Sign in to follow this  
rpowers

What is this "Steam" version?

I am old guy been fusing forever and want to upgrade to 2020.Cannot find explanation of Steam anywhere.Do I want normal but premier or Steam version? Sorry if this is silly question but have not been following forums for awhile.Thank you,Ron

Bring back Chief Illiniwek!University of Illinois.

Steam is basically just a platform for games. You can buy MSFS using a steam account and use it to launch all your games and sort them in a library.

Every Steam user has a profile and you can communicate with each other.

Just check it out:

https://store.steampowered.com

I am using it for years now and its a great way of having everything sorted.

Best regards

Intel i9-13900K | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Master | RTX4090 | 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-6000 | Be quiet! Pure Loop 2 FX AiO | Win 11

Thank you for quick response and info.Ron

There are three ways to buy the game.

1) pay $1 a month for a game pass. Good way to try it out but do not buy any addons as they may not transfer to a purchased version if you decide to do that later. in particular do NOT buy the deluxe upgrade on a game pass install.

2) buy it from the Microsoft store using your Microsoft account

3) create an account for the steam store and buy the game on steam

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick
  • Upvote 1

I just went to website.They only offer basic version not Premier?

5 minutes ago, rpowers said:

I just went to website.They only offer basic version not Premier?

Where you logged in ?   You may not get  the bundle offers until logged into steam.

The premier and delux versions are just the basic game with two separate addons but, at least on the MS store, you can get them cheaper as a bundle on first purchase. i would expect the steam version to be the same.

You can always upgrade later but it costs more that way.

So with game pass you do not install it just use it online??.probably good way to see if my computer can run it.My Track ir work with game pass?Sounds like a good deal and idea.

4 minutes ago, rpowers said:

So with game pass you do not install it just use it online??.probably good way to see if my computer can run it.My Track ir work with game pass?Sounds like a good deal and idea.

Absoutely.

Just do NOT buy any upgrades from the store. In particular do NOT buy the delux or premier versions they are not transferrable.

Stick with the basic version that comes with game pass and free downloads.

Then if you like the game enough to want addons or payware stop the pass and buy a steam or ms version and upgrade that.

Got it from Microsoft store no issues, but each to their own, I  use steam for all my other games.

Get game pass see if you like it and if you can run it, using microsft store. You still have to install the game but only get basic with game pass, I bought the pro deluxe its a waste of money IMO but i only wanted it for the 787 which is mediocre at best.

That is why i think it is best you get Microsoft store game pass try it for $1 for the month if you like it you can just buy it and cancel game pass

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AndyCYXU said:

Got it from Microsoft store no issues, but each to their own, I  use steam for all my other games.

Get game pass see if you like it and if you can run it, using microsft store. You still have to install the game but only get basic with game pass, I bought the pro deluxe its a waste of money IMO but i only wanted it for the 787 which is mediocre at best.

That is why i think it is best you get Microsoft store game pass try it for $1 for the month if you like it you can just buy it and cancel game pass

No problems wait till you have to install it again 

Rich Sennett

5 minutes ago, AndyCYXU said:

I go the MS version because I have a long term dislike of Valve and their corporate policies and it is no helped by the obnoxious nature of a lot of steam users 😄

HOWEVER that said, the Steam version seems to have a lot less issues for users, particularly with file management. Steam is probably the better option if you do not go game pass.

4 minutes ago, Richard Sennett said:

No problems wait till you have to install it again 

I have it since release, i actually have reinstalled it twice, without any problems to install it in different directory, and recently i did yet another one but this one was for another reason and again had no issues so kinda done it 3 times so far. YMMV i do not care for steam or microsoft I couldn't care less i just give opinion from my experience

Edited by AndyCYXU

Now I really confused.The game pass is at Microsoft store not Steam store?So I install it for free and pay 1$/month to use it?Sorry I so slow on this but it all new to me.Have always bought program and bought ton of add ons.Not really interested in lessons at this point.New 2020 version looks like all I might need at this point in my life.Thanks for help.I guess I need to Google Microsoft Game Pass?

11 minutes ago, AndyCYXU said:

I have it since release, i actually have reinstalled it twice, without any problems to install it in different directory, and recently i did yet another one but this one was for another reason and again had no issues so kinda done it 3 times so far. YMMV i do not care for steam or microsoft I couldn't care less i just give opinion from my experience

You had much better luck than I - glad you made out ok

Rich Sennett