Sign in to follow this  
micstatic

ORBX Pacific NW and Northern Rockies

I find that the ORBX regions haven’t aged well at all. 

PNW is from 2011 I think and seriously showing its age. I don’t think they’re worth the money given the performance penalty and the fact that they’re not much better than OpenLC textures (if at all). 

1 hour ago, dave2013 said:

Not even close to being worth the price IMO.

ORBX has been a great disappointment and is finished as far as I'm concerned.  Although MSFS has a good ways to go before I consider it a good flight simulator, its scenery blows away anything ORBX has to offer.

The only product I would buy from ORBX would be openLC Asia, since the improvement of such a vast area would justify the cost until I make the switch to MSFS in another year or so.

Just my 2c.

Dave

openLC Asia? I thought they cancelled that project, stopping with openLC Africa.

John Howell

Prepar3D V5, Windows 10 Pro, I7-9700K @ 4.6Ghz, EVGA GTX1080, 32GB Corsair Dominator 3200GHz, SanDisk Ultimate Pro 480GB SSD (OS), 2x Samsung 1TB 970 EVO M.2 (P3D), Corsair H80i V2 AIO Cooler, Fulcrum One Yoke, Samsung 34" 3440x1440 curved monitor, Honeycomb Bravo throttle quadrant, Thrustmaster TPR rudder pedals, Thrustmaster T1600M stick 

13 minutes ago, micstatic said:

I wouldn't say I love it.  The DL if I recall correctly was also very hard on my system.  So in short it's not bad.  But I wouldn't call it a must have by any means. 

Right, I've read that DL was poorly done, in terms of performance and coverage. Perhaps I'll pick it up... Would you say it's better than IS's...? (That one is ancient by today's standards, but given the lukewarm reception of OrbX's SJC, just curious)

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

2 minutes ago, Benjamin J said:

Right, I've read that DL was poorly done, in terms of performance and coverage. Perhaps I'll pick it up... Would you say it's better than IS's...? (That one is ancient by today's standards, but given the lukewarm reception of OrbX's SJC, just curious)

can't help you there as I never owned the IS one.  sorry man

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

16 minutes ago, micstatic said:

But that would probably be a waste for me because the only airports I fly in much there would be the ones I have 3rd party addons for.  Kelowna and Edmonton. 

You aren't buying FTX regions for the airports, as I mentioned above, its for the mesh, customized landclass and vector etc, the whole package. The airports in FTX regions while better than default are essentially just mildy fixed up with ADE. Your addon airports for Kelowna and Edmonton just make the areas even better.

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

1 minute ago, Dave_YVR said:

You aren't buying FTX regions for the airports, as I mentioned above, its for the mesh, customized landclass and vector etc, the whole package. The airports in FTX regions while better than default are essentially just mildy fixed up with ADE. Your addon airports for Kelowna and Edmonton just make the areas even better.

yes I know.  My point was the only time I fly up there is in/out those two.  

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

Exactly, Edmonton needs all the help it can get so the FTX NRM treatment is a must have 😁. The Okanogan Valley around Kelowna is gorgeous and it too benefits greatly from NRM over default.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

I am still disappointed that Orbx hasn't, and may never, update MBS International for P3dV5. I am not a programmer, but I don't understand why this is the case.

Cheers, Pete

• Upvote 1

Pete Solov - Lake in the Hills 3CK

and Schaumburg Regional 06C
Proud AOPA Member - PPL 2001
Real World Piper Cherokee Pilot

9 minutes ago, PilotPete99 said:

I am still disappointed that Orbx hasn't, and may never, update MBS International for P3dV5. I am not a programmer, but I don't understand why this is the case.

Cheers, Pete

I ended up manually installing mine from V4.  Not ideal, but mostly in tact.  Also added the inibuilds compatibility patch

Edited by micstatic
  • Like 1

Just now, micstatic said:

I ended up manually installing mine from V4.  Not ideal, but mostly in tact.  Also added the inibuilds compatibility patch

I will have to try that! I didn't know that works. i assume it won't show up in Orbx Central, but that is fine by me.

Cheers, Pete

Just now, PilotPete99 said:

I will have to try that! I didn't know that works. i assume it won't show up in Orbx Central, but that is fine by me.

Cheers, Pete

correct.  dynamic lighting doesn't work on pbr aircraft either. 

1 minute ago, micstatic said:

correct.  dynamic lighting doesn't work on pbr aircraft either. 

I can live with that. It will be nice to use the airport for some short flights to O'Hare.

Cheers, Pete

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Howellerman said:

openLC Asia? I thought they cancelled that project, stopping with openLC Africa.

Although I don't think ORBX ever officially admitted that openLC development is finished, I think for all intents and purposes that it was cancelled.

I *would* buy openLC Asia if they made it in the next few months. 

Whenever someone asks ORBX staff about openLC Asia in their forum, I can only describe their behavior as bizarre in that they refuse to reply.

Dave

Simulator: P3Dv5.4

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

I have both of them and they are absolutely great. Highly recommend.

• Like 2

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+ 

I assume ORBX openLC Asia will be released on the same day as their Côte d’Azur city scenery for Nice.

Edited by flycln