Sign in to follow this  
rpowers

My computer good enough to run FS 2020?

Sorry if this wrong place to post this move it if necessary.We built this unit a few yrs ago.Will it run FS?I do not know what specs mean.Thank you,Ron Intel core i7-4770k 3.5 ghz,64 bit 8gb ram Nvidea GeForce GTX 770.

Bring back Chief Illiniwek!University of Illinois.

8 minutes ago, rpowers said:

Sorry if this wrong place to post this move it if necessary.We built this unit a few yrs ago.Will it run FS?I do not know what specs mean.Thank you,Ron Intel core i7-4770k 3.5 ghz,64 bit 8gb ram Nvidea GeForce GTX 770.

Unfortunately i think thats a little bit too weak for fs202p, even on low settings. Sorry 😕

6 minutes ago, leprechaunlive said:

Unfortunately i think thats a little bit too weak for fs202p, even on low settings. Sorry 😕

I agree,, cpu might be ok but 16gb of ram min for a smoothish experiences and your GPU is definitely not going to work. I think that card is like 13 or so years old? I had a 780 gtx ways back when, and ir struggled with FSX.. maybe i had a 750gtx i cant rmemenber but whatever card it needs alot of vram .

Edited by AmeliaCat

1 minute ago, AmeliaCat said:

I agree,, cpu might be ok but 16gb of ram min for a smoothish experiences and your GPU is definitely not going to work. I think that card is like 13 or so years old? I had a 780 gtx ways back when, and ir struggled with FSX.. 

Ive got 8gb of ram and it works surprisingly well (1080p and 30fps locked). But of course, more wouldnt harm. But as you said, my biggest issue here is defo the GPU. Ive a 1050, and it does the job on medium settings, but just about. Wich is why i say anything lower than a 1050Ti, is a no no. 

There's a hardware forum here at Avsim where you can get answers. 

Basically unless you want to run everything on high/ultra on a 1440p or 4K monitor you are probably good to go. Medium on a 1080p should be useable. Though your specs are definitely borderline so it may be a case of try it and see. No guarantees.

Basically you are likely good for low/medium at 1080p ( though maybe not medium with AI traffic off in really busy big city airports) You might even manage a temporary sneak up to high if your in a GA plane in a scenic area with little buildings or traffic though that would be a "try it and see" as you only have 2Gb of VRAM your fps may be really really low. You are definitely NOT going to be flying around NYC set to high or ultra.

- GRAPHICS CARD IS MINIMUM SPECS: Your 770 card is older but actually faster than a 1050ti - it meets minimum specs BUT only has 2GB ram , this is your weak point

- 8GB RAM IS MINIMUM SPECS: 8Gb of ram meets minimum specs and is fine for medium settings at 1080p (though ram is cheap these days compared to a few years back and more is better)

- CPU IS  INTERMEDIATE SPECS  - the 4770K is fine, it only has 4 cores but hyper threads and runs at a respectable clock speed (it actually performs similar to the 8400 specified in intermediate) good for medium to high at 1080p

TLDR, your weak point is the 2GB VRAM (which is the absolute minimum that will work at all)  but you should get away with it at lower settings.

- If your going to upgrade this current PC,  get a better graphics card first, followed by more ram

- If you are thinking of a completely new one WAIT till the dust settles on the new Nvidia 30xx range and AMD Big navi release, the market is insane at present and will be for a few months, by Q1 next years things should settle somewhat.  Also ignore the AMD and Nvidia fan boys just get the graphics card that suits you best on your particular budget regardless of brand.

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Hey thanks.Time flies the older I get.So I gett a new compter.Thank you

6 minutes ago, rpowers said:

Hey thanks.Time flies the older I get.So I gett a new compter.Thank you

best bet, though as i said in the edit above the market is a bit insane at present with all these new CPU and graphics releases out of stock and scalpers everywhere buying stuff up and reselling at double the price.

if you can get by with the current rig (maybe with a  graphics upgrade) to Q1 2021 you are better off

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

if you can get buy with the current rig to Q! 2021 you are better off.

by NOT BUY

Got it Thank you.My business same waiting on stuff all the time.Buy sweet corn.Dual use!🤣😃

I have enjoyed FS since I bought my Tandy 1000 (not sure but from Radio Shack)and mr threw in FS PRogram.Long way back.Got really bored with FSX even with all add-ons .I have most of them.Now if I want FS 2020 need new computer and A high speed internet which I do not have now because I will only need it for Fs.Use phone and tablet for basic internet which all I need.Benefit of getting old.But I enjoy it so much going to spend my wife`s money on it.She spends mine on golf clubs.🤣😂Thanks for your support.Love this stuff.Ron

As Glen says. Releases are happening this week. As a matter of fact the RTX 3070 review embargo lifted today in anticipation of release. The new Amd graphics cards are also being announced this week as well.

Keep the money in the pocket and read some reviews for now. Then meticulously build your system to get the best bang for the buck probably in January 2021 when the christmas hangover is over.

Oh and yeah the hardware is worthless if you don't have decent internet to feed the sim so make sure you're covered there as well.

Edited by Maxis
  • Like 1

AMD Ryzen 5900X / Asus Strix B550 F Gaming Wifi / Powercolor AMD 6800XT Red Devil / 32GB Gskill Trident Neo DDR4 3600 / 2x ADATA XPG 8200pro NVME / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / EVGA Supernova 750 GT PSU / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance /

Asus VG34VQL3A / Schiit Bifrost DAC+ Schiit Asgard AMP /  Sennheiser HD 558 / Thrustmaster T.16000M + TFRP Rudders

4 hours ago, rpowers said:

That video card will not do it... sorry.

Bert

10 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

That video card will not do it... sorry.

It TECHNICALLY is actually the exact card that MS specified as the absolute minimum for the sim.

But minimum in Microsoft Talk just means the sim will actually start up, being flyable at useable settings may be another matter entirely.

The GTX 770 is actually similar to a 1050ti in performance BUT that 2GB VRAM will be the real killer as2GB is just not enough, even 4GB is pushing the friendship