Sign in to follow this  
B777ER

P3D 5.1 Released

One thing that seems to be true about making simulation platforms, it is that it is more difficult to achieve,  flawlessly,  than sending rockets into space.

Works okay, no better, no worse. Didn't have any expectations so no surprises and disappointments. Take care

ps Talking about the texturres being visible through clouds, the same thing can be observed in the MSFS. 

Edited by Johnny19
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Ivan Majetic

MAXIMUS XII HERO, i9 10900k, NZXT KRAKEN Z73, GIGABYTE RTX 3080 v2 OC, G.SKILL TridentZ DDR4 32 Gb, WD HDD 2TB, SAMSUNG 980PRO, SAMSUNG 970EVO Plus 2x, ASUS PG348Q

11 minutes ago, mpo910 said:

That's a typical attitude over there. It's always your setup or your addons, you're doing it wrong, you shouldn't be looking there, blah blah blah... It's a waste of time trying to report anything via that forum...

hours ago, Jeff_Fortuna said:

IMHO, a considerable number of people use a flight "simulator" to "fly" around and look at the scenery. [...] But it was a "simulator" - the graphics weren't all that important. Same applies today.

Respectfully, I think you're missing the point here. I doubt you'd find many users who expect MSFS-level visuals from P3D -- there's no point in making direct comparisons: different engines, different priorities, basically apples to oranges. I'm perfectly fine with the simplified landclass scenery in P3D as long as it's displayed without issues.

The thing is that the bulk of the criticism being voiced here is not about visual fidelity. It's about glaring issues, i.e. in-your-face visual glitches that you simply cannot "unsee". I can live with some pixelation along the outline of the plane in the external view, I don't use that view when flying, but when large pixelated blobs keep dancing around the magnetic compass right in front of me in the C172, that's rather distracting. The fog and haze depiction in v5 is absolutely fine, but when you're making an approach in reduced visibility and parts of the airport stick through the fog, that's also distracting. These issues were reported ad nauseam and nothing has been done about that. A brand-new "feature" in 5.1 is glowing oceans at night (this appears to come from inverted terrain reflections). So, it's not about unrealistic expectations... it's just about people's tolerance for sloppy work running low...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

5 hours ago, mikeymike said:

Your in denial. It’s ok.

mike

See you when you are back 

Edited by micstatic
  • Upvote 1

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

I still have p3d v3 but stopped upgrading due to the slow pace at LM and lack of new features. I think its always been the case that updates come slowly and a new point release was going to have minimal changes. It was why I jumped to x-plane and now msfs.

P3d is still pretty good though if you don't expect too much in each update and getting good performance with a mountain of addons was something most simmers never had not too long ago but now seems to be taken for granted.

Edited by sanh

Really happy with 5.1 here. It's not THAT different from 5.0, but there are noticeable improvements in the atmospherics, performance is still through the roof and, as usual, FSL doesn't work. I spend more time waiting for FSL's updates than actually flying the birds. I guess it's time for some more PMDG.

Anyway, thanks LM for your continued efforts in making this platform what it is today, truly enjoyable and reliable. I'm amazed at how many people have issues with this.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 6

CASE: Louqe S1 MKIII CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4070 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

9 minutes ago, sanh said:

I still have p3d v3 but stopped upgrading due to the slow pace at LM and lack of new features. I think its always been the case that updates come slowly. It was why I jumped to x-plane and now msfs.

P3d is still pretty good though if you don't expect too much in each update and getting good performance with a mountain of addons was something most simmers wished for not too long ago but now seems to be taken for granted.

I don’t just want updates for updates sake.  The aircraft are what keep me coming back. I don’t need updates to keep me from getting bored. If you stopped at v3 you missed a ton 

Edited by micstatic

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

53 minutes ago, mpo910 said:

I responded to that....

• Upvote 1

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

This is my problem with p3dv5.1

As said this is what 5.0 should have been, they released it to soon to compete with FS2020, It backfired ...

I do not need FS2020 in my life i just need a well functioning p3dv5.1. I do not care to much about EA , if it works , release it, if it doesn't, don't or keep it in BETA and not use it as a marketing tool.

It performs worse in most areas, still has the dreaded flashing clouds and freezes. For the flightmodel i use for my sim p3d is the ONLY option so i really want it to work well. I do not need an eye candy factory just something that works!!!

Too many issues for my liking, it shows that v5.0 was not ready at all and v5.1 kinda is ,you would expect them to do better in 8 months but then again i am not a software developer just a simple pilot 

• Upvote 1

...though, better to wait until V5.1 HF1 will be released?!🤪

Bernd

P3D V6 -  PC spec: Intel i9-9900 overclocked 5 GHz HT off, 32 GB RAM, GPU Nvidia RTX3090 24GB, 2xM2 SSD, Skalarki HomeCockpit and Jeehell FMGS on a dedicated Server, PF3 for ATC, MCE, GSX, EFB, AS+ASCA+ENV and OrbXpf3-supporter.gif

3 minutes ago, BerndB said:

...though, better to wait until V5.1 HF1 will be released?!🤪

I would wait for Prepar3d V8.3 🤪

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, suncoastflyer said:

I saw that TrueSky implementation left beta and got excited. Apparently not. I'll shuffle back to v4.

Can I just say, v4 is the only version I've ever purchased. I know some people have supported this platform since v1. Come this November, it's taken LM 10 years to go from this:Lockheed-L749-Constellation.png
(32-bit BTW)

To this in 2020:16348707_ORBXKSEA.JPG.29e4f32f6fb037761d

10 years! I reckon in half that time you could almost build a sim from scratch and.. oh.

Glad I only bought v4, the only reasonable upgrade from FSX was the 64-bit. Everything else that's been bolted on has sort of worked usually but not totally.

And if they did build a new sim from scratch with V5, and none of your existing add-ons worked, this forum would be flooded with complaints about that.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

Alan

on my side the performnace  is much more worse then with 5.0. a real stuttering mess it is now......

Carsten U

Just now, RTK1972 said:

on my side the performnace  is much more worse then with 5.0. a real stuttering mess it is now......

Tried deleting all shaders and rebuild cfg?

EASA PPL SEPL ( NQ , EFIS, Variable Pitch, SLPC, Retractable undercarriage)
B23 / PA32R / PA28 / DA40 / C172S 

MSFS | X-Plane 12 |

same here, traffic has a real bad impact upon performance, had to turn it way down now it is acceptable again.

It seems that supersampling a bit better , not sure but it seems that way