Sign in to follow this  
Rocky

Error in Navigraph database?

Hello developers,

Do you think that having an error in the Navigraph database is possible?
It would be surprising, I know they are serious developers and their automatic database generation process proved to be efficient.

nevertheless, I have a doubt. I was with a friend, an A320 professional pilot, and we were having a look at the charts and the way they are related to the information in the database. As an example, we were looking at Split (LDSP), looking at the STARs and approaches. We were looking at the OKLAX 1Y RNAV STAR on runway 23 followed by the RNAV Visual 23 approach, and this is where I found a possible problem.
Looking at the chart, after the LASUL waypoint (IAF), the approach chart describes a path that goes through NURAT, RORKA, then SP504, SP505, SP506 (in manual) to reach runway 23.

Approach Chart

In the database, when I read the information about this approach, I have the following waypoint sequence: NURAT, RORKA, SP503, SP503, LASUL. If you look at the chart, this corresponds to the missed approach trajectory. Is this an error or did I miss something here?

Did you ask Navigraph?

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!

No, I didn't. I have had "complicated" relations with Navigraph in the past about the FeelThere Airbus, so they claimed they don't want to support it anymore. We had argument at this time. This is why I thought they would never reply to me.

Maybe I should do it using another name 🙂 (even though I don't like to do this...)

It probably also depends on the product. Does it happen with all addons? 

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

I can't tell... I have just tested with the add-on I was using with my friend, that is the Wilco A320 that I developed. I could help him because I perfectly know the format of the database it uses, so I could query the database according to what we saw on the charts (as a professional, my friend has access to the LIDO charts). 

I didn't test any other add-on that uses Navigraph, I don't have any and I am not sure I would be able to explore the database the same way... 

22 minutes ago, Jude Bradley said:

It probably also depends on the product. Does it happen with all addons? 

As far as I remember, PMDG uses text files to describe the SIDs, STARs and approaches. As I don't have the database myself, can anyone share just the small part of the database that is about the RNAV Visual 23 approach at LDSP?

I know these files are copyrighted, which is why I ask just for this specific part that should be 1 or 2 lines of text, hoping it does not violate the copyright, it is just for debugging purpose. I think it would help but If it is a problem, just forget it...

• Like 1

I think I found the explanation, there is no bug in the database but there is one in my Airbus...
As I wrote earlier, what I read in the database I use (SQL database) for RNAV Visual 23 approach is the following list of waypoints: NURAT, RORKA, SP502, SP503, LASUL. But if a look carefully at all the columns, in the Altitude column that is supposed to indicate the altitude constraint, I see an indication saying "MAP".
I first thought it was referring to a map, but no... it means Manual Approach Procedure. It means that when this is indicated, the waypoint is the last waypoint of the approach, which must be flown manually by the pilot to the runway (23 in that case).  Consequently, the rest of the list is the missed approach trajectory with waypoints SP502, SP503 and back to LASUL.
In fact, the waypoint SP504, 505 and 506 are indicated on the chart for help, but they are not part of the approach procedure, this is what induced me in error.
This database is sometimes difficult to decipher and there is no manual for this 🙂

• Like 1

For those it might interest: MAP is not Manual Approach Procedure, it is Missed Approach Point 🙂

Now I understand better, there is no error in the database.

• Upvote 1