Sign in to follow this  
DaveH

Community Folder and New Liveries

I have added .zip files for aircraft liveries and others to my Community file (in the default folder - ...AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft...\LocalCache\Packages\Community) but nothing appears in my Airplane Liveries. 

What is wrong ?  Anything I can do ?

Dave Hinson

What is the folder structure under Community?   If you've done it right, every top level directory under Community will have a 'manitest.json' and 'layout.json' in it -- if you don't see those you need to move things around.

You need to unzip it first, and then drag the [scenery-name] or [aircraft name] directory to Community.

It is helpful if you understand the file system that MSFS 2020 uses.

For example aircraft have a main directory with two Json files, and then a SimObjects directory, followed by an Airplanes directory and so on.

Scenery generally has a couple Json files in the root, and ContentInfo and scenery subdirectories, and so on.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the replies.  I knew none of this.  I wish there were a manual of some sort explaining these things, rather that having to bother you guys when I have a question.

I have manifest.json and layout.json in my LocalCache\Packages above my Community folder. Funny, however, when I look in this folder I don't see these .json files (I had to do a search for .json files to see them).  Crazy !

Thanks again.

Dave

7 minutes ago, DaveH said:

I have manifest.json and layout.json in my LocalCache\Packages above my Community folder.

It sounds like you may have them installed in the wrong directory.

It should look something like:

- Packages - Official  - OneStore
           |
           - Community - Mod1 - layout.json
                       |      |
                       |      - mainifest.json
                       |                        
                       - Mod2 - layout.json
                              |
                              - manifest.json

and so on

I assume Mod1 and Mod2 are folders (aircraft, scenery) added to the Community folder ?

Dave

1 hour ago, DaveH said:

I assume Mod1 and Mod2 are folders (aircraft, scenery) added to the Community folder ?

Dave

Yes. exactly.  Bottom line, whatever folders you put in your Community folder should have the layout.json, manifest.json files, plus a bunch of other files (including language files that look like de-DE.locPac, en-US,locPac, etc) and other folders directly within them,  If you don't see that, you've probably copied the wrong folder (usually one folder level too high) into your community folder.

In the above example., the Mod1 and Mod2 folders can also be renamed as you wish, just avoid spaces.  I use a standard to rename them by type, for example Secenery-Mod1, Aircraft-Mod2, etc.

Edited by Stoopy

"That's what" - She

For a good time, download my repaints for the RealAir Scout/Citabria/Decathlon in the AvSim library by clicking here!

On 10/26/2020 at 4:02 PM, DaveH said:

I have added .zip files for aircraft liveries and others to my Community file (in the default folder - ...AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft...\LocalCache\Packages\Community) but nothing appears in my Airplane Liveries. 

What is wrong ?  Anything I can do ?

Dave Hinson

I suggest you use this "Mod" instead, it simplifies to install add-ons as well as to uninstall them before a new path very much.

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/586454-another-tool-to-organize-your-msfs-addons-easily/

Edited by Ixoye

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |