Sign in to follow this  
Biology

Is Envshade and Envtex worth it in P3D v5 with trueSKY?

Hi,

The P3D convert & newbie is back again.

I have around 25 € to spend on simMarket stuff (long story), and I've noticed that both Envshade and Envtex are in bestsellers. It looks like both of them are compatible with P3D v5, including trueSKY, however I believe trueSKY overrides some shaders, so how much difference does both Envshade and Envtext make in P3D v5 with trueSKY enabled? Is it worth getting?

If not, what else do you recommend? All I wish is to make P3D V5 look nearly as good as @Rob_Ainscough's does, just look at that video:

I guess this pretty much shows what P3D V5 is capable of, but for some reason I am getting nowhere near it. Water looks blurry, bloom is too much, antialiasing doesn't seem to help much to eliminate shimmering, and more. What do you recommend? Here are my settings, if it helps:

RPoUrL.jpg

KWWzXv.jpg

tKTsgj.jpg

Thanks in advance.

PC specs: i5-12400F, RTX 3070 Ti and 32 GB of RAM.

Simulators I'm using: X-Plane 12, Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) and FlightGear.

21 minutes ago, BiologicalNanobot said:

I've noticed that both Envshade and Envtex are in bestsellers.

On a side note, do not pay attention to the bestsellers list. It depends on what you are currently browsing.
Not discrediting Envshad or Envtex. I own them myself. Just saying in case it was a selling point for you.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Rafal said:

On a side note, do not pay attention to the bestsellers list. It depends on what you are currently browsing.
Not discrediting Envshad or Envtex. I own them myself. Just saying in case it was a selling point for you.

Thank you. I had chosen "Prepar3D V5 Textures" category to see bestselling environment/visual add-ons, and these two were on the top, but maybe it's better to consider other add-ons before deciding.

Edited by BiologicalNanobot

PC specs: i5-12400F, RTX 3070 Ti and 32 GB of RAM.

Simulators I'm using: X-Plane 12, Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) and FlightGear.

2 hours ago, BiologicalNanobot said:

so how much difference does both Envshade and Envtext make in P3D v5 with trueSKY enabled?

They will only work with EA (TrueSky) disabled for the most part.  I don't use much from their EnvTex program but do use Envshade which works very well with the standard settings (EA disabled). I have kept EA disabled due to some of the Beta issues with it. I would probably wait until 5.1 drops and see what the status of Truesky is at that point.  If they have vastly improved it you won't have much need for it.  If it is still buggy I would say give at least EnvShade a try.  I use ASCA for cloud textures.

• Like 1

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11

Here I am using both and it helped me creating a more realistic looking environment than with the default V5.

I also use several extra tweaks I made myself to finetune extra.

It is correct that when using EA that overrides a lot of shaders.

• Like 1

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

1 hour ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

What's most likely capping out your GPU/CPU are these settings your used (6700K and 1070):

4XSSAA ... I'd never use that on a 1070 GPU, in the video I was using 4XMSAA. 

Dynamic Reflections at "High" is probably too much for that GPU also, try Low or Medium.

You have a lot of shadow options enabled for that GPU, turn off SimObjects, Buildings, Vegetation

Your target TFR is too high for that CPU/GPU combination with your settings, try 30 instead of 45

Cheers, Rob.

Why 4xMSAA? How is it compared to 8xMSAA?

Shom

[Win 10 Pro, i7-9700K, MSI 3080Ti, 4K screen, Crucial 2666 16GB, 2 500GB Samsung EVOs 850/860]

[MSFS 2020 running with Fenix A320, PMDG 737, FSS E-175, Aerosoft CRJ]

[P3D v5.3 HF2 running with ifly 737 Max 8, FSLabs A319/320/321, Feelthere E170/175/190/195 v3, PMDG 737 NGXu ,TFDI 717, Aerosoft CRJ Pro, Majestic Dash 8, CS 757 iii, Feelthere ERJ-145, Fly The Maddog X, QW 787, PMDG 777]