Sign in to follow this  
B777ER

P3D 5.1 Released

I tend to give LM more time. Maybe they would have needed more time but feeled to be forced to deliver because of the MSFS performance? However, this doesn't make sense to me, does it?

Stating in the change log that EA is virtually working but it isn't .... something must be wrong here. Maybe this discrepancy will be resolved soon. That's my hope.

Karl

i9-9900K@5,0   |  32GB 3200  |  2080TI  |  4K 55"  |  MSFS | P3D V5

Wow I got 750 FPS solid with settings maxed out!!!

• Like 1

I7-8086K Delid OC Synced all cores 5.2  Corsair Hydro Series, H115i PRO ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC)  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 SLI CORSAIR HXi Series HX1200i 1200W G.SKILL TridentZ Series 64GB DDR4 3200 Windows 10 Pro 64

PMDG 737NGX

3 hours ago, Boeingnut said:

Mine went up an entire gig

Ok, so still not a usable feature for those of us that don't have $1,200 cards.

• Like 1

hope that AMD will deliver this time. 

999 USD for near 3090 performance. 

sfo_a320.png

C. W. ,Ryzen 9 5950X @H2O , 32 GB RAM DDR4 3600 Mhz CL15 , Corsair MP600 Pro Watercooled 2 TB for P3D, Samsung SSD980 1 TB for Addons and Crucial MMX500,  Red Devil Ultimate 6900 XT

I took it for a test drive after uninstalling P3D a few months back.  Well....I've still got white shimmering artifacts around objects when I'm on the ground.  I thought that was fixed with EA leaving beta.  Am I doing something wrong?  A setting I need to enable or something?  This is a clean install and I reinstalled Windows months back so nothing was hanging leftover somewhere.

Just took it for a quick spin. I see a couple of improvements, including the ability of EA to now have multiple precipitation layers. Performance for me is the same that it was with HF2 - I see absolutely no change here, nothing better or worse. So, I do not see an extra gig in VRAM usage, as other have see. My FPS also hasn't changed for all I can tell. It also seems to me that the appearance of EA clouds has improved. They always looked rather blobby and undefined to me, and in that respect I see some improvement.

However, a lot of the things that made EA look less than ideal are still there. The 'raster clouds' that some mentioned for instance... This looks a little ridiculous. The haze that people mentioned is also still there. I don't think it's entirely unrealistic, as this haze can certainly exist depending on pollution levels and such, but 5.1 doesn't give you the ability to reduce it to a scenario where the sky is actually completely clear and visibility is unlimited.

Overall, I was hoping for a more substantial improvement. I can only hope that as I start to load in more sceneries, things remain stable and the improvements that were made in 5.1 will show.

By the way, I could have sworn that scenery objects and autogen has separate distance sliders in HF2. I don't see them anymore... Instead I see a single slider that governs both. Did LM indeed revert from the separate sliders back to the single? If so, that is kind of a bummer...

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

1 minute ago, Benjamin J said:

However, a lot of the things that made EA look less than ideal are still there. The 'raster clouds' that some mentioned for instance... This looks a little ridiculous. The haze that people mentioned is also still there. I don't think it's entirely unrealistic, as this haze can certainly exist depending on pollution levels and such, but 5.1 doesn't give you the ability to reduce it to a scenario where the sky is actually completely clear and visibility is unlimited.

Try this out....set the WX to clear skies and visibility to 30.  This would be a very nice day in most places but in the sim using EA it gives you a milky haze and a visibility of what appears to be only 6 or 7 miles.  Climb or slew higher and you have no visibility whatsoever!  Visibility set to unlimited gives me what a 30 mile vis would actually look like IRL and yet there is still that odd 'haze' over the ground textures.  Very strange...I was really hoping for much better EA implementation but maybe TrueSky isn't all that it has been made out to be or maybe it is difficult to implement in the sim environment??  I will wait and see what HiFi does with their WX engine as they are good at manipulating this stuff.  Otherwise, I don't see a difference from 5.0 and EA still looks 'Beta' to me...disappointing as I now have 2 sims that really aren't working all that well.  Time to go back to the Truck Sims I guess....

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11

56 minutes ago, Chapstick said:

Ok, so still not a usable feature for those of us that don't have $1,200 cards.

lol True. My card is 6 gigs and does ok.

Fresh install - what I see is a glowing ocean at night.  Like someone's lighted swimming pool?!?

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

I saw that TrueSky implementation left beta and got excited. Apparently not. I'll shuffle back to v4.

Can I just say, v4 is the only version I've ever purchased. I know some people have supported this platform since v1. Come this November, it's taken LM 10 years to go from this:Lockheed-L749-Constellation.png
(32-bit BTW)

To this in 2020:16348707_ORBXKSEA.JPG.29e4f32f6fb037761d

10 years! I reckon in half that time you could almost build a sim from scratch and.. oh.

Glad I only bought v4, the only reasonable upgrade from FSX was the 64-bit. Everything else that's been bolted on has sort of worked usually but not totally.

• Like 11

P3Dv4 + XP11

MFS

I'm basically an MSFS convert but I have to give LM credit...  the atmospheric changes are very nice!  It's impressive what they've done with essentially 2006-based engine.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Gauges and panels as well as scenario object content can be built using HTML5 and JavaScript. ......Convert to MSFS?

Sad to say but... pack up the bags and shut her down.

no use in beating a dead  horse.

p3d has come along way. Thou it’s time to move on.

mike

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, mikeymike said:

Thou it’s time to move on.

No need to move on just yet. The aircraft are still the best in the class. Unfortunately the rest of the sim is just dragging the aircraft down. I think it's entered a spin now and with the altitude decreasing - recovery, while still possible, is becoming less and less likely.

Edited by suncoastflyer

P3Dv4 + XP11

MFS

I just updated to v5.1 (I updated client, content and scenery). Visually I do see a difference but not a huge difference. I don't know why but I am not sold that EA is fully stable yet. I had lots of problems with EA in the other P3D versions so maybe that's why I don't trust it yet. I was only using v5.1 for about 10 minutes and I haven't had any problems others mentioned here.

Edit: I did notice that my AI aircraft that have PBR don't look very good with EA enabled.

Edited by Joseph29