Sign in to follow this  

FSX XP vs Vista Screenshot Comparisons

I've done the best I can to get same settings in both, same ATI Control catalyst options (for AA, AF etc), and as near as I can same sort of view - but its hard with 2 seperate OS, with 2 different installations of FSX - anyway this is the best I can doDefinately for some reason, there is NO FSAA or AF being applied in XP - with my ATI X1900XT anyway, textures don't look as sharp as in Vista either, and I'm fairly sure its not all to do with the FSAA and AF not being applied it seems more than that.XP FSX screenies seem "muddy" looking to me.First out of each pair = XP - 2nd Vista Differences are more obvious at original screen res shots of 1600x1200 -but hopefully you can still see quite a difference.Your comments are welcome.cheers, Mark.fsx-comp-11.jpgfsx-comp-12.jpgnext pairfsx-comp-21.jpgfsx-comp-22.jpgnext pairfsx-comp-31.jpgfsx-comp-32.jpg

Guest EGLD

Great screenshotsIs Vista now running DirectX 10? From what I hear the latest builds (5840 and RTM) have DirectX 10, or has that been the case throughout the beta cycle?Geoff

not sure to be honest - if I do dxdiag, it says Directx10 - but not sure if that means anything or not - I'm not sure if it really is.I'm using build 5744don't get me wrong, I'm no (well wasn't) Vista fan-boy -it ran games like a dog only a few months back when I was trying out Beta 2 and RC1 - but the combo of RC2 + ATIs RC2 driver -its superb. Now my operating system of choice out of my 2 boots.Mark.

I can't really emphasise how much of a difference I've found the whole game in Vista vs XP.until 3 days ago, FSX was the most disappointing game I had bought for a long long while, and I was playing it very sporadically, playing my other games instead.Under Vista though - I haven't been able to peel myself away from FSX - it now looks good with decent enough performance.Mark.

Guest EGLD

I'm wondering if Vista is now in full DirectX 10 'mode', it might explain the differences in the screenshots here, and the fact FS9 does not work for me in Vista 5840, 3D is all screwed upFSX however, runs fantastic in 5840...ThanksGeoff

not sure if it would make a difference, as the ATI driver will be DX9, and my card is DX9 only too.I too get some weirdies though - Lockon is superb under Vista -but above clouds, and clouds are purple !Gothic 3 - is a screen full of large textures ! like if you overclock too high.What card do you have ?Mark.

Not really know what the point of this thread is.You're comparing what FSX looks like in XP under DX9 to what it looks like in the pre-release version of Vista running on a DX9 card under DX9?

Because(1) With my X1900XT I can only get FSAA and AF to work in FSX (Enabling it in game in XP does add a bit of FSAA - but it seems to be a sofware based FSAA IMO, and no AF applied)(2) I'm getting sharper textures (could be due to AF not being applied in XP)(3) With all the above, I'm getting better performance, smoother performance (much less stutters) - its just hard to do a comparison one to the other -but performance is definately better.Hence why the thread.Mark.

Interesting. I really couldn't see a difference based on the screenshots (maybe due to size compression here in the forums), but If I am hearing you correctly, all things being equal, just using Vista improves quality of the picture and improves fps? Nothing else?

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

>Vista has had DX10 since at least Beta2.Then it's time to retry this experiment with a new nV 8800 DX10 card, unless there are no DX10 drivers for it.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Correct me if im wrong, but DX10 effects will not appear until a patch from the Aces team activates all the benefits of DX10, even if you have FSX running on Vista, right? By the way I

Bring it on MS/Vista/DX10/Patch! FSX sales will go up (in my house anyway) when this happens!

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X