow qual = High, Shadow Draw Dist = Low, Casting+Rec = both for Internal and External
          Enh Atmospherics=on,  Cloud Res=Medium,  Weather: Clear Skies. 

Bert

I was wondering for weeks what the issue was why i couldn't get over 20 FPS with my radeon vii even when I OC`ed the card to 2100 Mhz boost.

Tried go back with SSAA, reduced LOD, etc .....

Finally I found out by coincidence that turning of the shadows for buildings brought me another 5 - 8 FPS. 

But for sure it was pretty clear because I have very hefty autogen settings. So calculating thousands of shadows was to much.

Currently sitting at ORBX GB True Earth and EGPH with heavy rain in the PMDG 737NGXU and i have 24 - 27 FPS before I had no chance to get over 20 FPS.

Edited by 331BK

sfo_a320.png

C. W. ,Ryzen 9 5950X @H2O , 32 GB RAM DDR4 3600 Mhz CL15 , Corsair MP600 Pro Watercooled 2 TB for P3D, Samsung SSD980 1 TB for Addons and Crucial MMX500,  Red Devil Ultimate 6900 XT

On 10/25/2020 at 9:54 PM, mspencer said:

Does anyone have any ideas what this could be? I'm at my wit's end here and I've reloaded this flight about 4 times now. The second I get near EGBB, right as I cross the Scottish border, performance totally tanks.

Are you saying that performance is fine in other places, but then suddenly drops when you get near that airport?

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

On 10/27/2020 at 4:49 PM, Mace said:

Are you saying that performance is fine in other places, but then suddenly drops when you get near that airport?

Yes, sorry I know this post is old but I gave up lol.

I think I narrowed it down to being the UK2000 EGBB addon. I don't really know why, all the other UK2000 software works perfectly fine in v5, just EGBB drops to 1fps even when flying over at 41000 feet.

Though, I will say I still have similar issues even with the scenery disabled. I've disabled ORBX England as well and I'm still having monster issues over this particular little small patch of land.

Don't have very much installed in V5 over in this area, has anyone experienced something similar?

Edited by mspencer
  • Upvote 1

i had a similar issue with UK 2000 EGBB , caused mayhem had to re install the sim🤔

9900k, RTX3080 12 GB ,maximus hero XI, Arctic Freezer 280 AIO, Phanteks Mesh case, 32GB steel series ram (3000 GHZ) , x3 Samsung Evo's 480 GB for scenery, intel 1660p 2TB nvme for P3D and addons /Scenery, Adata 480GB nvme for OS win11, 2 TB SSHD for everything else, 43" LG 4K TV for the sim(1440P) , second 27" monitor for charts/ YouTube etc. Warthog Stick, TCA ( Airbus) Throttle and Logitech  pedals, Razer keyboard and mouse, oh and a usb fan to cool me down on approach !

I also had a problem with orbyx England/Scotland as well as UK 2000 EGBB, deleted all 3, verified files in ftx central for global base , Europe lc trees , buildings etc and reset library positions and now no problems . Those 3 will not be re installed any time soon !

9900k, RTX3080 12 GB ,maximus hero XI, Arctic Freezer 280 AIO, Phanteks Mesh case, 32GB steel series ram (3000 GHZ) , x3 Samsung Evo's 480 GB for scenery, intel 1660p 2TB nvme for P3D and addons /Scenery, Adata 480GB nvme for OS win11, 2 TB SSHD for everything else, 43" LG 4K TV for the sim(1440P) , second 27" monitor for charts/ YouTube etc. Warthog Stick, TCA ( Airbus) Throttle and Logitech  pedals, Razer keyboard and mouse, oh and a usb fan to cool me down on approach !