Sign in to follow this  
ah2511

P3Dv5.1 and VR

Just installed 5.1 with the hotfix,uk2000 airports orbx global and latest version of Asp3d. Did a short flight about a hour using the pmdg ngxu with the rift s single pass mode, flight was very smooth with P3d settings at normal no shadows ea and dynamic lighting off. My 1080 card using 4.1 vram and FPS 39-40, I know I don’t have a lot of addons but I will run my sim like this for vr, overall very happy with this version of p3dv5.1.

jim

thank you,Jim

Asus Prime Z270-P| I7700k@4.6| 16gDDR4 3000 VengLpx|

Corsair H115aio Cooler| Evga GeForce 1080gpu|Corsair Rm750

3 hours ago, jimimac said:

Just installed 5.1 with the hotfix,uk2000 a....

So CRG,

For me it starts to be unplayble in VR, I had better results in P3Dv4.5 😞

https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6312&t=140551

For WMR I cant say that they did good job, on simply scenery I see still the stutter. Something is wrong in sync Update option. Big peaks on GPU and CPU, every few seconds. 

Edited by YoYo

Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.
Yoyosimsbanner.gif
Win 10 64, i9 9900k, RTX 3090 24Gb, RAM32Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: HP Reverb G2

I noticed a huge fps drop with EA on + Ultra clouds, fps is around 15 to 25. When I switched to High or Medium clouds, it was locked to 40, and with ASW on it was fairly smooth. Now I must find out is it better to run it via Oculus or Steam. Is it better with Update sync or Pre-render, etc. Tried NGXu with EA clouds on medium, medium LOD and scenery complexity, and it stuttered , a lot, fps was too low even for ASW to kick in properly. Maybe I should try to lock frames to 27 and force ASW (80hz/3).

Edited by Pe11e

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

2 hours ago, Pe11e said:

I noticed a huge fps drop with EA on + Ultra clouds, fps is around 15 to 25. When I switched to High or Medium clouds, it was locked to 40, and with ASW on it was fairly smooth. Now I must find out is it better to run it via Oculus or Steam. Is it better with Update sync or Pre-render, etc. Tried NGXu with EA clouds on medium, medium LOD and scenery complexity, and it stuttered , a lot, fps was too low even for ASW to kick in properly. Maybe I should try to lock frames to 27 and force ASW (80hz/3).

I found oculus wasn’t a good experience at all. Running in steamVR with MR forced on gave me a much better experience.

I also had to manually roll back my oculus drivers to V12 (I think there’s a guide on reddit somewhere) to make it run nicely with SteamVR.

2 hours ago, YoYo said:

So CRG,

For me it starts to be unplayble in VR, I had better results in P3Dv4.5 😞

https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6312&t=140551

For WMR I cant say that they did good job, on simply scenery I see still the stutter. Something is wrong in sync Update option. Big peaks on GPU and CPU, every few seconds. 

What drivers are you using? I am on Oculus but found the best combo to be Nvidia 456.71 and running SteamVR beta...

10 minutes ago, ah2511 said:

I found oculus wasn’t a good experience at all. Running in steamVR with MR forced on gave me a much better experience.

I also had to manually roll back my oculus drivers to V12 (I think there’s a guide on reddit somewhere) to make it run nicely with SteamVR.

Are v12 drivers the previous version? Trying to find revert drivers thread via google, but no luck.

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

2 hours ago, mpo910 said:

Look here. Same issues especially with EA it gets worse and worse

https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6312&t=140546

Also opened a topic at LM with comparisons . Impact in 5.1 is heavy compared to 4.5 and more heavy with EA on

Marcus

Yep, thx for this. two steps back for WMR in 5.1. 😞

Yoyosimsbanner.gif
Win 10 64, i9 9900k, RTX 3090 24Gb, RAM32Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: HP Reverb G2

6 hours ago, ah2511 said:

What drivers are you using? I am on Oculus but found the best combo to be Nvidia 456.71 and running SteamVR beta...

The latest and newest - 457.30 but dont campare Oculus to WMR, both are different systems. Perhaps do you use Sync in Pre render option in VR settings also?

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

ive had a couple of CTDs in VR when accessing things like A2A menus. Currently the performance in VR for me is better than in the new kid on the block...

Nick Silver

http://www.youtube.com/user/socalf1fan

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb ddr4 3200mhz ram, RTX 3080 FE, HP Reverb G2 v2, 4K Tv Monitor

12 hours ago, jimimac said:

Just installed 5.1 with the hotfix,uk2000 airports orbx global and latest version of Asp3d. Did a short flight about a hour using the pmdg ngxu with the rift s single pass mode, flight was very smooth with P3d settings at normal no shadows ea and dynamic lighting off. My 1080 card using 4.1 vram and FPS 39-40, I know I don’t have a lot of addons but I will run my sim like this for vr, overall very happy with this version of p3dv5.1.

jim

i agree, this is definately the best experience i've had in any version of any flight sim. i look aroud in vr and am at amazed how far we have come. also for the first time i'm not feeling the need to mess around for hours trying to drag 2 more fps out or eliminate micro stutters (real or imagined). i fire up and fly, sometimes EA, sometimes not, any aircraft, any location, any time of day and just enjoy it. this is how it should be, so from me: well done LM. 

i certainly feel for you guys having problems , i've been there believe me. one thing scares me though...i'm going to buy a hp reverb g2, will i suddenly find WMR creates problems and i have to start messing about again.....🙈

specs: Asus rog maximus hero XI wi-fi mb

intel i9 10850k overclocked at 5.1 (corsair liquid cooled)

msi rtx 2070 super 8gig overclocked using afterburner

32gig corsair ram

1x samsung 1TB m.2 ssd, 1x samsung 500gb ssd

corsair 1000w psu

oculus rift s

win10, latest nvidia drivers, latest oculus drivers.

UK2000 + ORBX + fly tampa  airports, ORBX True Earth, ORBX regions, PMDG + A2A + milviz + justflight aircraft, GSX, UGCX, FS2crew, SimstarterNG P3d (fantastic) to launch it all.

all the best to you all, pete

9 minutes ago, peteregan3 said:

i agree, this is definately the best experience i've had in any version of any flight sim. i look aroud in vr and am at amazed how far we have come. also for the first time i'm not feeling the need to mess around for hours trying to drag 2 more fps out or eliminate micro stutters (real or imagined). i fire up and fly, sometimes EA, sometimes not, any aircraft, any location, any time of day and just enjoy it. this is how it should be, so from me: well done LM. 

i certainly feel for you guys having problems , i've been there believe me. one thing scares me though...i'm going to buy a hp reverb g2, will i suddenly find WMR creates problems and i have to start messing about again.....🙈

specs: Asus rog maximus hero XI wi-fi mb

intel i9 10850k overclocked at 5.1 (corsair liquid cooled)

msi rtx 2070 super 8gig overclocked using afterburner

32gig corsair ram

1x samsung 1TB m.2 ssd, 1x samsung 500gb ssd

corsair 1000w psu

oculus rift s

win10, latest nvidia drivers, latest oculus drivers.

UK2000 + ORBX + fly tampa  airports, ORBX True Earth, ORBX regions, PMDG + A2A + milviz + justflight aircraft, GSX, UGCX, FS2crew, SimstarterNG P3d (fantastic) to launch it all.

all the best to you all, pete

probably yes. I use the HP Reverb G1 now and waiting for the G2 and praying the HMD in combination with the drivers would have a positive influence on performance. But honestly I don´t think so.

WMR with P3D V5.1 has suffered the last releases since April. And going back to a Rift S is not an option for me, as the SDE is to much for me.

With HP Rev.G1 this was already to 98% eliminated. Sharp textures and only small ghosting. 

But my feeling says LM did "fiddle" around with something and something is not right.  It started with their "workaround" as they noticed the WMR7steam VR app does not handle something like they want to. This was the cause of the jitter we had back with V5.0 release. Then this "update" ad "pre render" setting came in the VR menu of P3D. This always had a bad taste I find.

Since then it was NEVER smooth again. And with EA on, the difference is much worser. As I wrote, 50 to 80% Frametime hit at CLEAR skies.

Just switching between EA on and EA off with clear skies did bring the evidence. Why is that? 

I little impact may always be normal. But going from 12ms to 20ms is way to heavy.

But we have little reports on LM support forum. Mostly only YoYo and I do report this. This may not be enough to get attention and a solution.

Marcus  

• Like 1

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

5 minutes ago, mpo910 said:

probably yes. I use the HP Reverb G1 now and waiting for the G2 and praying the HMD in combination with the drivers would have a positive influence on performance. But honestly I don´t think so.

WMR with P3D V5.1 has suffered the last releases since April. And going back to a Rift S is not an option for me, as the SDE is to much for me.

With HP Rev.G1 this was already to 98% eliminated. Sharp textures and only small ghosting. 

But my feeling says LM did "fiddle" around with something and something is not right.  It started with their "workaround" as they noticed the WMR7steam VR app does not handle something like they want to. This was the cause of the jitter we had back with V5.0 release. Then this "update" ad "pre render" setting came in the VR menu of P3D. This always had a bad taste I find.

Since then it was NEVER smooth again. And with EA on, the difference is much worser. As I wrote, 50 to 80% Frametime hit at CLEAR skies.

Just switching between EA on and EA off with clear skies did bring the evidence. Why is that? 

I little impact may always be normal. But going from 12ms to 20ms is way to heavy.

But we have little reports on LM support forum. Mostly only YoYo and I do report this. This may not be enough to get attention and a solution.

Marcus  

oh dear, so i'll be spending £640 to cause myself a whole load of heartache! 😬

2 hours ago, mpo910 said:

probably yes. I use the HP Reverb G1 now ....

According me they take wrong way for WMR in P3Dv5. 

Update Sync:

YDPw7hDl.jpg

Pre Render Sync:

wBw6X3hl.jpg

Pre Render here is the Holy Grail (and for example DCS use this). Why we have here Update option only for WMR in P3D I dont know. Pre render option doesnt work with WMR as it should with P3D, too many jittery but with very good FPS and frame time.

Second thing I started to investigate some of strange behavior in some of planes in v5 (it doesnt present in v4.5). It looks like a large momentary lag when you panning your head in Virtual Cockpit. Just for very short time but its very noticeable. Most of all, I noticed it in the older models that the developer ported to P3Dv5. Next I noticed that its connected with gauges (maybe old version or so) - but it wasnt present also in v4.5, after some time, when you see this big lag several times for no reason, you just don't want to fly. I found some articles about refresh rate of gauges (maybe it could be a problem if your HMD and sim works for example on 45 or 90 Hz but the gauge works with 18Hz - result lag, so maybe here is a problem also?) :

https://prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6312&t=124001&start=30#p154707 (PANELS_UPDATE_EVERY_FRAME=1)

https://www.prepar3d.com/SDKv4/prepar3d/getting_help/advanced_configuration.html ( PANEL_UPDATE_MODE = 2 , 0-3, I have Academic)

I will check it. Did you notice in WMR sometime this strange behovior even you have max FPS for example?

Here is example. I did it from camera so sorry for bad quality but you can see few this lag here (notice that I have stable 45 fps in this situation):

Opened topic about this https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6312&t=140559 .

Edited by YoYo
  • Like 1

Yoyosimsbanner.gif