Sign in to follow this  
MD83

Poor FPS at major airport

Guest smarti05

I believe BLOOM is a CPU function which at the least was an extremely bad idea the graphics card wont help that.From my investigations, believe its autogen in the cities that kills the frame rates, in particular the buildings.... doh!! I think they got it wrong again!!Perhaps we could have a compotetion to find something that has been programmed well in FSX, ie something that uses the

>If you turn everything off, why not go the next step and>downgrade to FS98. ;-)Come on now that's no good. I just *knew* someone was going to reply with this type of comment. That's why I almost did not post it. Where in my post did I say that HE *had* to do any of those things? All I was doing, was merely giving him a couple of suggestions. If you want to read into that and say something inane like "why not downgrade to FS98 FSW95 FS51 SubLogic FS II breast chest neck and head" then fine, you can say that silly stuff. What does that do for the discussion? nada. I'm just trying to help the guy out.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2.5 ghz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (94.47), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8, WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

>"1) turn off all autogen with the slider>2) rename default.xml to default.bak>3) turn off all AI">>... and what are you left with?!Well, what do you think you're left with??!! You're left with . That's what. But maybe that wasn't my point.What does it do? It gives a person the ability to pinpoint exactly the ITEM that is killing their frames. Then a person can slowly add things back in to see what the effect is. Do I need to spell it all out??Do I need a disclaimer on every post now?Pretty simple, and when I post trying to help someone here, I now kind of dread it, in this case fearing that I would get these "that's FS1230123-1023!!!" posts, instead of meaningful civil discussion. It just gets ooollllllddd after a while.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2.5 ghz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (94.47), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8, WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Guest robains

Blooming is most likely done on the GPU, not CPU. Blooming often uses HDR (high dynamic range) and is a performed by the GPU shader. But not always, there are many ways to accomplish any given task.Read this if you need more info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_dynamic_range_renderingOr, good discussion on Blooming/HDR:http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/to...topic_id=405591Unfortunately it is difficult to determine exactly what is killing what because they all relate to each other. It would be nice if the Aces dev team would provide their results from their profiling of FSX. This would help us understand how the various options are affecting the limitations of the GPU (and/or CPU).Rob.

Guest smarti05

>Blooming is most likely done on the GPU, not CPU. Blooming>often uses HDR (high dynamic range) and is a performed by the>GPU shader. But not always, there are many ways to accomplish>any given task.>>Read this if you need more info:>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_dynamic_range_rendering>>Or, good discussion on Blooming/HDR:>http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/to...topic_id=405591>>Unfortunately it is difficult to determine exactly what is>killing what because they all relate to each other. It would>be nice if the Aces dev team would provide their results from>their profiling of FSX. This would help us understand how the>various options are affecting the limitations of the GPU>(and/or CPU).>>Rob.>>>>Logically, you are exactly correct wrgt bloom and that would be nice however I am sure i read in a post from an ACES bloke that its done on the cpu, please dont directly dismiss information if you have no proof or other information wrgt FSX.Bloom/HDR is solely a graphics card function when programmed correctly and many more mainstream games apply it this way with no significant hit to framerate.

Guest mikael1984

>Yeah me too, I've been told I'm some wacko because I run 1920>x 1200 resolution. I dare not tell these same folks about my>30" HD LCD that can do 2560 x 1600 resolution.>>Upgraded to a 8800GTX 768 MB DDR3 video card and my fps went>from 7 fps to 12 fps (min values) -- an improvement and at>least flyable. But I have AutoGen turned OFF and you'll need>to turn off Blooming also and keep airport traffic and other>traffic to a minimum.>>Not sure exactly what the problem is, but clearly the new DX10>(Vista ready) video cards aren't the solution either along>with my 3.9Ghz X6800 CPU.>>On the plus side FS9 looks incredible with the 8800GTX -->everything maxed out, with add-on scenery and airports and>aircraft and it still never drops below 30 - even at Frankfurt>add-on. Clearly FSX has got some performance issues beyond>"normal" -- hopefully they get it resolved quickly.>>And before anyone jumps on me about "nerve", I consider 30 fps>a good minimum, not 12 fps.>>Rob.>Hi!Since you have the new 8800GTX, I need to ask you if you did see a big improvement with the new card? What card did you have before?I am using a 7900GTO with Core 2 Duo @ 2.3GHz, 2GB PC675MHz. I'm wondering if FSX is heavy on the CPU or a new GPU will give me better perfomance. I am 75% of max settings and get 1-8fps in heavy airports and 15-25fps in air.Thank you!Mike

Guest robains

It would be highly unusual for the task to be done by the CPU on video cards that support the function in hardware. Like I said, it is possible for "software" only rendering of bloom but that would have a performance penalty and would not use existing GPU functionality.Which "Aces bloke" gave out this information? If the source is the actual coder/developer, then I'm more likely to believe the information, however, if the source is a Project Manager or Marketing member then there might be some "lost in translation" issues.I know when Microsoft's AOE III first released it was implementing "software only" blooming, but a later patch incorporated GPU function and I saw dramatic performance improvements.But your information might be correct, as bloom has some implementation issues in FSX such as runway lights being displayed thru the cockpit as if it where transparent.I see PC Gamer's review of FSX was not exactly stella either 84% and not even an "Editor's Choice" -- Andy Manhood pretty much stated what we all know about FSX performance "released a year too soon".Rob.

>Well, what do you think you're left with??!! You're left with>. That's what. But maybe that>wasn't my point.>>What does it do? It gives a person the ability to pinpoint>exactly the ITEM that is killing their frames. Then a person>can slowly add things back in to see what the effect is. Do I>need to spell it all out??>>Do I need a disclaimer on every post now?No, but you needed to explain a little better :)>Pretty simple, and when I post trying to help someone here, I>now kind of dread it, in this case fearing that I would get>these "that's FS1230123-1023!!!" posts, instead of meaningful>civil discussion. It just gets ooollllllddd after a while.My message was in no way uncivilised