Sign in to follow this  
MD83

Poor FPS at major airport

I have only 3 to 6 FPS while taxing at KSFO (San Fran). What needs "turned down" to make an improvement? It is interseting to me that I have add ons, very detailed, airports with FS9, and do not suffer from such low FPS. So, what can I try to make FSX perform better at large airport such as KSFO?Thanks,JimCPU Intel 3.4Video card is 256MB PCI expressMemory is 1 GB

Guest bdg

You need to add that new A380 advertised and then you will be ready to go. Yep, welcome to the club.Bob

>I have only 3 to 6 FPS while taxing at KSFO (San Fran). What>needs "turned down" to make an improvement? It is interseting>to me that I have add ons, very detailed, airports with FS9,>and do not suffer from such low FPS. So, what can I try to>make FSX perform better at large airport such as KSFO?>Thanks,>Jim>CPU Intel 3.4>Video card is 256MB PCI express>Memory is 1 GBYou will need to experiment with the sliders.But AI is the biggest culprit.

If you want, you can do these 3 things:1) turn off all autogen with the slider2) rename default.xml to default.bak3) turn off all AIThen you'll get much better fps at big airports.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2.5 ghz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (94.47), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8, WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Guest FxF3

There about 7 airports you just need to adjust your computer for.Look for tweaks about this. If you do not want to do tweaks just stay away from airposts like Seattle, or any major airport that has 3 or 4 smaller airports close to it.

Guest baksteen33

Agreed, in FSX San Francisco seems to be the densest area. I don't get anything there for having flowers in my hair! :-) Kind regards Jaap

If you turn everything off, why not go the next step and downgrade to FS98. ;-)

Yeah!JohanA LITTLE LESS CONVERSATION, AND A LITTLE MORE ACTION PLEASE

Guest robains

Yeah me too, I've been told I'm some wacko because I run 1920 x 1200 resolution. I dare not tell these same folks about my 30" HD LCD that can do 2560 x 1600 resolution.Upgraded to a 8800GTX 768 MB DDR3 video card and my fps went from 7 fps to 12 fps (min values) -- an improvement and at least flyable. But I have AutoGen turned OFF and you'll need to turn off Blooming also and keep airport traffic and other traffic to a minimum.Not sure exactly what the problem is, but clearly the new DX10 (Vista ready) video cards aren't the solution either along with my 3.9Ghz X6800 CPU.On the plus side FS9 looks incredible with the 8800GTX -- everything maxed out, with add-on scenery and airports and aircraft and it still never drops below 30 - even at Frankfurt add-on. Clearly FSX has got some performance issues beyond "normal" -- hopefully they get it resolved quickly.And before anyone jumps on me about "nerve", I consider 30 fps a good minimum, not 12 fps.Rob.

Guest CyberSimmer

You need to return your copy of FSX! Is the only good tweak I can think of.

Guest Leafhopper

There was a post that had a suggestion worthy of note: Follow the path of least resistance and land in the vicinity of major airports! Really though, I feel your pain! I have to turn off scenery density and autogen to even get near a major airport. The FPS counter says I'm doing great but the stutters and pauses are horrid on my system.ASUS A8N Deluxe SLI (one Gefore 7600GT 256mb), AMD 64 4000+, 2 gig RAM, WD Raptor drive.

Guest robains

That is about what I'm experiencing also, any major city/airports and fps drops considerably. I was able to overclock the 8800GTX and gain 2 fps (whopee, upto 14 fps min now) -- my two big test airports are SFO and Gatwick.Had to turn blooming off which was a shame. But there appears to be issues with blooming anyway, as the runway lights shine thru the cockpit (even with cockpit set to 0% transparency).Of course this is all my imagination and there really are no problems at all with FSX and everyone is happy. ;)