Sign in to follow this  
109Sqn

Switch from Game Pass to full version - best procedure?

Since my Gaming Services app in in an install loop, and my free Game Pass subscription ends tomorrow, I will have to try a Windows Reset before installing the Premium Deluxe version for which I have bought a code from Amazon (i.e. I have not bought an upgrade through the Game Pass version). I've been on Windows version 1909 without problems until now but I will try upgrading to version 2004 before the reset, just in case that solves my issues (which include a number of previous system updates failing to re-install after I tried a System Restore).

So, what is the best procedure?

1) What should I back up?

So far: Community Folder, Flight Plans. Anything else?

2) What will happen to my progress/game save?

MSFS is linked to the user's MS account, but will a fresh install link to my current installation's profile/game save or only start a new profile, losing my 198hrs logged time and achievements?

3) What should be my workflow?

Obviously, backing up what I can from #1 above before anything else. Then probably resetting Windows and hopefully finding I can still access current MSFS installation again (Perhaps having to re-install it, depending on what the Windows reset does to it).

But what then? Do I completely uninstall the Game Pass game, and does it prompt me to keep my saved progress? And will I then be able to link my new install to that save?

My main concern is retaining my progress, I don't think it will be too hard to sort out my settings as I haven't made dramatic alterations since installation.

Best advice from anyone who has taken that route from Game Pass version to full (non-Game Pass) version would be appreciated. No 'best guesses' please.🙂

Thank you.

(Hopefully I can turn this into a useful entry for Tips and Tricks if I get a successful transition between installations).

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)

For my part i just bought the Premium Deluxe in the store, didn’t need to backup anything, progress(logbook) was still there. It just downloaded the premium content and that’s it. It’s basically just « unlock » the game...

When going from Gamepass to a bought version on the windows store, you don't need to uninstall the old version, it will just install the premium deluxe stuff on top of it.

The Game pass version is literally the standard edition sim with no differences, same install folder and everything. It's not a different version of the sim.

The Premium Deluxe content is just installed on top of the base sim.

Edited by Tuskin38

3 minutes ago, Tuskin38 said:

Going from Gamepass to a bought version on the windows store, you don't need to uninstall the old version, it will just install the premium deluxe stuff on top of it.

The Game pass version is literally the base game with no differences, same install folder and everything.

And cancelling Game Pass will leave me with a fully usable Premium Deluxe version? 

I'm aware of your final point, but also aware of people who made the mistake of upgrading within the sim whilst using Game Pass and not having a working sim after cancelling Game Pass (which is why I bought the standalone Pr, Del. code)

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)

2 minutes ago, 109Sqn said:

And cancelling Game Pass will leave me with a fully usable Premium Deluxe version? 

Yes, as long as it's the full version not the upgrade (which you said it wasn't, so you're good)

Edited by Tuskin38

6 minutes ago, Tuskin38 said:

Yes, as long as it's the full version not the upgrade (which you said it wasn't, so you're good)

Ok, that's one plus vote. Sorry for my pessimism, but I really don't want to have paid for a dud upgrade! Did you take this path (Game Pass to full version) yourself?

Progress retained from the Game Pass install?

Edited by 109Sqn

59 minutes ago, 109Sqn said:

Ok, that's one plus vote. Sorry for my pessimism, but I really don't want to have paid for a dud upgrade! Did you take this path (Game Pass to full version) yourself?

Progress retained from the Game Pass install?

My father did, and yes all progress is retained.

55 minutes ago, Tuskin38 said:

My father did, and yes all progress is retained.

Good to know, thanks. Just to be really clear (yes, I'm being intentionally paranoid!), was it :

Cancel Game Pass>Install Full MSFS,

Install Full MSFS>Cancel Game Pass

or some other process? In fact, if the full MSFS overwrites the Game Pass version, I could keep Game Pass (I still have the option of 1 month for £1 it seems), yes?

(Update: I have now updated Windows 10 to version 2004 and it appears to have re-installed all the missing drivers and other failed updates, so that's a plus. My Bluetooth is working again, for example. And MSFS....?🕧🕐🕑🕥

It's working again!!!🤗     Map and Activities showing "New" again, but that's not a problem.)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 109Sqn said:

Good to know, thanks. Just to be really clear (yes, I'm being intentionally paranoid!), was it :

Cancel Game Pass>Install Full MSFS,

Install Full MSFS>Cancel Game Pass

or some other process? In fact, if the full MSFS overwrites the Game Pass version, I could keep Game Pass (I still have the option of 1 month for £1 it seems), yes?

(Update: I have now updated Windows 10 to version 2004 and it appears to have re-installed all the missing drivers and other failed updates, so that's a plus. My Bluetooth is working again, for example. And MSFS....?🕧🕐🕑🕥

It's working again!!!🤗     Map and Activities showing "New" again, but that's not a problem.)

I’ll ask him in the morning which order he went. But I do know he didn’t have to reinstall.

Edited by Tuskin38

Just now, Tuskin38 said:

I’ll ask him in the morning. But I do know he didn’t have to reinstall.

Thanks, much appreciated. 👍I've managed a few flights but also had several CTDs tonight for some reason I have yet to identify, so I'm hoping the full install may just tweak things in my favour.

I think the issue people have had is when you upgrade the game pass by buying just the premium or delux addon in the market place and then later on buy the stand alone standard version. 

Which you are not doing.

11 minutes ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

I think the issue people have had is when you upgrade the game pass by buying just the premium or delux addon in the market place and then later on buy the stand alone standard version. 

Which you are not doing.

Absolutely. Really, my main concern is not losing my progress to this point. Once I have confirmation of how Tuskin38's father made the switch, I'll be more confident in what to do. Pretty crazy that there's so much uncertainty, and that's mostly been down to the mess made by the whole 'within the sim upgrade' fiasco. Without that (and if the save files were saved locally rather than on remote servers), I'd have just backed those up, deleted the Game Pass install and re-instated the save files after installing the full sim.

1 minute ago, 109Sqn said:

Absolutely. Really, my main concern is not losing my progress to this point. Once I have confirmation of how Tuskin38's father made the switch, I'll be more confident in what to do. Pretty crazy that there's so much uncertainty, and that's mostly been down to the mess made by the whole 'within the sim upgrade' fiasco. Without that (and if the save files were saved locally rather than on remote servers), I'd have just backed those up, deleted the Game Pass install and re-instated the save files after installing the full sim.

The delux upgrade issues seems to be because it IS an upgrade not a standalone product and thus the licensing for it attaches permanently to the digital licence for the main game you were using when you purchased it. Hence it is not transferrable.

I assume any other addons purchased while on game pass just attach to your Microsoft account and should be fine.

No idea about progress and so forth but I have not heard any complaints about it not carrying over to a different install.

• Like 1

On 10/28/2020 at 6:08 AM, 109Sqn said:

How did your upgrade go? Hopefully you had no issues.

I'm however still a bit confused. I have also been playing the game up to now with a Game Pass and I love it and want to upgrade to the Premium Deluxe. If I look in Sim in the marketplace it indicates that I can upgrade but when I read further in the details it says that the upgrade excludes the base sim which must be paid for and thus purchased separately? 

If I look in the Microsoft Store it indicates rightly that I can play MSFS given that I have a Game Pass and also that I can upgrade by buying the Premium or Premium Deluxe versions. No mention in the Store of having to buy the base sim? The prices indicated in the marketplace and the Microsoft Store also differs so not sure what to do.

Any advice will be appreciated.

1 minute ago, Riaan77077 said:

How did your upgrade go? Hopefully you had no issues.

I'm however still a bit confused. I have also been playing the game up to now with a Game Pass and I love it and want to upgrade to the Premium Deluxe. If I look in Sim in the marketplace it indicates that I can upgrade but when I read further in the details it says that the upgrade excludes the base sim which must be paid for and thus purchased separately? 

If I look in the Microsoft Store it indicates rightly that I can play MSFS given that I have a Game Pass and also that I can upgrade by buying the Premium or Premium Deluxe versions. No mention in the Store of having to buy the base sim? The prices indicated in the marketplace and the Microsoft Store also differs so not sure what to do.

Any advice will be appreciated.

The game pass provides the base sim while ever it is subbed.

The way I understand it you CAN buy the upgrade on game pass but it then attaches itself to the game pass. You can only use it with the game pass. To repeat - the game pass is providing the base sim for you so long as you keep it subbed.

If later on you unsub from game pass you no longer have the base sim that your Premium version is attached to until you sub again SO THE WHOLE GANE STOPS WORKING no game pass no sim. Your deluxe addon is an upgrade to the game pass so cannot work without the game pass being subbed.

You can at this point go out and just buy the base sim instead of resubbing game pass BUT it will not have any premium deluxe addons you purchased as they belong to the game pass. You will need to buy a second set of addons to upgrade the standalone version.

TL&DNR version -- you should ONLY EVER upgrade to premium while on game pass if you intend to keep subbing the game because if you unsub you lose the upgrades they are not transferable to a standalone version.

• Like 1