Sign in to follow this  
micstatic

ORBX Pacific NW and Northern Rockies

Hey Guys.  With the sale I'm considering these two.  All of my flying is airline flying.  Anybody have these and would you recommend?

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

I have both and recommend both. With both sceneries, you'll have to disable the airport .bgl files if you have any 3rd party airports installed. 

• Like 1

thanks so much

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

Not even close to being worth the price IMO.

ORBX has been a great disappointment and is finished as far as I'm concerned.  Although MSFS has a good ways to go before I consider it a good flight simulator, its scenery blows away anything ORBX has to offer.

The only product I would buy from ORBX would be openLC Asia, since the improvement of such a vast area would justify the cost until I make the switch to MSFS in another year or so.

Just my 2c.

Dave

Simulator: P3Dv5.4

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

20 minutes ago, dave2013 said:

Not even close to being worth the price IMO.

ORBX has been a great disappointment and is finished as far as I'm concerned.  Although MSFS has a good ways to go before I consider it a good flight simulator, its scenery blows away anything ORBX has to offer.

The only product I would buy from ORBX would be openLC Asia, since the improvement of such a vast area would justify the cost until I make the switch to MSFS in another year or so.

Just my 2c.

Dave

there is a sizable sale going on right now.  I have no need to compare this to MSFS since that's easily a year away from being usable for airline operations

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, micstatic said:

there is a sizable sale going on right now.  I have no need to compare this to MSFS since that's easily a year away from being usable for airline operations

Even with the sale, it's just not worth $25 for such a small area.  The scenery isn't that much better than openLC.

Just giving you my opinion.

Dave

• Like 1

Simulator: P3Dv5.4

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

I asked this on the Sale Forum but perhaps not the right place. Does anyone know by chance if KSJC San Jose and Kenai Airport work okay without the respective regions? I would like these airports but I will not be buying anymore regions.

Cheers, Pete

Pete Solov - Lake in the Hills 3CK

and Schaumburg Regional 06C
Proud AOPA Member - PPL 2001
Real World Piper Cherokee Pilot

3 minutes ago, PilotPete99 said:

I asked this on the Sale Forum but perhaps not the right place. Does anyone know by chance if KSJC San Jose and Kenai Airport work okay without the respective regions? I would like these airports but I will not be buying anymore regions.

Cheers, Pete

SJC works fine.  But i use mega scenery earth so not sure for your specific setup

2 hours ago, micstatic said:

Hey Guys.  With the sale I'm considering these two.  All of my flying is airline flying.  Anybody have these and would you recommend?

Not sure that Orbx regions add much for airline flying... but PNW is a real classic and has a number of interesting airports. NRM is mainly for bush flying IMHO..

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

Bert

7 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

Not sure that Orbx regions add much for airline flying... but PNW is a real classic and has a number of interesting airports. NRM is mainly for bush flying IMHO..

I actually have PNW and it is very good, as well as Norway and True Earth Netherlands. Unfortunately Netherlands is deactivated because I can't get FlyTampa EHAM to work properly with it. I have tried every solution and none have worked, which is a shame.

Cheers, Pete

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, micstatic said:

SJC works fine.  But i use mega scenery earth so not sure for your specific setup

I don't use mega scenery either, just the default with Orbx Global Base. Assuming that doesn't cause any issues I will likely pick KSJC up with the sale.

Cheers, Pete

46 minutes ago, micstatic said:

I've read a terrible review about SJC though... What's your take on it?

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

3 minutes ago, Benjamin J said:

I've read a terrible review about SJC though... What's your take on it?

I wouldn't say I love it.  The DL if I recall correctly was also very hard on my system.  So in short it's not bad.  But I wouldn't call it a must have by any means. 

• Like 1

I personally think that the ORBX regions are a great deal with this sale price. Whether you are flying down low or in tubes high above, they come with their own mesh and much more detailed landclass and vector data.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

26 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

Yes NRM was the other one I was considering.  But that would probably be a waste for me because the only airports I fly in much there would be the ones I have 3rd party addons for.  Kelowna and Edmonton.