Sign in to follow this  
Ricardo41

"Study-Level" Aircrafts Do Not Require Payware Addons

As the dedicated team at Working Title demonstrates almost daily, a dedicated group of freeware modders can achieve work similar (and in many cases even better work) compared to what payware developers deliver.

Happy Days are here again!

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

you meant "Study-Level" Aircraft" ......

• Like 1

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

Yep, I can only hope that either they or the Flybywire team have a go at the 747 and 787 as the two folks working on those don't seem to have much resource (people). Am loving the A320 Flybywire but a couple of attempts of the CJ7 indicate a very steep learning curve. I really want to fly the 787 though but it is pretty buggy at the moment but not so much a stretch from the A320 as the CJ7. I suspect then that the 747 will be not much of a stretch from the 787.

CJ

• Like 1

Leepu from "Chop Shop: London Garage" also builds interesting cars, but i wouldn't compare his vehicles to an Mercedes Benz.

• Like 6
  • Upvote 2

System: i9 9900k@4.9 - 32 GB RAM - Aorus 1080ti --- Sim/Addons: P3D v5 + ProSim737
Signature3.png

3 minutes ago, JoeFackel said:

Leepu from "Chop Shop: London Garage" also builds interesting cars, but i wouldn't compare his vehicles to an Mercedes Benz.

The Fly by Wire team and Workling Title Team are far from "Chop Shop". What they are doing is taking that clunker of a Mercedes Benz and turning it into a high performance tar ripping Audi.

🙂 

• Like 10

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

I have been VERY impressed by FBW’s efforts so far, however, there are many, many miles to go before they rest...

Their dogged pursuit is admirable and laudatory, and I wish them every success!

C

• Like 3

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

I fail to see why the admirable work done on the default aircraft means in anyway that we wouldn't need payware top-tier aircraft.  

The hobby is what it is today because of all those who brought us wonderful toys over the years   : PMDG, FSL, A2A, Majestic, Milviz, QW etc etc.  and I expect to see them still  releasing their good stuff for the new sim. 

And I hope that these talented new teams, WT and FBW or even a reborn ReaiAIr,  will soon crank out their own payware. They deserve it.

• Like 2

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

8 minutes ago, Dominique_K said:

I fail to see why the admirable work done on the default aircraft means in anyway that we wouldn't need payware top-tier aircraft.  

True, but there is no payware top-tier 737-800 on X-plane and I'm sure the existence of the Zibo mod has played into the commercial decisions surrounding that.  The A320 is a different beast due to its complexity (there's top-tier and toppest-tier) but I can see mid-range developers (without mentioning names) looking hard at what flybywiresim are doing.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, lzamm said:

True, but there is no payware top-tier 737-800 on X-plane and I'm sure the existence of the Zibo mod has played into the commercial decisions surrounding that.  The A320 is a different beast due to its complexity (there's top-tier and toppest-tier) but I can see mid-range developers (without mentioning names) looking hard at what flybywiresim are doing.

Can the modded 320 reach the FSL level  ? If it is possible, it will take time and will require, at some point, the help of Asobo which, according to them, depends on Airbus goodwill.  I don't think this is the objective. Having a good mid-level 320 is and that should give some simmers the taste to go further. Asobo should be commended to have build the foundation of better default airliners Neither p3D or FSX have released such FM-based aircraft. Asobo did, pity that they didn't walk the extra mile.

For the GA aircraft, the field of desirable aircraft is so huge that it is also non sensical to say that we don't need top -tier payware.  We do. 

Finally, it seems that the flawed turboprop default architecture does not allow much improvement as it is.   

To be glad and grateful to see the job made by modders doesn't mean that payware cannot be also desirable. Glad to see the modders cut their teeth on the default aircraft. We need more payware aircraft developers in the years to come.😉.

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

It is very impressive what we've seen in the zibo and the most current MSFS airbus mod.  Pretty amazing actually.  However, I don't think we've seen anything in these projects that has surpassed the best payware aircraft.  I don't mean that as an insult either.  

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

43 minutes ago, lzamm said:

Interesting comment. I am pretty sure Aerosoft said they will do their a320 next after the CRJ. Presumably that would not release until maybe 6-12 months from now and so it will be interesting to see where the freeware alternative is then.

7 minutes ago, micstatic said:

I don't think we've seen anything in these projects that has surpassed the best payware aircraft.

The sim is out about 2 months out. Let's revisit this in a year. Working Title has already left Carenado behind, the FlyByWire team is taking a deep bite out of Aerosoft's market, and, I predict, will soon be nipping at the heel of other Airbus developers.

The community modders also seem to be able to respond quickly.  They are golden in my eyes and anything they do is gratefully accepted. 

I never expected this much progress on so many improvement projects after such little time.  Really inspiring and uplifting. 
It makes me feel like I want to contribute myself, but with my level of understanding, all I have been able to do up to now it modify a paint chip on the default C172 with the guidance of SteveDRA! 😁

• Like 2

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

It seems to me that there are quite a few people here that don't seem to realise that MSFS has changed the playing field. There is no need to pay big money for amazing planes. We are also not at the point yet when Asobo have released any of their own DLC planes beyond the Deluxe etc. We also have not hit the point where the Xbox version has been released and this is going to force improvements in the default planes by Asobo as mods will be impossible and console owners will not accept broken planes.

• Like 3