Sign in to follow this  
FAZZ3

Strange workaround discovered by people with rain issues

There is a post in the forum where a user was complaining that the depiction of rain in the sim wasn't as advertised. One of the replies mentioned that some people found a workaround where swapping their graphics cable from a Display Port cable to an HDMI cable appeared to solve the issue.

This shouldn't technically be possible and could easily be attributed to damaged connecters in the DP cable, but worth giving a shot if you'd like to try.

There’s a thread about this on the Bugs subsection, and it’s really weird, but some people are reporting seeing rain properly when switching from the Displayport to the HDMI output on their Graphics cards.

Really really weird if it’s true, but worth a try if you’ve got that option.

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/rain-as-advertised/307925/26

Posted it yesterday. But I tried by myself and didn't see much difference, if any. 

What I noticed is that with live weather, no heavy rain or even wet runways are present.

2 minutes ago, aleex said:

What I noticed is that with live weather, no heavy rain or even wet runways are present.

I've seen heavy rain and wet runways with live weather. I even posted here a couple times when that happened so people could check it out. 

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

There is surely no way the this could be caused by using a Display Port cable instead of HDMI. It's not possible. Using one cable over another would surely not cause a particular graphical feature to not display.

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, steve310002 said:

There is surely no way the this could be caused by using a Display Port cable instead of HDMI. It's not possible. Using one cable over another would surely not cause a particular graphical feature to not display.

I know.  It doesn't seem possible, but a lot of people are reporting it.  Maybe it is more of a driver issue?

I have a display port cable at home.  I will try it when I get back home tonight.  I thought I was seeing rain on the windshield alright, but it will be an easy switch for me to HDMI, so I will have to prove it for myself and report back.

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

I've extremely sceptical about this and think it's more a placebo effect taking place with the users.

• Like 1

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

51 minutes ago, Alvega said:

I've seen heavy rain and wet runways with live weather. I even posted here a couple times when that happened so people could check it out. 

me too.   

9 minutes ago, MarcG said:

I've extremely sceptical about this and think it's more a placebo effect taking place with the users.

Yeah..  it's amazing what people's minds tell them...  one of the ones on the officical forums was about a display issue and someone posted a fix and 20 - 30 people all said it was wonderful..  the issue was the fix was only for 4k resolution and after enquiry.. none of the people seeing an improvement were using 4k, and the change was irrelevant except at 4k 🙂

Graham

• Like 2

System specs...   CPU AMD5950,  GPU AMD6900XT,  ROG crosshair VIII Hero motherboard, Corsair 64 gig LPX 3600 mem, Air cooling on GPU,   Kraken x pump cooling on CPU.  Samsung G7 curved 27" monitor at 2k resolution ULTRA default settings.

The trick is NOT to connect the cable to the monitor when there's a full moon!😊 Having a black cat in the same room also can cause all kinds of issues.
An HDMI cable might be less susceptible to full moons but is also not cat-proof. VGA is good as long as the cat doesn't meow (or chew on the cable, I always forget which is causing problems).

• Like 2

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
AV: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 monitor | Logitech Z906 speakers
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5

Is it already the first of April 😄

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

Entirely possible. The latest HDMI standard supports a dedicated 'cockpit rain effects'  signal (see table) signal, whe're as DP multiplexes this with all effects.formatdataratetable-100743742-large.jpg

• Like 1

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

1 hour ago, odourboy said:

Entirely possible. The latest HDMI standard supports a dedicated 'cockpit rain effects'  signal (see table) signal, whe're as DP multiplexes this with all effects.

I hope I'm not the only one who spent more time than I should have scouring that chart.....🎣🎣🎣

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, aleex said:

Posted it yesterday. But I tried by myself and didn't see much difference, if any. 

Reguralery have it on various european airport. And once in canada. But using unreal weather. 

17 minutes ago, wthomas33065 said:

I hope I'm not the only one who spent more time than I should have scouring that chart.....🎣🎣🎣

I'm sorry. That was mean of me. My warped sense of humour some times gets the better of me. Lol

Edited by odourboy
  • Like 2

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

7 minutes ago, odourboy said:

I'm sorry. That was mean of me. My warped sense of humour some times gets the better of me. Lol

Well Played....Well Played.....

Workaround: dip your Displayport connector in Snake Oil.

• Like 2

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB