Sign in to follow this  
ah2511

P3Dv5.1 and VR

OK. I tested this. Have Motion Smoothing set to ENABLE or FORCED ON is the smoothest. Water to High. Ultra does stutter a lot!

ASP3D move via windows affinity to core 9,8,7,6 to avoid ASP3D on Core 0.1.2 does also help.

I use HP Reverb with 188% in SteamVR and 2xMSAA in P3D.

Good for me....but P3D is still not optimized for VR. 

Single pass mode is also on

I can fly FSLabs at EDDF with GPU 21.5 ms- 22.1ms Frametimes. Is smoother as it was before.

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

37 minutes ago, mpo910 said:

Good for me....but P3D is still not optimized for VR

Have you tried 100% SS in SteamVR with the Reverb (about 2200x2200 render res) ? I believe 188% is overkill and won't change much visually with the Reverb.

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

52 minutes ago, mpo910 said:

OK. I tested this. Have Motion Smoothing set to ENABLE or FORCED ON is the smoothest. Water to High. Ultra does stutter a lot!

ASP3D move via windows affinity to core 9,8,7,6 to avoid ASP3D on Core 0.1.2 does also help.

Good for me....but P3D is still not optimized for VR. 

Single pass mode is also on

I can fly FSLabs at EDDF with GPU 21.5 ms- 22.1ms Frametimes. Is smoother as it was before.

Great, so I'll update the post on P3D LM Forum. Id like to have improve of Ultra settings for VR. 🙂

Edited by YoYo
  • Like 1

Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.
Yoyosimsbanner.gif
Win 10 64, i9 9900k, RTX 3090 24Gb, RAM32Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: HP Reverb G2

13 minutes ago, RXP said:

Have you tried 100% SS in SteamVR with the Reverb (about 2200x2200 render res) ? I believe 188% is overkill and won't change much visually with the Reverb.

Not for 3090 ;). Belive me.

Yoyosimsbanner.gif
Win 10 64, i9 9900k, RTX 3090 24Gb, RAM32Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: HP Reverb G2

1 hour ago, mpo910 said:

OK.

What is nice on 3090 you can fly also with EA weather in VR but (what is impossible for me on 2080Ti) ... personally I dont like it. Too many bugs and boxed clouds ;).

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

since yesterday there is a new WMR Update "out" released with windows 10 which should bring several visual optimizations and performance gain. All the aspects, which can be read on official Microsoft pages, count for the Reverb G2, but lots of them also for other WMR devices like Reverb G1 and Samsung Od+.

I can not really see if it has already bin updated on my rig. But I did uninstall by WMR app this morning and deleted all drivers. Then I installed the app again. I got a pretty smooth experience which also counts to some contributions from @YoYo. We tested yesterday evening some settings and at least we can state, that Water on Ultra is causing lots of stutters within VR WMR.

Keep an eye on the update!

Marcus

Here is the link to the article:

https://www.vrfocus.com/2020/11/microsoft-update-improves-visuals-for-hp-reverb-g2-wmr-headsets/

Another article:

https://virtualrealitybrisbane.com/windows-update-includes-visual-improvements-for-hp-g2-reverb-and-other-headsets-wmr/

Edited by mpo910
  • Like 1

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

Thx for news!

• Like 1

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

On 11/11/2020 at 5:20 PM, peteregan3 said:

pe11e

here's how i run on my system ( TIP: you need steam vr installed, it's free 😊)

(framerate locked to 42 in sim (no nausea, smooth))

1- launch oculus app

2- launch oculus debug tool, disable ASW and Adaptive GPU Scaling. (find it here C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-diagnostics)

3- launch steam vr app   

4-run P3d      

5- in P3D menu - Virtual Reality- USE STEAM VR

this gives me super smooth flights, i think steam vr uses only the oculus service and this frees up resources for the sim.

i use Simstarter NG   to launch P3D because i like the options it gives, but i never get less than 40fps and i find this more than adequate,

all the best, pete

Thank you for these tips!

But I think it works only with default aircrafts. As soon as I load a bit more complex addons, not to mention airliners, FPS dips to between 20-30, makes the sim very choppy without ASW, and with it it's far from great as ASW needs at least stable 27 in the worst case (Rift S).

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

I get a much smoother experience in SteamVR, especially using your tips YoYo. However I’m having a couple of issues with my 3090+CV1:

1. The entire image shakes. It’s almost like it’s vibrating. This doesn’t happen in Oculus Home, and doesn’t seem to be a tracking issue since it happens regardless of where I am

2. A smaller thing, but if I want to restart SteamVR it will prompt me that if I close SteamVR that this will also close P3D, which it does if I confirm. Is there a way to close/restart SteamVR without closing P3D?

Cheers!

4 minutes ago, ah2511 said:

2. A smaller thing, but if I want to restart SteamVR it will prompt me that if I close SteamVR that this will also close P3D, which it does if I confirm. Is there a way to close/restart SteamVR without closing P3D?

Cheers!

About 2:

That is something that I saw too since V5.X. Before I could close SteamVR without the prompt to close P3D. A little annoying because if you want to change settings, you always must close both....that takes time.

About 1:

What is your VR Setting with in the P3D menu? There are 2 settings (one with "update" and another one which I can not recall at the moment).

For WMR you need "Update" for sure.....

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

53 minutes ago, mpo910 said:

About 2:

That is something that I saw too since V5.X. Before I could close SteamVR without the prompt to close P3D. A little annoying because if you want to change settings, you always must close both....that takes time.

Yes thats true, the same, but I dont know its 5.1 or any of the last update of SteamVR did it.

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

7 hours ago, mpo910 said:

About 1:

What is your VR Setting with in the P3D menu? There are 2 settings (one with "update" and another one which I can not recall at the moment).

For WMR you need "Update" for sure.....

I’ve tried both pre render and update, neither seem to make a difference 😞

6 hours ago, ah2511 said:

I’ve tried both pre render and update, neither seem to make a difference 😞

I've experimented a little more with this and interestingly I only get the vibration/shaking with SteamVR when in the VC. It doesn't happen in spot/avatar views.

I've tried non-chaseplane views, default vs. addon aircraft and it happens in every VC.

On 11/14/2020 at 4:22 AM, Pe11e said:

Thank you for these tips!

But I think it works only with default aircrafts. As soon as I load a bit more complex addons, not to mention airliners, FPS dips to between 20-30, makes the sim very choppy without ASW, and with it it's far from great as ASW needs at least stable 27 in the worst case (Rift S).

hi

apart from the Robinson i ONLY use 3rd party aircraft so i don't think it's that.

maybe you need to have a look at your settings, here's what i've found applies to MY system using VR:

Autogen draw distance is the biggest framerate hit - set it to LOW.

Turn OFF dynamic reflections - they aren't needed with PBR models.

Higher pixel densities affect latency when looking at panels.

Tailor your settings to your aircraft - If flying a complex jetliner turn autogen buildings off and trees to low etc.

if you have a decent graphics card you can set opaque shadow texture size to  4096, vc texture size to 4096, high res textures to ON, and use TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=9 in your config and the sim looks lovely.

here's the display settings i use for High Performance Aircraft.

Display

Image and Texture Quality

FXAA:  
Off
AA:  
4xSSAA
Texture Filtering:  
Anisotropic 16x
Texture Resolution:  
Ultra (4096x4096)
Dynamic Texture Streaming:  
Off

Full Screen Settings

Black-out Desktop:  
[1]
Auto-fill Main View:  
[1]

Frame Rate Controls

VSync:  
Off
Triple Buffering:  
Off
Target frame rate:  

View and Panel Settings

Variable Refresh Rate:  
Off
Wide-view Aspect Ratio:  
[0]
Mipmap VC Panels:  
On
2-D panel transparency (%):  

World

Terrain

Level of detail radius:  
High
Tessellation Factor:  
Ultra
Mesh resolution:  
19 m
Texture resolution:  
7 cm
Use high-resolution terrain textures  
Off

Scenery Objects

Scenery complexity:  
Normal
Autogen and scenery draw distance:  
Low
Autogen vegetation density:  
Sparse
Autogen building density:  
None
Dynamic 3D Autogen Vegetation:  
Off

Water and Bathymetry

Water Detail:  
Low
Enable Bathymetry:  
Off

Reflections

Clouds:  
Off
Terrain:  
Off
User Vehicle:  
On
Vegetation:  
Off
SimObjects:  
Off
Buildings:  
Off

Special Effects

Special effects detail:  
Low
Special effects distance:  
Low

Weather

Cloud draw distance:  
80 miles / 128 km
Cloud coverage density:  
Maximum
Volumetric Fog  
On
Turbulence and thermal effects  
On
Windshield Effects  
On
Thermal visualization:  
None
Rate at which weather changes over time:  
No changes
Enhanced Atmospherics (Beta)  
On
Cloud Resolution  
Low
Godrays  
On

Lighting

Lighting

HDR lighting  
On
Auto Exposure:  
Off
Brightness:  
Bloom:  
Saturation:  

Lighting

Dynamic Reflections:  
Off
Dynamic Lighting:  
On
Aircraft landing lights illuminating ground:  
On
Lens flare:  
On

Shadows

Shadow Quality:  
Medium
Shadow Draw Distance:  
High

Object Shadows

Internal Vehicle Cast:  
On
Internal Vehicle Receive:  
On
External Vehicle Cast:  
On
External Vehicle Receive:  
On
SimObjects Cast:  
Off
SimObjects Receive:  
On
Vegetation Cast:  
Off
Vegetation Receive:  
On
Buildings Cast:  
Off
Buildings Receive:  
On
Particles:  
Off
Cloud Shadow Cast:  
Off
Terrain Shadow Cast:  
Off
NoShadow Flagged Content:  
Off

Someone test 5.1 HF1 in VR maybe?

Something new here?

Yoyosimsbanner.gif