Sign in to follow this  
Benjamin J

OrbX TE Washington

Hello all,

With OrbX's current sale TE Washington has come on sale as well. I have their NorCal and Oregon, but honestly haven't even installed them yet due to disk space limitation initially, and now my waiting for P3Dv5.1. I was thinking of picking up TE Washington anyway though, but was wondering what people's thoughts are? I already have DD City+Airports and always greatly enjoyed that product. And arguably the Seattle metro area is the more important part of this scenery for me as I have no intention of flying low-and-slow, but I do like looking down on the 'real' world as I fly, hence my interest in photoscenery products. Normally I would have gone with MSE+Nuvecta, but given the supposed upgrades of TE sceneries for metro areas, I was wondering how good of a job TE Washington does in that area. I'm wanting to run this in P3Dv5, so that I'm not too concerned about FPS, rather about VRAM footprint.

Any opinions?

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

This is probably the worst TE region that Orbx has produced.. I would pass.

Bert

I bought it when it was on sale about a month ago. Its quality is, as you might ascertain, subjective, but to your inquiry about VRAM, I found it didn't raise my usage to more than 3.7-4.0 gigs. As for Frame rates, this is tricky, because the scenery loads everything in the area from which you takeoff, but for example, if I fly from CYYJ to KSEA, there are some pretty massive stutters as the rest of the scenery loads closer to Seattle. I don't know if there is a solution, but it seems to be endemic to TE only, all other sceneries load fine.

Seems like opinions are all over the place for this one... Given the price, I decided to just go ahead and get it. I'll install it, see what it's like, and if I don't like it I'll simply uninstall it again and replace it with DD's Seattle City. Thanks for the opinions!

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case