Sign in to follow this  
ChaoticBeauty

28th October Developer Q&A: Begins at 10:30 AM PDT

31 minutes ago, Victoroos said:

where is the LOD config file? I searched but didn't find it...

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D, 64GB DDR5 6000MHZ RAM, RTX 2080Super 

3 hours ago, omarsmak30 said:

By the way, very important point was mentioned, the performance. Seb mentioned, with the new performance optimisation that is coming in the next update (update 6 if not mistaken), we will see less of CPU bound and more with GPU bound, which means in my understanding, we can even push the LOD harder through the configuration file as much as our GPUs can handle, I have noticed if I'd use LOD 3.0 (set in the config file), it was always CPU bound issue rather than GPU bound issue.

This ^^ could be one of the most important things. 

Any interest or discussion of improving turboprop starting sequence and performance?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RaptyrOne said:

I don't think that Asobo should be concerned about this though. It is not their fault, nor Microsoft's. They can't be blamed for peoples unstable internet connections. Having to limit ones download speed to "1-3Mbps" by purchasing a $20 piece of software is absurd, especially when you are working with multi-GB downloads. Change internet service providers, buy a better router/modem and LAN cables and/or network card (or motherboard) for your PC or format and re-install Windows even. That's not Asobo's issue. I was running 50 Mbps and now took advantage of a limited time promotion to upgrade to 100Mbps at no extra charge - downloading multi-GB updates at these speeds is an absolute breeze. 

27 minutes ago, devgrp said:

How is Asobo to blame for people's bad internet connection. They need to talk to their isp. Me and thousands of people have no problems downloading and installing the game. 

They shouldn't be to blame for ISP problems, no... And I haven't personally had ANY issues with downloading MSFS or any of its updates...

BUT a software that relies heavily on large downloads should implement a method to check the downloaded files, and to resume broken downloads without restarting the entire download. This is what download managers already did 20 years ago, that's what the Steam client does (including a verification of all files in a game's directory on a user's request). It's pretty simple: break down the archive files into a reasonable size, verify MD5 sums for the unpacked contents, and if you want to be extra safe, add a certain amount of error correction codes. This is a basic, straight-forward approach that has been standard for more than a decade, and if I had to implement this, I wouldn't even consider skipping these data integrity checks. 

It shouldn't be up to the user to identify and clean up broken downloads themselves, and from what I've read on various forums, I'm still convinced that even users with good connections of 100-1000 Mbps run into these issues and have to re-download with a bandwidth limiter at <5Mbps in order to make it work.

I've had relatively few issues and I'm a mostly happy user of MSFS, but it kind of makes me scratch my head about how there can still be unresolved download issues 2 months after release.

• Like 2

My simming system: AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 Ti Super 16GB, LG 38" 3840x1600

18 hours ago, leprechaunlive said:

In other news, France is going back to lockdown mode for Covid, and with Asobo studios being in France, possibly many delays ahead of us. 

Most of these people are already working remotely. There's absolutely no excuse for delays in this day in age, the productivity for the software dev company I work for increased 37% since March actually.

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

17 minutes ago, Drumcode said:

Most of these people are already working remotely. There's absolutely no excuse for delays in this day in age, the productivity for the software dev company I work for increased 37% since March actually.

OH really? There's a pandemic, lots of people out of a job and you're saying there should be no delay? 🤦🏿‍♂️ You sound entitled. Let's just Forget about the devs who may have had deaths in their families or whatever hardships they are going through right now 🤦🏿‍♂️ 

10 minutes ago, devgrp said:

OH really? There's a pandemic, lots of people out of a job and you're saying there should be no delay? 🤦🏿‍♂️ You sound entitled. Let's just Forget about the devs who may have had deaths in their families or whatever hardships they are going through right now 🤦🏿‍♂️ 

LOL, now you're pushing the scenarios. Asobo is very well alive and kicking and still hiring during the pandemic, seems to me like they're pretty busy and staying on course to ship the updates according to the timeline. 

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

1 hour ago, devgrp said:

How is Asobo to blame for people's bad internet connection. They need to talk to their isp. Me and thousands of people have no problems downloading and installing the game. 

I do not have a bad internet connection just a slow one and until BT update their copper wire to fibre it wont change anytime soon.

But that is not the problem as I did the original installation and previous updates without a problem, but the last update just kept stopping at the same point  on both the update and on reinstallation, also after following the guidance I referenced in FAQ It installed without the use of a NetLimter so as far as I am concerned there is a installation problem that needs addressing by Asbo/Microsoft, particularly as they know of it as referenced by their own FAQ's.

Mick

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, RW1 said:

I think the vote system they have going for bug fixes caters purely for the arcade gamers and has no real benefit for us simmers. 

Is the money in arcade gamers or the simmers?  Perhaps the answer to that question reveals their strategy.

1 hour ago, devgrp said:

Unfortunately their servers are rubbish and slow. I have a 1gbps connection and the in-game world loads very slowly.

5 minutes ago, GodAtum said:

Unfortunately their servers are rubbish and slow. I have a 1gbps connection and the in-game world loads very slowly.

My connection is slower and I'm connected to wifi and I've had no problems downloading, updating or scenery loading and I'm sure others are fine too. Just because you have a f fast internet doesn't mean your isp is not to blame. For all we know they could be blocking or limiting your download because they are seeing all this data 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, mickatmian said:

I do not have a bad internet connection just a slow one and until BT update their copper wire to fibre it wont change anytime soon.

But that is not the problem as I did the original installation and previous updates without a problem, but the last update just kept stopping at the same point  on both the update and on reinstallation, also after following the guidance I referenced in FAQ It installed without the use of a NetLimter so as far as I am concerned there is a installation problem that needs addressing by Asbo/Microsoft, particularly as they know of it as referenced by their own FAQ's.

Mick

Never had any problems downloading the game or updates. I've installed the game on release day and have updated it problem free every time and I'm on a wifi connection 

I have a very slow connection but never had problems downloading from Steam or other services in general. Issues like a big file download continuously restarting, or the game attempting to start up without having downloaded everything (only solution was to delve into its complex file structure and delete the most recent downloaded file) cannot be blamed on the ISP.

On launch day the game was review-bombed on Steam due to installation issues, with about 40% of reviews being negative. Not everyone had the issues of course, but it was an abnormally high amount of users nevertheless. The installation manager was utter trash at launch, and there's no excuse.

The last two updates went very smoothly for me which suggests that there was an improvement, but there is still a small amount of people experiencing issues with Microsoft's CDN, and the installation manager could still use some improvements to reduce the wasted GPU usage and add a download rate limiter. At least the music is now muted when minimised.

• Like 1